Tipping in Hotels

PhilharMagician

I choose to have a guy bring my car around. I choose to have someone get my luggage. They are providing a service that you don't have to pay for - therefore I go and tip them appropriately. The person that cleans my room - their payment should be baked into the cost of the room. IF it's not, they can go get a job somewhere else.

Well when you put it that way then @ a deluxe resort that has valet and Bell services I would expect that cost to be rolled up in the cost of the room also. Specially at the prices Disney gets for them. Why should they be tipped any different?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I choose to have a guy bring my car around. I choose to have someone get my luggage. They are providing a service that you don't have to pay for - therefore I go and tip them appropriately

You did pay for... it's part of the services of the hotel you paid for. Just like you didn't pay for the water coming from the faucet.. or that towel on the rack.. but they were paid for as part of your room rate.

BigRedDad

Trust me on this, or rather my mother, as she spent a great deal of time speaking with Mousekeeping the last trip- with some of the guests they have to deal with, they deserve each and every tip they get.

So I should have to tip them based on the behavior of other guests? That's ridiculous. Everyone does not require a tip. In my 20 years of full tim employment, I have NEVER received a tip from a customer. If I am required to tip, identify what part of my room charge is paid to Mousekeeping, then allow me the option of deleting that charge from my room. Then, Mousekeeping can come to the room after I check out.

As a country, we are so screwed up on the tipping front. Tipping is for those that are deliberately paid less than minimum wage to insure great service. Great service is already part of all of the fees I pay through WDW. That is why tickets are $350 for a week, rooms are over $100, meals are at a minimum $8. I will drop $3500-$4000 for a 7 day trip for 3 of us. That's $175-$190 per day per person. That is enough of my money flowing out of my pocket.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just read an article that suggests tipping the clerk at the front desk to get a better room. That is a new one.

It's not a tip.. it's a bribe. Same thing you see at night clubs, resturants, etc. Nothing new there.. and far harder to predict unless you want to start throwing Benjamins around.. maybe an extra 20 or two might do it.

Mouse_Trap

Original Poster
I just read an article that suggests tipping the clerk at the front desk to get a better room. That is a new one.

Agree that's a bribe. The tip would come when they've finished serving you, and thus you already have your room allocated, unless you go up the the desk with the bills already in hand....madness.

I'm glad from reading this that I'm not the only person who thinks tipping is getting way out of control.

FutureCEO

I agree tipping/bribing culture is insane. How do they do it it Europe? Anyone know or do employers treat employees better?

Say for waiters/waitresses...you have no clue who is making minimum or a salary based on tips.

If you tip everyone from the airport to your hotel.....that's a s*** load of money. It's like the Disney Magical Express. I understand some people have bags under the bus. But I don't think you should tip them for retrieving those bags. I know I'm in the minority but you shouldn't tip for every single thing.

ie: people at the airport offer you to haul your bags in those carts if you can't carry them yourself.

HollyAD

I like how DCL does it. They automatically charge a suggested amount and if you choose to do more you can. I am already stashing $1 bills for my trip next month. If not I will be worried about who in my travel party has cash. I know I will dish out at the airport,DME, and to whoever will deliver my moms medical supplies to the room... all on the first day.

heath.sneyd

OK, I'm gonna skip 4 pages (for now) and just lay out how I tip for a party of two.

No tips at motels, as they're rarely ever more than a night, same goes for a 1 or 2 night stay, as we are well kept, and actually prefer that no housekeeping is done. We reuse towels, make our own beds, and i'm the guy who uses the McDonalds bag we grabbed a snack in to keep extra trash in, and we barely have any to begin with. There are a few exceptions I'll get to in a few...

Whenever we stay longer, we'll leave $5 for each day we receive housekeeping. By the time we'd need it, they just might deserve it. On our trip to WDW in a few months, I plan to use housekeeping daily, because we'll be in vacation mode for 7 days, and wouldn't mind the daily quick freshen up to the rooms. I liken this type of stay to a cruise, although you may not have the same keeper on land. Said exception is for places like The Inn at Christmas Place (Google it, you'll love it!) [My GF is the "Christmas Queen" and absolutely loves all things Christmas], as they always have special touches and they genuinely care about their guests. I mentioned in a casual conversation at the desk one time that she loves the smell of a fresh cut Christmas tree, so they went and got air freshener JUST FOR US for our room, and they've done it for us ever since.

As far as restaurants go, I never, Never, NEVER tip based on the check. I tip on service, and the usual for me is $2-3 per person. One time, at a rather nicer restaurant, we saw our server three times: Menus and drinks, meal order, and the check. We got waters and a cocktail each, and not one offer of a refill or 2nd drink, and a sour attitude to boot. I left nothing. I would have left a buck if I had seen a smile. On the other hand, there was a time when our glasses never hit half empty, the server greeted us and was super polite, and checked back with us continually. I left him $20 on a $30 dinner for two.

BuddyThomas

As far as restaurants go, I never, Never, NEVER tip based on the check. I tip on service, and the usual for me is $2-3 per person.
Oh, this thread is back? Hurray.

So let me make sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying that if you are a party of 4 and you rack up a $100 check between the 4 of you, you are only going to tip $8 to $12 dollars? Just trying to make sure I'm understanding what you're throwing down.

Matt_Black

The per person thing makes sense, but it should be in addition to a percentage of the bill. I'd say $2-3 per person PLUS 10-15% of the amount of the check.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

So let me make sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying that if you are a party of 4 and you rack up a $100 check between the 4 of you, you are only going to tip $8 to $12 dollars? Just trying to make sure I'm understanding what you're throwing down.
I think his idea of a restaurant and your idea of a restaurant are not the same thing.

heath.sneyd

Yeah, I got bored looking up AS Music threads... We could all use some excitement, right?
If there's 4 of us racking up a $100 pre-tax bill, we're drinking. Me and mine are the ones who look for the $10 dinners. That's why $8-12 isn't that bad on a $55 check. Plus service matters too, like I said later on in my post. If we drink up a $100 bill, there would be a bigger tip for the drinks. Don't get me wrong, that rack of ribs for $20 is good, but I don't eat that expensive every time I go out.

BuddyThomas

I think his idea of a restaurant and your idea of a restaurant are not the same thing.
Yeah, I got bored looking up AS Music threads... We could all use some excitement, right?

If there's 4 of us racking up a $100 pre-tax bill, we're drinking. Me and mine are the ones who look for the $10 dinners. That's why $8-12 isn't that bad on a $55 check. Plus service matters too, like I said later on in my post. If we drink up a $100 bill, there would be a bigger tip for the drinks. Don't get me wrong, that rack of ribs for $20 is good, but I don't eat that expensive every time I go out.
Okay , I guess I get what you're saying, sort of. And if you're drinking up a $100 bill, you're my kind of people.
;)

heath.sneyd

OK, sorry to double post, but I just thought about this, speaking of tipping and DAtW@E... Do you tip those whose only job is to sling those drinks from a cart all day? Back at USO, those $9 Budweisers drained me, and there wasn't a tip jar or anything, two of them actually refused a tip. So as far as when I pretty much have to stand in line for a drink, cause that's all they have, how do you all tip? Last time I had to stand in line for a drink, I was pouring my own from a keg.

Daddymouse

Some hotel chains place envelopes in the rooms for tips and comments. I choose to tip on the average about $5/day for both my wife and I. We also, like other posters, reuse the towels and even make our own bed. My reason for tipping is more personal. My wife and I both worked in service industry while I was in college. Tips that we received made a huge difference while keeping up with bills. I see it as more of paying forward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom