Miscellaneous Tokyo Thoughts

IMDREW

Does anyone know if the new nighttime shows starting date (sep 20th) is open for everyone? I mean, if I got a ticket to the park, will i be able to experience it?

ryno1982

Does anyone know if the new nighttime shows starting date (sep 20th) is open for everyone? I mean, if I got a ticket to the park, will i be able to experience it?
If it's anything like Once Upon a Time they will likely have a lottery and maybe premier access if you want viewing up close, but you'll be able to easily see it for "free" anywhere else.

tanc

I've seen some discussion on certain places about TDR and Splash, but I can't for see them changing it anytime soon. With the huge tomorrowland revamp and whatever else is coming, I feel like that would be an awful a lot to have down. Rumor is Disney is not happy that Splash exists in Tokyo basically, and apparently is willing to pay now. Who knows, all I know is these next few years are going to be super interesting for TDR.

PiratesMansion

Splash will get a re-theme in a few years.
The pressure is getting into OLC from WDC.
Thats all im going to say and OLC cant say no on this one.
Huh.

I wonder if it comes down to the fact that OLC pays TWDC to use its IPs, and Disney can thus logically refuse to allow their IPs to be used in ways they don't care for or approve of (I know you can't say, just speculating), in ways that could extend to jeopardize the entire enterprise.

With my understanding of how the arrangement between OLC and Disney works, that may be the only card Disney has to play.

tanc

Grandma Sara's and whatever else splash has (I think a gift shop) would have to be rethemed too. It would be probably one of the most expensive redos in a long time. I wonder if tokyo may get a special retheme of like Zootopia or something.

Ghost93

Splash will get a re-theme in a few years.
The pressure is getting into OLC from WDC.
Thats all im going to say and OLC cant say no on this one.
While I think this will happen, they will probably take their sweet time doing it. It's probably not as much of a priority as the US retheme is as the Song of the South controversy isn't nearly as big in Tokyo (due to the film being public domain, due to the voiceover dubs removing the minstrel-like aspects of the Brer characters, due to less familiarity on the history of slavery in the U.S. and due to Japanese audiences being less impacted by the stereotypes and historical revisionism in the film).

tanc

GMQG2bNaYAAHRNl.jpg

Cost of the two season passport is quite unbelievable for the price

ThemeParkTraveller

Grandma Sara's and whatever else splash has (I think a gift shop) would have to be rethemed too. It would be probably one of the most expensive redos in a long time. I wonder if tokyo may get a special retheme of like Zootopia or something.

Zootopia would look very jarring next to Westernland with its modern cityscape. I wonder if Pocahontas is an option? It's not without its own issues, but it's much less controversial than Song of the South. It also has memorable songs, which Zootopia does not. Ideally, the new IP would be something rustic and nature-themed so the aesthetics of the land can remain mostly the same.

ThemeParkTraveller

I can see Lion King being a possibility too, as we know a land + flume ride based on the film is already planned for Paris. It's a popular IP, has iconic songs, and has talking animals.

Brer Oswald

It'd be amazing and perfectly suitable to me if duffy got an original ride using Splash. I'd much rather that over a TBA clone, it would sky rocket his popularity as well I think.
I can’t imagine Disney wants anything that will make TBA look inferior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom