Bump up old threads or start new ones - which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mharrington

Original Poster
Occasionally, I bumped up an old thread a few months old, not because I want to keep it on the first page, but because I have something to add to that. However, every time I do that, I get a lot of flack about it from wm49rs in particular. I really don't think it's right to just do new threads from scratch. Which is really better, to just bump up old threads or create brand-new ones from scratch?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Occasionally, I bumped up an old thread a few months old, not because I want to keep it on the first page, but because I have something to add to that. However, every time I do that, I get a lot of flack about it from wm49rs in particular. I really don't think it's right to just do new threads from scratch. Which is really better, to just bump up old threads or create brand-new ones from scratch?
Either is fine. If the previous thread is fairly recent, say within a few months, your best bet is to add to that existing thread. If the previous thread is years old, it may be better to start a fresh one.

Either way, it is not a problem. We are a discussion forum, with the aim of allowing discussion.

mharrington

Original Poster
Either is fine. If the previous thread is fairly recent, say within a few months, your best bet is to add to that existing thread. If the previous thread is years old, it may be better to start a fresh one.

Either way, it is not a problem. We are a discussion forum, with the aim of allowing discussion.

Unfortunately, I get a lot of criticism for it from wm49ers, who doesn't like it when I bump up old threads only about three to six months old. That poster DOES have a problem with it. I do this a lot, and every time I do, wm49ers criticizes me for it. I asked him to desist, but he replied he would do so if I stopped bumping up old threads. What's going on?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Unfortunately, I get a lot of criticism for it from wm49ers, who doesn't like it when I bump up old threads only about three to six months old. I do this a lot, and every time I do, wm49ers criticizes me for it. I asked him to desist, but he replied he would do so if I stopped bumping up old threads. What's going on?
If you don't care for the interaction from particular individuals, place them on ignore, then you won't see them respond.

mharrington

Original Poster
But why does it seem as though wm49ers has a problem with it and everyone else has no problem with it?

Californian Elitist

But why does it seem as though wm49ers has a problem with it and everyone else has no problem with it?

You shouldn't care what they think.

I believe that poster gets annoyed because you create threads, leave for months, then come back and respond to someone who commented on the thread. It's a little odd, but like I said before, you shouldn't care what other people think.

dadddio

My thinking is that it depends on the thread. An 'experience' thread like 'Who famous have you seen at WDW' probably should be bumped. Doing so actually saves people from having to post the same story over again. However, a thread asking for advice is probably best to not bump as situations change and what someone might have thought was awesome advice some time ago might not be good anymore.

Either way, wdwmagic's advice is the best as having these conversations is what the forum exists for.

mharrington

Original Poster
This seems to have turned from a general bumping question into an airing of a disagreement you have with another member.

Well, it really annoyed me that one member disliked my doing something semi-legal here. I had put said member on ignore but I just want to know why I got a lot of flack for it in the first place.

Californian Elitist

Well, it really annoyed me that one member disliked my doing something semi-legal here. I had put said member on ignore but I just want to know why I got a lot of flack for it in the first place.

Dude, why are you still bothered by it? That incident occurred days ago. Time to let it go and move on. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter.

mharrington

Original Poster
Dude, why are you still bothered by it? That incident occurred days ago. Time to let it go and move on. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter.

It matters to me because I'm not breaking any rules. I just want to know what it's about. It's very difficult for me to let go because I'm very sensitive about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom