Tipping in Hotels

fugawe09

Off topic, but for those talking about restaurants, Disney's union contract has no requirement or procedure for a server to share their tips with anyone. Bussers, runners and the like are considered "non-tipped." That said, there is an unofficial system where servers who don't take care of their support team don't get much help bussing or running. Tightwad servers sweat a lot harder and the managers don't feel bad for them.

JohnD

People I tip:
Restaurant servers
People who do hair/nails/etc.
Cruise staff
Valet parking
Bellmen

I do it because it's expected in those industries to leave a gratuity, so not leaving a gratuity is like saying "you suck at your job and I hate you".

I don't tip people in other professions where it's not expected (like housekeeping) just because I feel bad for the amount of wages that I presume the person earns. If I had that mindset, I'd have to tip the person behind the counter at McDonalds and the cashier at Walmart, just because I feel sorry for them. I find that somewhat demeaning and arrogant. It's none of my business what someone else makes and I'm not going to treat a person like a charity case because of my preconceived notions about their income.

I think the best way to pay back someone for good service when they are in a non-tipped position is to fill out a comment card, write a letter, or recognize them in some other way that gets them noticed by their supervisors.

Who said tipping for housekeeping is not expected? I don't get the notion that it's expected we tip people who serve us food but it's not expected we tip people who serve us by cleaning up our own mess every morning.

HatboxGhost

Wow. Hmm seems like that is all the more reason to tip. Maybe you should ponder that. I tip as a way to say, "Thank you, Mousekeeping, to contributing to a magical trip. I appreciate your keeping my room clean while I'm out of the room enjoying WDW."
Also, they leave those kick as% towel animals that they actually let us take home.

The Mom

Premium Member
Please clarify.
Why should we "not go there" in reference to the towel animals?
Also, how is what I said not civil? Just wondering.

Sorry, I was not addressing the "let's keep things civil" remark at you specifically (or even at all) Just reminding all of the posters.

In reference to the towel animals - there have been heated arguments over whether or not the animals are just for presentation, ie, you are supposed to unwrap them and use the towels, etc or whether they are a gift, and you are expected to keep them as a souvenir.

No one has been able to get a definitive answer, and many threads got nasty. So that's why I would prefer that the topic not be raised.

Lucky

Who said tipping for housekeeping is not expected? I don't get the notion that it's expected we tip people who serve us food but it's not expected we tip people who serve us by cleaning up our own mess every morning.
You can tip anyone you want. But tipping is "expected" for employees like food servers who are classified as tipped employees under US labor law, and are subject to a minimum wage less than one third of the minimum that applies to non-tipped employees.

GrammieBee

If you stay in a time share that hires a cleaning service to clean all the units on a particuler day, you are not expected to tip. If you have individual housekeeping people,a tip would be in order.

On a trip we tip waiters or waitresses,head waiters, bartenders, porters,bellmen, parking valets,tour guides,taxi drivers,cabin attendents, etc If we tip all these people, why wouldn't we tip the person who makes our bed and cleans our bathroom. They are doing a service for us, as are the others.

HatboxGhost

Sorry, I was not addressing the "let's keep things civil" remark at you specifically (or even at all) Just reminding all of the posters.

In reference to the towel animals - there have been heated arguments over whether or not the animals are just for presentation, ie, you are supposed to unwrap them and use the towels, etc or whether they are a gift, and you are expected to keep them as a souvenir.

No one has been able to get a definitive answer, and many threads got nasty. So that's why I would prefer that the topic not be raised.
Thank you for answering my questions....I really do appreciate it.
Maybe I can clear things up regarding the towel animals. Two years ago when my wife and I stayed at Pop Century, we ended up getting one a day every day and mid week I had called the front desk and asked to speak to a manager because we wanted to thank them and, of course, mousekeeping for that extra nice touch. The manager said, without us asking, that they are ours to keep. We were thrilled. That doesn't mean that when we stay at CBR this year that the same thing will happen so it may be different from place to place.

squidward

I leave $20 at the end of our stay for housekeeping. It's not a lot, but I think if we tipped everyone looking for tips $10-$20 we wouldn't be able to stay as long. It's nuts. 20% for limo drivers, $10 for baggage handlers at the airport, $20 for bellhops just for taking our bags inside, $20 for the bellhops who bring our luggage upstairs, 20% for taxi drivers, tips for ME drivers, then you gotta do all that again in reverse.

celticdog

We usually tip $2 per person per night and leave a tip on each day. We start with first day, that way we get those extra perks (towel animals, extra soaps, shampoos, candies, etc.). Housekeeping staff may change during the trip and therefore we feel its best to reward the staff each day. Wait staff tips are more varied and I usually start at 10% and then go up from there.

BuddyThomas

We usually tip $2 per person per night and leave a tip on each day. We start with first day, that way we get those extra perks (towel animals, extra soaps, shampoos, candies, etc.). Housekeeping staff may change during the trip and therefore we feel its best to reward the staff each day. Wait staff tips are more varied and I usually start at 10% and then go up from there.
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but 10% to waitstaff is not really acceptable unless the waiter pulled hair out of his head and put it in your food, slapped your face, and kicked a nun in the stomach while you watched.

The minimum standard tip these days starts at 15% and in major cities, it is actually 18%. That is not my personal opinion. It is well documented and you
will find those guidelines anytime you google tipping in restaurants, etc.

By the way, this is coming from someone whose parents tipped one dollar (that's right, an entire buck!) at every single restaurant we ever went to
when I was growing up, no matter if the check was ten dollars or a hundred. And they dragged me to the same restaurants all the time.

Now that I know what I know, I wonder how much waiter spit I ingested as a child. Probably a few pounds, at least.

eeyoremum

Thank you for answering my questions....I really do appreciate it.
Maybe I can clear things up regarding the towel animals. Two years ago when my wife and I stayed at Pop Century, we ended up getting one a day every day and mid week I had called the front desk and asked to speak to a manager because we wanted to thank them and, of course, mousekeeping for that extra nice touch. The manager said, without us asking, that they are ours to keep. We were thrilled. That doesn't mean that when we stay at CBR this year that the same thing will happen so it may be different from place to place.

I can confirm that at POP at least towel animals can be kept. Mouse keeping left a note on our last day telling us we could take our animals home.

Daxiegirl

Now that I know what I know, I wonder how much waiter spit I ingested as a child. Probably a few pounds, at least.

Oh dear, @BuddyThomas I suppose it's not funny but....:joyfull:

Having never been to Disney, I'm wondering how you add more to the automatic 18% for a party of 6 if you are on the DDP. Is there a place to add it in on the slip they give you when you sign?

BuddyThomas

Really?! It's the "standard" you mean if I don't tip 18% I'm going to be banished from the restaurant? I had no idea. Listen, tipping is a bogus system designed by the owners that are too cheap to pay their employees a wage that you deem "fair". My tip shouldn't sky rocket because I chose to order a Hendrics Martini and have the Filet instead of having a soda and the burger.
Luckily for you, there is a very simple solution to your outrage at the system:

Stay home.

But since I assume that solution is unacceptable to you, all I can say is I feel sorry for your waiters.

But don't worry. It's only a matter of time until you run into a server like Octavia Spencer's character in The Help, and she'll be sure to offer you a well deserved piece of pie, on the house, so make sure you save room for dessert.

;)

draybook

We don't tip mousekeeping because A) we don't have them clean behind us and B) they make above minimum wage. I understand that they aren't getting rich off of their wages but honestly, most of us aren't. But those of you who do tip them, kudos to you!

psukardi

Luckily for you, there is a very simple solution to your outrage at the system:

Stay home.

But since I assume that solution is unacceptable to you, all I can say is I feel sorry for your waiters.

But don't worry. It's only a matter of time until you run into a server like Octavia Spencer's character in The Help, and she'll be sure to offer you a well deserved piece of pie, on the house, so make sure you save room for dessert.

;)

Don't feel sorry for them. When I get my bill I multiply pre-tax by 2 and shift the decimal and round down to the nearest dollar. That's generally an 18% tip. I do it, I just don't like it

psukardi

Well, that's different then. Thanks for the clarification.

Ya, it's one of those things where I do it but I don't like it. I've said before - I wish the establishments would just raise the rates across the board & then say no tipping. I know some will make the argument that without tipping the quality might decline; however, I feel it might go the other way. When you don't have the stress of worrying about a table stiffing you - you can give quality service to each customer.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Using that logic - who don't you tip? Do you tip the guy mopping the floors at your office? The guy stocking the shelves at the grocery store? They are all serving you.

My personal opinion why housekeeping tipping as a norm is fundamentally flawed
1) You are not tipping after the service is rendered
2) You are not tipping the person who actually did the work
3) It's a position paid with the expectation its a non-tipped job

You are leaving money for whomever happens to clean that room that day.. before they do it. Sure it may make you feel better.. but it flies counter to all notions of performance based pay.

Listen, tipping is a bogus system designed by the owners that are too cheap to pay their employees a wage that you deem "fair".

No, it's a performance based pay system. In a service industry the idea is you get paid based on how well you perform. If you suck, you get paid less, if you do well, you get paid better.

Paying your salesman on commission is not a "bogus system designed by the owners that are too cheap to pay their employees a wage" - It is a system designed to reward and penalize based on performance. So is tipping.

I agree with you that paying 3x the tip because the menu is 3x the cost is stupid... but that's an artifact of the guidance model. When I order a drink at the bar... I still tip based on how many and the complexity of the drink.. not the price of the drink.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom