How does one start a competition thread?

Sam Magic

And then there's the thing of discussion threads for each project. If I were doing a competition thread, I'd have them do different threads for different projects, just to keep them from getting too long.
Like RMicheal said, it would be way too confusing. Better to have one discussion thread.

JokersWild

There are other contests on other sites that have a separate thread for each project, but I do agree that the single thread is much more streamlined.

Sam Magic

Well, one reason why I'm (or at least, was) thinking of starting my own competition thread is because I have some ideas of what I'd like to do, but I really feel as though I can't do them alone. That, and every competition I've seen is, admittedly, outside my zone of comfort. That is one reason why I often repeat myself in my threads on what I do (i.e., a replacement of sorts for Toontown Fair, albeit not in the Magic Kingdom: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-at-dhs-open-brainstorming-part-three.868537/). I began to think that the only way to see results was if I started a competition thread, which would get people to come up with ideas that I may actually like.

I don't think they take suggestions for contest pieces, which is still another reason why I would have to create it myself.
I'm not sure if this is the best idea. I think the people here are rather picky about what they create, we do not like too many creative restrictions. If you want us to do a Toontown redesign then say that and leave it, come back in a few days and you will have an amazing concept.

Too many restrictions or eliminations make the environment hostile and negative. As a result people will not want to participate. You have to be open to many different ideas and concepts; over regulating could keep you at the same place you are right now.

mharrington

Original Poster
There are other contests on other sites that have a separate thread for each project, but I do agree that the single thread is much more streamlined.

But a single thread might make it much longer, as that Sorcerer's Apprentice discussion thread has become: 50 pages and counting.

JokersWild

But a single thread might make it much longer, as that Sorcerer's Apprentice discussion thread has become: 50 pages and counting.
That may be true. I haven't had any problems following it, though. Honestly, I do think it's better than having a forum be bogged down by 5,000 threads all pertaining to the same game. It's probably better for those who don't play the games, allowing their open brainstorming threads to continue without being pushed because of the endless line of contest project, team, and discussion threads.

mharrington

Original Poster
I'm not sure if this is the best idea. I think the people here are rather picky about what they create, we do not like too many creative restrictions. If you want us to do a Toontown redesign then say that and leave it, come back in a few days and you will have an amazing concept.

That's just it. I am as picky as any of them. I ask people to help me with these concepts and no one ever does. I always have to do these concepts all alone with little or no help whatever. I've done lots of threads like these and no one ever helps me.

Too many restrictions or eliminations make the environment hostile and negative. As a result people will not want to participate. You have to be open to many different ideas and concepts; over regulating could keep you at the same place you are right now.

That's why I hardly ever partake in these games. I always try to realistic as possible.

Sam Magic

That's just it. I am as picky as any of them. I ask people to help me with these concepts and no one ever does. I always have to do these concepts all alone with little or no help whatever. I've done lots of threads like these and no one ever helps me.

That's why I hardly ever partake in these games. I always try to realistic as possible.
But real life is still not as restrictive as you want it to be. Sure there are restrictions, but the process is still very, very open. It is how we get unfinished expansions, rides, shops, etc. Concepts are made, built, or shelved.

Has it also ever occurred to you that most people here are not interested in designing toontown? Especially one that seems to already be designed by you? If you want more participation make it open and pick topics that a lot of people can enjoy.

Voxel

President of Progress City

You should see some of the conversations with me, @englanddg, @MonorailRed I have point blank changed a concepts organization because I was worried about Fire and Rescue incase of emergencies, We have our realistic aspects, some just more realistic then others.

A lot of us work on concepts alone, or we start PM's to work on other concepts with other members, very few of use work on a concept together on a forum thread outside of a competition or challenge.

mharrington

Original Poster
But real life is still not as restrictive as you want it to be. Sure there are restrictions, but the process is still very, very open. It is how we get unfinished expansions, rides, shops, etc. Concepts are made, built, or shelved.

Has it also ever occurred to you that most people here are not interested in designing toontown? Especially one that seems to already be designed by you? If you want more participation make it open and pick topics that a lot of people can enjoy.

When I mentioned real life, I usually meant in terms of physical space to actually build something. That is, logistics. I always like to try and find the space for it before I do anything. For instance, I really can't do a Fantasyland expansion beyond what is already there because what got built has pretty much closed off any viable access points to the large amount of space behind it. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to do anything back there without having to redo a lot of the infrastructure, which I really don't want to do. That's the thing with me, I'm literal-minded. Take a look at this thread here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-finder-or-a-maker.885712/. I'm more a finder than a maker, as that thread indicates.

As for Toontown, it's not just that I'm trying to do. There are plenty of other ideas I have (such as for improvements for the Magic Kingdom and Epcot: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/imagineering-a-brand-new-mk-and-epcot-for-you.864107/), but they don't seem to get much participation either. You said to pick topics a lot of people like, but I think the only topics people like are E-tickets, the usage of any Pixar property or a new Star Wars-themed land at the Studios.

Part of the problem is I have Aspergers Syndrome. As such, one of the symptoms is being very literal (as I just pointed out), and that describes me. I hope you understand. Another thing is I'm a Disneyland person at heart. They can't do a lot of huge things anymore because they're pretty much hemmed in on all sides by the outside world. I've been going to Disneyland pretty much all my life, certainly a lot more than I've been to WDW, which I haven't even done in over ten years!

Sam Magic

When I mentioned real life, I usually meant in terms of physical space to actually build something. That is, logistics. I always like to try and find the space for it before I do anything. For instance, I really can't do a Fantasyland expansion beyond what is already there because what got built has pretty much closed off any viable access points to the large amount of space behind it. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to do anything back there without having to redo a lot of the infrastructure, which I really don't want to do. That's the thing with me, I'm literal-minded. Take a look at this thread here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-finder-or-a-maker.885712/. I'm more a finder than a maker, as that thread indicates.

As for Toontown, it's not just that I'm trying to do. There are plenty of other ideas I have (such as for improvements for the Magic Kingdom and Epcot: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/imagineering-a-brand-new-mk-and-epcot-for-you.864107/), but they don't seem to get much participation either. You said to pick topics a lot of people like, but I think the only topics people like are E-tickets, the usage of any Pixar property or a new Star Wars-themed land at the Studios.

Part of the problem is I have Aspergers Syndrome. As such, one of the symptoms is being very literal (as I just pointed out), and that describes me. I hope you understand. Another thing is I'm a Disneyland person at heart. They can't do a lot of huge things anymore because they're pretty much hemmed in on all sides by the outside world. I've been going to Disneyland pretty much all my life, certainly a lot more than I've been to WDW, which I haven't even done in over ten years!
I certainly understand your situation. Voxel summed it up pretty well, we like to work by ourselves or with a limited group of people.

mharrington

Original Poster
I certainly understand your situation. Voxel summed it up pretty well, we like to work by ourselves or with a limited group of people.

Well, in the case of, say, a Toontown replacement, it's not something I can work on all alone, but I ended up having to do this largely alone because, as you pointed out, no one was interested except me. If this was for the Magic Kingdom, that's one thing. But this new section was for DHS, a very different park. As such, it was very difficult to reinvent the concept for a different park. I'm not the most inventive or imaginative person in the world.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well, in the case of, say, a Toontown replacement, it's not something I can work on all alone, but I ended up having to do this largely alone because, as you pointed out, no one was interested except me. If this was for the Magic Kingdom, that's one thing. But this new section was for DHS, a very different park. As such, it was very difficult to reinvent the concept for a different park. I'm not the most inventive or imaginative person in the world.
None of us are.

You should learn how to work on a team!

mharrington

Original Poster
None of us are.

You should learn how to work on a team!

Are you saying I should work only in team projects?

A lot of the team projects, as I've noticed, are all things that are unfamiliar to me before, especially as my appearance on this thread indicates: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/spring-training-anyone.882981/. As I mentioned time and time again, I have Asperger's Syndrome. As such, it is very difficult for me to be open minded. As for the comps, one reason why I don't join in is because they seem to be outside my zone of comfort (as I just said, I have Asperger's).

I'm not used to cranking things out at a moment's notice as I'm forced to on big project threads like these. I think also that these project things serve no purpose other than fame and glory. These threads about Imagineering should be about great Imagineers, not great competitors. I like to try and keep the old way of Imagineering alive, by doing projects until they are as perfect and as final as they can ever be.

Here's a message from LG16 about this when I posted a similar feeling about my own ideas being ignored and thinking I will only get attention by working in a team:

It's a shame that this board is so wrapped up with competitions and monorail threads because you always have solid ideas that are in desperate need of attention from the rest of us. You've been at this for a long time (2003? I didn't even know the interweb existed in 2003!) and you really do deserve more acclaim for the quality ideas you turn out on a regular basis. So kudos to you for maintaining the internal fire while those around you have descended into Competition Hell, after the glory of winning rather than the satisfaction of imagineering a wonderful attraction. We need more people like you around these parts. Like you and @Tip Top Club and @BryceM; folks who don't start a competition at the drop of a hat and are great imagineers, not great competitors. Now I think competition is all well and good, and frankly we should have a blow out competition every so often. But there is no need for one to be going on constantly. It seems like every time I come on these boards there's a new 'sign up' thread going. I'm sorry to rant and take space away from your ideas (they're wonderful, really) but sometimes things have to be shouted over and over before people take heed. I can remember a day on this board where people like you and @stitchcastle and @MaterA113 and @KingMickey created these grand resorts I as a youngster could only dream of. It was a great time to be on these forums. I just wish we had more of that now....

Even Sam4D23, in response to what I had posted, admitted I had good ideas and also admitted to being out of it for so long that they forgot what it means to be a real Imagineer.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Are you saying I should work only in team projects?

A lot of the team projects, as I've noticed, are all things that are unfamiliar to me before, especially as my appearance on this thread indicates: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/spring-training-anyone.882981/. As I mentioned time and time again, I have Asperger's Syndrome. As such, it is very difficult for me to be open minded. As for the comps, one reason why I don't join in is because they seem to be outside my zone of comfort (as I just said, I have Asperger's).

I'm not used to cranking things out at a moment's notice as I'm forced to on big project threads like these. I think also that these project things serve no purpose other than fame and glory. These threads about Imagineering should be about great Imagineers, not great competitors. I like to try and keep the old way of Imagineering alive, by doing projects until they are as perfect and as final as they can ever be.

Here's a message from LG16 about this when I posted a similar feeling about my own ideas being ignored and thinking I will only get attention by working in a team:

It's a shame that this board is so wrapped up with competitions and monorail threads because you always have solid ideas that are in desperate need of attention from the rest of us. You've been at this for a long time (2003? I didn't even know the interweb existed in 2003!) and you really do deserve more acclaim for the quality ideas you turn out on a regular basis. So kudos to you for maintaining the internal fire while those around you have descended into Competition Hell, after the glory of winning rather than the satisfaction of imagineering a wonderful attraction. We need more people like you around these parts. Like you and @Tip Top Club and @BryceM; folks who don't start a competition at the drop of a hat and are great imagineers, not great competitors. Now I think competition is all well and good, and frankly we should have a blow out competition every so often. But there is no need for one to be going on constantly. It seems like every time I come on these boards there's a new 'sign up' thread going. I'm sorry to rant and take space away from your ideas (they're wonderful, really) but sometimes things have to be shouted over and over before people take heed. I can remember a day on this board where people like you and @stitchcastle and @MaterA113 and @KingMickey created these grand resorts I as a youngster could only dream of. It was a great time to be on these forums. I just wish we had more of that now....

Even Sam4D23, in response to what I had posted, admitted I had good ideas and also admitted to being out of it for so long that they forgot what it means to be a real Imagineer.
Calm down. Nothing keeps you from posting your own ideas, or asking for help.

Nothing.

mharrington

Original Poster
Calm down. Nothing keeps you from posting your own ideas, or asking for help.

Nothing.

It does when no one actually helps me. Help gives me the need to do something about it, if it's good, if it needs improvement, etc.

In short, help supports me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom