How does one start a competition thread?

jdmdisney99

As of right now, you could just make one, though I advise against it with Apprentice Season 2 starting on July 5th. Over the summer, we'll also reveal new details about a possible designation process.

RMichael21

I agree with @jdmdisney99 . All you have to do is start one, but it might not be the best time. Most people wouldn't want to do 2 comps. Sometimes, even 1 is hard. I have a nice idea for a competition, but I'm going to wait for the right time to do it.

mharrington

Original Poster
Well, one reason why I'm (or at least, was) thinking of starting my own competition thread is because I have some ideas of what I'd like to do, but I really feel as though I can't do them alone. That, and every competition I've seen is, admittedly, outside my zone of comfort. That is one reason why I often repeat myself in my threads on what I do (i.e., a replacement of sorts for Toontown Fair, albeit not in the Magic Kingdom: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-at-dhs-open-brainstorming-part-three.868537/). I began to think that the only way to see results was if I started a competition thread, which would get people to come up with ideas that I may actually like.

I don't think they take suggestions for contest pieces, which is still another reason why I would have to create it myself.

Last edited:

jdmdisney99

Well, one reason why I'm (or at least, was) thinking of starting my own competition thread is because I have some ideas of what I'd like to do, but I really feel as though I can't do them alone. That, and every competition I've seen is, admittedly, outside my zone of comfort. That is one reason why I often repeat myself in my threads on what I do (i.e., a replacement of sorts for Toontown Fair, albeit not in the Magic Kingdom: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-at-dhs-open-brainstorming-part-three.868537/). I began to think that the only way to see results was if I started a competition thread, which would get people to come up with ideas that I may actually like.

I don't think they take suggestions for contest pieces, which is still another reason why I would have to create it myself.
You could have one after SA, if you want maximum participation. PM me the details of your idea if you want to talk.

mharrington

Original Poster
You could have one after SA, if you want maximum participation. PM me the details of your idea if you want to talk.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to afford the time for another competition thread when SA is over (which will likely be in the fall), because I'm going to be in school. But I guess I could PM you a link to the thread in question.

EDIT: I just sent you a PM on the subject with a very brief list on what's there right now.

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
In a main thread most definitely. But I see no harm in a discussion type thread.

I was talking about the discussion threads. I guess I just forgot to mention that right then. Look at the Sorcerer's Apprentice discussion thread. That has long since become THE longest thread ever on the Imagineering thread. A lot of it was taken up by just animated gifs and, occasionally, YouTube media. If I were doing a competition, I would discourage the usage of such excessively - or at all, for that matter.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Why do they use them so much anyway?
Because they are fun. The same reason they are used all over the web.

That being said, they do slog some tablets and phones, but so do images. It's actually a function of the unit you are using to connect and browse the forums. My computer has no issues with them at all, and will load a whole thread of them without worry.

jdmdisney99

The GIFs can be somed up by the following analogy IMO. It just depends on if your someone who likes to read books, or someone who likes to watch the movies. Sure, what's said in a GIF could also just be typed, but some people enjoy one more than the other. :shrug:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The GIFs can be somed up by the following analogy IMO. It just depends on if your someone who likes to read books, or someone who likes to watch the movies. Sure, what's said in a GIF could also just be typed, but some people enjoy one more than the other. :shrug:
Or they enjoy both.

tumblr_inline_mquvylO6Pv1qz4rgp.gif

Sometimes the gif is the message, sometimes the gif is the punchline, sometimes the gif adds to the punchline or the post.

It varies.

The gif "wars" are just for fun, as one needs to do a lot of image searching to find them (and, the ones posted, some of them are not easy to find) to express the message intended. Which, therefore, builds google skills.

And, as someone who makes quite a good living due to the fact that I'm very good at google...this is a good thing. :p

Sam Magic

Why do they use them so much anyway?
Because they are fun. They allow us to culturally interact and celebrate the unique culture our society thrives in. These pages have resulted in bonds, the outpouring of excitment, and friendly interactions.

As many have previously said, Gifs allow for humor and cultural references to be made. From punchlines to jokes even board nicknames have been born from them.

FYI I will forever be Mamma Tombridge

mharrington

Original Poster
And then there's the thing of discussion threads for each project. If I were doing a competition thread, I'd have them do different threads for different projects, just to keep them from getting too long.

RMichael21

And then there's the thing of discussion threads for each project. If I were doing a competition thread, I'd have them do different threads for different projects, just to keep them from getting too long.
Honestly, that would make it more confusing. People would have to search for the thread (competitor or not) and it may cause confusion. In fact, it would probably be more organized to have it in the same thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom