The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

TP2000

Speaking of DL and pyro, so Micechat broke the news that Fantasy in the Sky will be making a return to DL on weekends starting in January, so they can replace infrastructure for the AMAZING (yes, I know things!) 60th pyro show that will debut in May.

Your confirmation on that MiceAge news is very good to hear! MiceAge has recently called the upcoming 60th Anniversary fireworks a "mega-show", so something is obviously brewing there in Anaheim for '15. I wonder when they'll finally announce it?

So far, officially, the management of DLR (see what I did there?) hasn't said a thing about any of the current backstage construction or online rumors of new parades (plural) and new fireworks and new World of Color and a Christmas star returning to the Matterhorn, etc., etc. Almost all of those rumors are coming from MiceAge, if you didn't leak or hint at them first. If the celebration starts in May of 2015, I wonder if we have to get all the way through Christmas before they actually admit they are doing anything in '15?

At the risk of burying this, don't be surprised if when all the Hub 'improvements' are completed if you have a dedicated upcharge lounge area (I am hesitant to use the word concierge because then @TP2000 will pop in and correctly point out that WDW has no clue what a real concierge is and doesn't employ any!) in MK ... I know that one will be coming to EPCOT in the next year (likely sooner than later) now that restaurant expansion is temporarily off the table as Disney scrambles to keep Spice Road Table from going seasonal.

Consider it unburied. With all the upcharge events they've rolled out, and rumors of a WDW version of Club 33 aimed at DVC renters instead of corporate clients and Newport Beach superfans, it wouldn't surprise me.

For now, I'll lay low on the faux Concierge service TDO tries to pawn off on their customers, as I don't want to beat a dead horse. But if in 2015 they actually launch that concept with a gushing set of talking points from one of the vapid personalities of the Disney Parks Blog, I'll gladly return to that topic with guns blazing. :cool:

Thanks for all you do here @WDW1974. Not sure if I've ever thanked you for your insight and contributions here. So, thank you.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I completely agree with your last paragraph. If there's a ride in the rumored Ministry of Magic I don't want it to be about Harry Potter again. Make it a tour or don't even have a ride and just make an amazingly themed indoor area where people can explore as they please.
or mix both.. ministry of magic as open as you say. but with a ride of the area of Department of Mysteries (leading to the Order of the Phoenix missions, including an Azkaban area)

TP2000

The only reason the advanced booking work for FP in FL is because they have 20+ resorts that r able to utilize it. I couldn't see then spending that much money for only 3 resorts in CA...it wouldn't work...

Heck, at DLR they don't even call them "resorts". They are simply "hotels". The whole property is a "Resort", but the 2,500 rooms in the three hotels are just known as humble "hotels". With heavy (and well deserved) emphasis on the word "Disneyland".

bd_dl_hotelsofdisney.gif

Last edited:

TP2000

I REALLY don't want to have this 'debate' ... but that just isn't true. DL and MK are both referred to as the MK. ... AND internally, at least, all castle parks are considered to be MKs.

Disneyland isn't just a Magic Kingdom, it's actually Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. The dude who built and owned the place. And it's been that way since 1955 when the park opened. Which is why they cloned the name for the Florida park 16 years later.

Disneyland%2BUSA%2BSidebar.jpg

And nearly 60 years later in the 2010's, millions of people per year pass through the park entry tunnels and hear the conductor still calling out the trains arriving from a "Grand circle tour of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!"

Not to mention the countless live spiels by 21st century CM's on classic rides like the Mark Twain, Storybookland, Disneyland Opera House, etc. who use the phrase "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom" in their live spiels and audience announcements over PA systems.

But you can just call it Disneyland for short.

seahawk7

Ya Big Bang is so cheesy I can't stand it! So many better nominees...

I am thrilled Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange both won for American Horror Story though! Can't wait for the new season!
I don't care for American Horror Story but, with that said, I do think it is a creative show and deserves the awards it gets.

seahawk7

I haven't been impressed by Big Bang Theory or Modern Family in years so seeing them win time after time has made me lose interest in watching the Emmy's.

Especially when Parks and Rec morphed into a live action Simpsons with a town full of interesting characters that deserve some recognition and Louis CK created a Woody Allen style short film every week.
Agreed! Modern Family has gotten progressively worse and I think the award shows are partly to blame for rewarding their mediocrity. Parks and Recs deserves some recognition.

seahawk7

I've spent a LOT of time at DLR over the past 20 years. The place is crawling with kids, always. To say that the primary market isn't made of families with kids is ludicrous.

But - unlike WDW, DLR offers options geared toward adults as well. WDW used to do this. They don't anymore. As a result, DLR attracts adults with discretionary income as well who enjoy visiting the place. I used to be an adult who visited WDW and spent discretionary income - I don't anymore. They don't want me, and that's abundantly clear.

DLR is completely a rite of passage for a huge swath of the country that will never visit WDW. Just like WDW is a rite of passage for everyone in Ohio and New Jersey, DLR is a rite of passage for everyone in California and Arizona.

It's ignorance.
Don't forget New Mexico.

seahawk7

Come now, @Lee. If you are going to complain about someone not winning at least spell their name rite, Ok?

Gervais is quite talented, and I haven't seen his show. But neither have most people as it gets a tiny audience compared to those network sitcoms ... you know on ABC and CBS both of which won't exist in three years as you buy content a la carte from those folks who own the distribution channels on your iPhone76.3 (that's the one where Suri Jobs talks dirty to you for free!)

I never saw True Detective either. But I doubt it would have changed my mind. Cranston has been amazing on BB for its entire run.

The voters most definitely haven't watched all the shows. That's just not possible. That would like being a fanboi and visiting every theme park. What they do is watch the episodes that are submitted for the nomination. I have DVDs from many years (not this one) of review copies that get returned to the Academy. The decision is, ostensibly, based on the submission and not everyone is going to be the best. It's just a taste of the work. The voter may or may not be familiar with the shows.

I know from watching Breaking Bad that it never had a bad episode ... or a wasted episode in the narrative.
I think if you watched True Detective you might change your mind. I love BB. I 'm from Albuquerque and I have enjoyed watching BB and am also a longtime fan of Bryan Cranston. That being said, I was terribly disappointed that BB went home with the acting trophies it got and the best drama. I don't think Matthew McConaughey shouldn't be considered just because he is a film star. His performance was exceptional.

seahawk7

There are only two things about modern family to grab my attention and make it worth my while…

As for "the Big Bang theory"? It seems like they are more making fun of the culture that they are supposedly promoting… Jim Parsons does a phenomenal job of promoting and advancing A character with serious mental deficiencies. The sad thing is that everyone laughs at those.

And here's another interesting take… Amazing when we had white people dealing drugs, they all win Emmys. But you had black people dealing drugs and out much better television show called "the wire" and the Kanamee couldn't be bothered to pay attention to this predominantly African-American cast from Baltimore…
Well said.

alissafalco

Its in another thread. Marie has never been off base before and she's saying Off Kilter, Mo'Roccin and Fife & Drum.

Then there's another show that I've had two people flat out say will be chopped come end of September.

No, ***** didn't die of dysentery, instead it was with budget cuts and the stroke of a pen. Gutless and hidden in the shadows, behind a desk and never in daily contact with the guests.
If this is true, :mad::(:banghead:

merry68

I have no idea. Likely yes. They were not the act I heard mentioned. Same country tho.

I dont want to be the one to put it out there because I need to confirm it first. (Tho two anonymous sources does meet my own sourcing policy). I want someone on the record for this.

Four equity acts at Epcot. Thats a bloodbath.

Looks like the face of the WS is slowly changing.

Gee, I wonder what upcharge within an upcharge event is headed to WS?

Astro Blaster

I REALLY don't want to have this 'debate' ... but that just isn't true. DL and MK are both referred to as the MK. ... AND internally, at least, all castle parks are considered to be MKs.

But this is such an online circle (thing) that it isn't worth discussing ...
I didn't know this, which is why I was surprised - as a long time WDW visitor - on my first trip to DLR in about 20 years to hear the monorail operator say, "Welcome to the Magic Kingdom."

I kinda just sat there confused.

Nubs70

Oh jeez, I hope this gets thrown out soon. I still don't see what the problem is with the new system for these people. You still DONT have to wait in line. They tell you when to come back, and you are free to do whatever you want until that time. SMH
It clearly appears that the plaintiffs feel that by not being granted special advantage, they're being discriminated against.

ParentsOf4

For all those folks who think Disney is forever and BRANDS don't fade in relevance, please come back in five years and let's talk ... seriously, I don't think the day is far when BK has a few hundred units left worldwide and not thousands.

And we all know that Red Lobster is going to cease to exist in the near future.
The Disney brand has faded in and out of popularity throughout the decades. The same is true with WDW.

WDW's attendance and revenue has not been a straight line up. Throughout the decades, there have been several bumps along the way, most recently about 5 years ago due to some bad investment decisions made by Iger. (It would take a long post to explain.)

Hits like Frozen, successful additions such as Cars Land, etc. increase brand popularity.

Over saturation, bad management, neglect, taking the customer for granted, etc. knock brand popularity down.

People sometimes forget that bad decisions happen right as a brand appears to be peaking. That's what makes it a peak. Today's success is built on smart decisions made years ago while tomorrow's failure is a result of dumb decisions made today.

ParentsOf4

I think WDW is actively taking advantage of 'oddball' adults sans children who are nuts enough to stand in line for hours to take pics with college gals playing dress up. And I absolutely KNOW that by making that crap successful for Disney it disincentivizes the company from doing REAL attractions and entertainment.
Remember when WDW attracted adults who wanted to do adult things?

Nemo14

Remember when WDW attracted adults who wanted to do adult things?
I'll take that one step further. When DH and I first started going to WDW with our kids, we looked forward to the day when we could go without kids and enjoy more of the adult activiites too. The year that they offered free Epcot admission to teachers we did go for one day without kids, and frankly we had a blast, not just riding the rides without worrying about who had to sit with who, but we had a delicious leisurely dinner (which we booked on arrival, not 6 months before) and we took our time wandering through World Showcase, enjoying all the quality entertainment and shopping experiences there. It was a great evening and left us longing more for that day when we could do this more often. Our kids are married adults now, and we do travel together at times, just not to the remnants of what used to be our favorite place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom