How does one start a competition thread?

Sam Magic

Getting back to an earlier post momentarily...

However, I'm not sure how it can fit within the theme of a patriotic wartime atmosphere. Some of the songs, at least those from the "Maestro Mickey" section, are all classical pieces. I'm not sure how it can fit within the theme of a patriotic wartime atmosphere. I don't think classical pieces really fit the patriotic wartime atmosphere I'm going for here. I don't think they had huge classical orchestras in World War II. They had big band, yes, but I don't think they had classical symphony orchestra.

I could have the classical and big bands mixed together in one music loop, but I don't think they've ever had different styles of music in one loop before at a Disney park. A single loop, I think, would always try and keep it at one particular style.

So what does anyone think can be done?
Well, way to change topic.

Let's get back to how your version of a contest would stifle creativity and create a stale environment. I get that you want to see specific ideas which is why I would suggest to do a smaller contest like @MonorailRed from last year. That one focused on smaller projects and did not have teams. It was simple to follow, I imagine to host, and very simple to participate in. You can also have a few more restrictions then in a larger one and it's loads of fun.

mharrington

Original Poster

Let's get back to how your version of a contest would stifle creativity and create a stale environment. I get that you want to see specific ideas which is why I would suggest to do a smaller contest like @MonorailRed from last year. That one focused on smaller projects and did not have teams. It was simple to follow, I imagine to host, and very simple to participate in. You can also have a few more restrictions then in a larger one and it's loads of fun.

Well, why didn't you bother to tell me about that sooner?

Zweiland

But I could get easily get lost in that thread. It's so huge, up to 70+ pages now! It is officially and literally THE longest thread EVER on this section of the forum. I'm surprised I'm one of the few here who know that.
Listen, 70 pages is not long. I've easily kept up with thraeds that moved much faster than that.

And if you joined a competition like that, you wouldn't have to keep up with it. That's the reason JDM separated the discussion thread from the main one; so you wouldn't have to search through pages of gifs for one or two informational posts. Anything you absolutely need to know for the contest will be in the main thread, which as you can see, is much shorter.

mharrington

Original Poster

My apologies for bumping an old thread, but I meant to ask you: what was the smaller contest that MonorailRed did? Was it this: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/around-the-resorts-in-30-days-acs-contest.875433/?

I also have to make a confession in terms of stifled creativity and stale/sterile environments. I am not the most creative person in the world, as I said before. My main reason for others being stifled is because I stifled myself. I always take logistics into account before I do anything at all, whether it's physical space or theme continuities or contradictions. I do have lots of specific ideas, but I fear no one will help me, and that I'm forced to do these all by myself. I have created many threads for many ideas I had, but no one would respond to them, so they went nowhere.

RMichael21

My apologies for bumping an old thread, but I meant to ask you: what was the smaller contest that MonorailRed did? Was it this: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/around-the-resorts-in-30-days-acs-contest.875433/?

I also have to make a confession in terms of stifled creativity and stale/sterile environments. I am not the most creative person in the world, as I said before. My main reason for others being stifled is because I stifled myself. I always take logistics into account before I do anything at all, whether it's physical space or theme continuities or contradictions. I do have lots of specific ideas, but I fear no one will help me, and that I'm forced to do these all by myself. I have created many threads for many ideas I had, but no one would respond to them, so they went nowhere.
@MonorailRed had a competition that was part of the old ACS League that is no longer a thing. It was like a smaller version of the ICS, but it never really worked out. :)

mharrington

Original Poster
This might help you

Remember Imagineering isn't about limits, or will it work in that space its about creating the best thing possible.

So what you're saying is Imagineering completely ignores logistics?

One thing is, I have autism (Aspergers Syndrome, to be exact). Maybe some of the people at Imagineering have autism, too (though I doubt it), but I get very agitated when I have to work alone on personal projects of mine (for example: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ctual-but-tentative-name.886909/#post-6235452). That was one reason why I created this thread, to see about what to do to create a contest to my liking, so I could get others to help me out. I also have a tendency to repeat things over and over again, and I think very literally, which I doubt Imagineering does. It creates a lot of frustration, but I'm finicky like that.

I ask people to help me with these concepts and no one ever does. I always have to do these concepts all alone with little or no help whatever. I've done lots of threads like these and no one ever helps me.

Voxel

President of Progress City
So what you're saying is Imagineering completely ignores logistics?

One thing is, I have autism (Aspergers Syndrome, to be exact). Maybe some of the people at Imagineering have autism, too (though I doubt it), but I get very agitated when I have to work alone on personal projects of mine (for example: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ctual-but-tentative-name.886909/#post-6235452). That was one reason why I created this thread, to see about what to do to create a contest to my liking, so I could get others to help me out. I also have a tendency to repeat things over and over again, and I think very literally, which I doubt Imagineering does. It creates a lot of frustration, but I'm finicky like that.

I ask people to help me with these concepts and no one ever does. I always have to do these concepts all alone with little or no help whatever. I've done lots of threads like these and no one ever helps me.
I am not suggesting forget logistics, many of us focus on that once ideas have started flowing. I apologize that the forum doesn't do a great job helping each-other on the threads, but as due to a lot of factors, many times after a competition people avoid the imagineer thread being burned out. During competition we are usually running around like headless chicken trying to get things done. It's not that people don't want to help, its more a a lack of time to help.

mharrington

Original Poster
I apologize that the forum doesn't do a great job helping each-other on the threads, but as due to a lot of factors, many times after a competition people avoid the imagineer thread being burned out. During competition we are usually running around like headless chicken trying to get things done. It's not that people don't want to help, its more a a lack of time to help.

So what do you recommend I do about some of my projects, like this one: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...dhs-with-an-actual-but-tentative-name.886909/? That one just has many posts back-to-back by me. I even outright said in my last post there (on August 25th, I might add) that it was VERY difficult for me to do one of those attractions by myself.

Voxel

So what do you recommend I do about some of my projects, like this one: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...dhs-with-an-actual-but-tentative-name.886909/? That one just has many posts back-to-back by me. I even outright said in my last post there (on August 25th, I might add) that it was VERY difficult for me to do one of those attractions by myself.
To be honest, Tag a few people who regular this threads and ask for help, not just general I could use help.

mharrington

Original Poster
To be honest, Tag a few people who regular this threads and ask for help, not just general I could use help.

Well, I do occasionally send private messages to some of those people to ask for help, but that doesn't seem to do much good either.

Voxel

Well, I do occasionally send private messages to some of those people to ask for help, but that doesn't seem to do much good either.
I can't speak for others, but I apologize if I have ignored. I am a headless chicken working a fulltime job and grade school and I forget to respond.

Sam Magic

Yes, that is Reds comp.

Following up on what Voxel said, focus on the ideas first then logistics. That is the whole point of Blue Sky. People will respond if you start out with a basic idea.
@MonorailRed had a competition that was part of the old ACS League that is no longer a thing. It was like a smaller version of the ICS, but it never really worked out. :)
Well it worked out for a while, but it fell a part when WEDCar fell a part.

mharrington

Original Poster
@Sam4D23, I feel as though I have to have my idea completely fleshed out and complete before I get any responses.

By the way, I used your name and the @ sign as a kind of test.

Sam Magic

@Sam4D23, I feel as though I have to have my idea completely fleshed out and complete before I get any responses.

By the way, I used your name and the @ sign as a kind of test.
It worked perfectly.
Then what's the point of responses in the first place? If your idea is "complete" as you say, you shouldn't need any more contribution.
Exactly, what is the point of asking for help on a project if you already have it completed. I'll be frank, most people will not get too excited about helping out if you don't really want their input. I have learned that from first hand experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom