Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

ParkPeeker

Petrified remains of Murphy
1715228813361.jpeg

SweetDuffy101

For people wondering about public preview of Fantasy Springs, according to there latest Q&A
in Japanese.

During the time period of private Previews no Regular guests will be allowed to enter the new area. It will be restricted to people who has the preview pass and everybody(except Funderful Disney members) are all going to Queue in the standby pass, Priority access lane will be off limits.

Only 5,000 invited guests are only allowed for 5 hours each day.

For reference Funderful Disney preview last day will be on June 02.

Meaning that will be the last private preview.
June 03-05 will be very interesting.

Especially June 05, where a special private party is set

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I said to relocate IaSW, not outright get rid of it.

If they ever moved it (which I don't think they would), EPCOT would be the better destination. But, if it was ever moved, it's almost guaranteed that it would be updated in the move to include IPs which I'm not a huge proponent of...

Disone

This expansion is roughly 26 acres and has 4 attractions. "A bug's land" opened in 2002 at roughly 4 acres and opened 5 new attractions.
Are you really going to compare the attractions at Bud's land which with the exception of heimlich's choo choo train were completely small-scale flat rides to these four attractions? Come on not in the same league.

No one was wowed with the five attractions that bugsland had when it opened. In fact it was heavily criticized for being nothing but glorified carnival rides and slow.... super slow bumper cars.

I guess we could bust out a toy story Land somewhere. Perhaps Paris or Hong Kong had four attractions in it but again all carnival rides super cheapos.

Last edited:

Rockishcoco

Wow the hotel is gorgeous! Only three minutes in but that's where I'm staying if I ever make it to Japan.
The hotel is so strange to me. From inside the park, it is absolutely stunning. From the monorail, it's not quite a looker. Get sightlines are a thing but if it looked like the park-facing side all around we'd have a real contender for best TDR hotel.

RandySavage

A small note that would greatly help this attraction is a longer build up to seeing Rapunzel's tower, particularly an "unveiling" scene. Much like how Flynn Rider discovers her tower, guests should pass through an gate of ivy and come out on the other side in her valley with the tower hidden up until that moment.

It's a big note and a no-brainer... I suppose land-restraints forced it, but seeing and listening to the opening scene (Tower) from the queue for a long time diminishes that aspect of the ride. Other parts met or exceeded (didn't think outdoor figures would be AAs) expectations for the C/D-ticket. As noted, the flash flood from the movie begs for a long Splash Mountain style E-ticket for this IP. Maybe Disneyland Mumbai...

The Pan ride works better than I expected as a screen-ride and helps justify why Hook's ship/Skull Rock out-front initially struck me as much weaker than Paris' version from 1991 (this one matches the animated version from the ride).

With Frozen, I can agree with some criticism that E-tickets should never be straight book reports. I don't think B&B next door is superlative, but if the local audience loves it, they will love this.

I shake my head everytime I see the hotel. I can't reconcile how fans of good theme park design are fawning over it (well the ones that are getting remunerated with Previews, I can), particularly the exterior. Even its "good/themed" portion - <20% of the hotel's total exterior area - is a garish, cheap-looking, plastic fever dream out of the pixiedust-addled brain of a Hasbro Barbie toy palace designer. Put it side by side with MiraCosta and DLP Hotel photos and try to defend this pile. To me, the decorative, west-park portion is a C- and the other parts are an F.

Overall and hotel aside, the new port looks good, if not as grand as I had imagined (e.g. walking up to & into the Arendelle castle takes something away from its scale; Tangled mountains feel smaller than I had expected). It continues some of my ongoing global criticisms of park design: this generation of WDI's fairytale castle queue interiors could use improvement (with the exception of MK's Mermaid queue), as they tend to look way too modern to me: bright recessed lighting, lack of Old World detail, modern decorative elements, artwork that looks like digital printouts, little aging, glossy paintjobs, etc.. Maybe this is by design as to not scare small children. They're carrying on all my modern theme park signage peeves: using digital wait-time screens, Photoshop pics of food in Old World environments.

Exterior rockwork and waterfeatures look good and extensive, as expected. I wish they could mimic wood as well as they do rockwork: Disney's faux-wood been looking pretty waxy at least since Shanghai DL - I'd say use real wood instead: it once bestowed the great older parks with a charm only the aging patina of natural materials can.

Without the hotel demerit, I'd grade FS an A for ambition, A- for execution.

Last edited:

mickEblu

The hotel is so strange to me. From inside the park, it is absolutely stunning. From the monorail, it's not quite a looker. Get sightlines are a thing but if it looked like the park-facing side all around we'd have a real contender for best TDR hotel.

I was specifically referring to the interior of the hotel. It's beautiful. I'd rather not see the hotel at all from inside the park but it doesn't look too bad in the video I saw.

mickEblu

Ok I get it now. This expansion is all about the hotel, grounds and the land. The rides are like the fountain drink that comes with the combo. Love all the trees, rock work and waterfalls. Wish the execution was better on the Frozen and Tangled rides (can't really form an opinion on Pan based on videos) but I'd take one of these as part of DL Forward with some modifications to the attractions. Can certainly do worse. Wouldn’t even necessarily have to be all the same IP. I just like the concept and the aesthetics.

Last edited:

TalkToEthan

And while we’re at with demography……

what’s with the decision to load up Tokyo Disney Resort lately with this campaign to attract the young??? Beauty and Beast, Toy Story Hotel, Fantasy Springs, Midway Mania

Japan’s population pyramid might well dramatically affect things in 8 to 15 years

tanc

I guess fantasy springs is going to make TDR worthy of a 5 day trip. previously most people recommended 3 or 4 days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom