Into The Woods

bubbles1812

Original Poster
It appears Disney may be making Into the Woods with Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp participating:

http://m.deadline.com/2013/04/johnn...eals-almost-wrapped-for-into-the-woods-movie/

Will be interesting if they make the full version or the watered down high school version. The show is deceptive. It looks like a fun fractured fairy tale but that second act includes murder, violence, adultery...and not the happiest of endings either. Very adult themes. I could see parents getting angry if they are tricked into taking their children to see what honestly turns into a very adult musical. Thus, I disappointedly expect Disney to go withthe watered down version. It's still fun, but not as bold or creative a choice.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It appears Disney may be making Into the Woods with Meryl Streep and Johnny Depp participating:

http://m.deadline.com/2013/04/johnn...eals-almost-wrapped-for-into-the-woods-movie/

Will be interesting if they make the full version or the watered down high school version. The show is deceptive. It looks like a fun fractured fairy tale but that second act includes murder, violence, adultery...and not the happiest of endings either. Very adult themes. I could see parents getting angry if they are tricked into taking their children to see what honestly turns into a very adult musical. Thus, I disappointedly expect Disney to go withthe watered down version. It's still fun, but not as bold or creative a choice.
I don't see how they could tame down the second act. If you tame it down then you remove the whole reason for the play.

bubbles1812

Original Poster
I don't see how they could tame down the second act. If you tame it down then you remove the whole reason for the play.
Totally agree. But there is a watered down version that many high schools (including mine) do. It basically includes the first act and a little bit of the second. It's partially because the actual musical is extraordinarily long and partially because of content. I hope Disney doesn't but wouldn't be surprised if they do. The musical is at least a PG-13 if they do it right. It is not for small children, though I'd guess many could think it is since it involves fairy tales.

Chrononymous

ooooh very interesting news! This is my favorite Sondheim musical ever!

And I agree...After the first act it grows extremely dark indeed.

I wonder how they will pull this off.

RonAnnArbor

It won't be the watered down version high schools do (usually, high schools do the full version, not the jr. version)...There is a lot of talk about this in the Broadway show forums out there. Check out All That Chat for almost DAILY threads on this....

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Latest Casting News from Entertainment Weekly

Emily Blunt (Looper) is reportedly in talks to join the ever-growing ensemble cast of Disney's Into the Woods to play the role of the Baker's (James Corden) wife.

The main cast also currently includes Meryl Streep (The Witch) and Johnny Depp (The Wolf).

Chris Pine and Jake Gyllenhaal are both in talks for two prince roles.

My thoughts-

Can Emily Blunt be funny? Johnny as the wolf I can totally see. Chris and Jake are both very good looking but can they sing? I wish we could have Bernadette Peters!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Glen Close as the witch -
into-the-woods.jpg

awoogala

I am so unsure. They cast a child as Red. Right there, it's going to be either creepy and pedophile like, or watered down. Also, There are fantastic broadway actors who would have done a much better job vocally. I wish they would have cast singers instead of "names"

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I am so unsure. They cast a child as Red. Right there, it's going to be either creepy and pedophile like, or watered down. Also, There are fantastic broadway actors who would have done a much better job vocally. I wish they would have cast singers instead of "names"

Not sure if you heard but they recast Red the actress is slightly older 12 and was Annie in the most resent revival. You can see her picture and a video of her singing here..

Sophia grace has been cast as red riding hood in Disney's Into the woods.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Production Stills have been released -

Meryl Streep as the Witch and James Corden as the Baker
into-the-woods-01.jpg

James Corden as the Baker and Lilla Crawford as Red Riding Hood
into-the-woods-04.jpg

James Corden as the Baker and Emily Blunt as the Baker’s Wife
into-the-woods-05.jpg

Chris Pine as Cinderella’s Prince
into-the-woods-08.jpg

Anna Kendrick as Cinderella
into-the-woods-06.jpg

Johnny Depp as the Wolf
into-the-woods-02.jpg

Daniel Huttlestone as Jack and Tracey Ullman as Jack’s Mother
into-the-woods-09.jpg

Lucy Punch as Lucinda, Christine Baranski as Cinderella’s Stepmother, and Tammy Blanchard as Florinda
into-the-woods-07.jpg

Billy Magnussen as Rapunzel’s Prince
into-the-woods-03.jpg

Mackenzie Mauzy as Rapunzel
into-the-woods-10.jpg

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
And now I have found quotes sorry for all the separate posts -

As Little Red Riding Hood, Lilla Crawford takes on Johnny Depp's Big Bad Wolf. "Everybody worked really well together," says director Rob Marshall. Of course it helps when Meryl Streep and Johnny have already memorized their lines at the first rehearsal. It set the tone."

"Johnny loved the idea of playing the Big Bad Wolf," says Marshall. "He had such fun with it. He becomes the Wolf. His song is THE SONG."

"On the first day there was that awful stomach-turning moment when Rob [Marshall] said, 'OK, we’re all going to sing,'" says Emily Blunt, who plays the Baker's Wife opposite onscreen husband James Corden. We all screamed because up until that point we had all been singing in our own private little caves. And now we had to sing in front of each other. Even Meryl was screaming."

"Anna Kendrick brings a modern sensibility to Cinderella," says Marshall of the actress's portrayal of the fairy-tale princess. "Because she has theater chops, it was fantastic to be able to have her on this. She really is an amazing singer. I was so thrilled to see the vulnerability and the humor she brought to the role."

As Cinderella's stepmother and stepsisters, Lucy Punch, Christine Baranski, and Tammy Blanchard provide comedic foils for Kendrick's Cinderella. Tony-winner Baranski really shines as the Stepmother, says Marshall. "She made it her own in such a unique and artistic way. She's sort of gold."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom