Drones may be used in Disney Parks in the future.

Rob562

Tink flies in different directions and up and down at Disneyland. Someone here told me why she doesn't do so at Magic Kingdom, but I forgot.

Speaking of DL, it has had the rocket man and Mary Poppins "fly" over the castle. This isn't anything too new.

In Disneyland they have a multi-wire system that stretches from the Matterhorn over the Castle to another support system on the far side. Tink is attached to a shuttle that runs back and forth along the wires. (It's essentially the same system as the flying camera rig used during NFL games, just replace the camera with Tink) It's also a lot more visible during the day than the MK's cable.

In the MK, it's strictly just a giant zip-line. There aren't two structures higher than the Castle that you could stretch the cables between to make it work in Florida. The Castle spire also might not be able to support the system if they wanted to simply replace the current line with the DL rig.

-Rob

Bairstow

The concept of a "flixel" screen is interesting, but the swam of rotorbots needed to create such a thing would need to number in the thousands.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
made more sense after i read the article; first impression was "man, are universal employees really trying to sneak in?" ;)
but anyway this is extremely intriguing
image.jpg

morningstar

I like that one of the inventors is named Stark. Maybe they can have him open the park when they rename Epcot Stark Expo. And maybe since there are people at Imagineering who can invent new uses for technology, they can imagineer up some new attractions to make it worthy of the name Stark Expo or Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I don't really see that as a problem. They can keep the drones over water or other areas off-limits to guests, including cordoning off some walkways during the show.
Until one has a control malfunction, swerves off course, crashes into a main street light pole causing a small explosion and sends guests screaming and running in all directions, then queue the multi-million dollar lawsuits.

Ya, thats somewhat extreme but even one crashing on the lawn somewhere may send pieces of it flying and strike a guest. Or whoever controls the drones could make a mistake that could end badly. These are things that are on the very low end of actually happening, but it would only take one incident for it to be all over the news. For the record, I like the idea and Im sure Dis will layers upon layers of backup and contingency plans for this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom