Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Casper Gutman

Rise, Smugglers, Tron, Guardians and Ratatouille say hello.
I mean, three of those aren't open, and at least one won't be open this year. And they aren't open precisely so Disney doesn't need to build new rides - they can just drag out construction.

Rise and Smugglers are in a park that needed a makeover for 20 years, and are the budget-cut version of what should have gone into that park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, three of those aren't open, and at least one won't be open this year. And they aren't open precisely so Disney doesn't need to build new rides - they can just drag out construction.

Rise and Smugglers are in a park that needed a makeover for 20 years, and are the budget-cut version of what should have gone into that park.
They closed the back half of that park to do that…in case anyone has memory block like the judge of pixie does tonight

JusticeDisney

All true. Of course COVID had a lot to do with delay. Anyway, the one and only point I was making is that Disney has in fact made some big additions lately.

lazyboy97o

While also being needlessly expensive. It would have been more than possible to more than double the attraction count at the non-Magic Kingdom parks while also adding a few things there for less than the cost of NextGen and Genie.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not even close. I responded to a post which claimed no new rides were being added by Disney In recent years. That’s simply untrue.
Their capacity is largely unchanged in 20 years…

what has attendance done in those years?

i’m “simply” gonna tell you what actually has happened.

lemme guess: you like “after hours” too??

I’m not even sure I hate this?…it really has to be deployed in the parks for any usefulness to be seen…
But the dust defense is just obtuse when they are charging for rides to this level out of the blue.

doctornick

Haven’t gotten through the whole thread (only half way now) so there’s probably stuff I’m missing but the base Genie+ seems like a classic Prisoners Dilemma - if no one bought it, there wouldn’t be much value in it as the second tier ride lines wouldn’t be that bad and would move (except busy times of the year) if a lot of folks weren’t in the FP + line. But once lots of people buy/use it, the value in it will go up as the standby times will be inflated by people in the FP+ line thus encouraging more to buy it (and make the standby situation worse) but ultimately putting those people not that much better off than if no one bought it.

Waters Back Side

There are 4 different systems but I think people will get overwhelmed and make it harder then it really is to understand. The details of Genie plus and the rides you can choose from might be a big confusing until you get to know it.

But the fact of the matter is every ride in WDW still has only 2 lines and 2 options for it. Not a single one has more then 2 lines or ways of going in the ride.

For most rides: You either stand in line and wait or get a LP with genie + subject to availability.

For the more desirable headliners...you either wait or pay to ride them. You dont even need genie plus.

For only 2 rides you get lucky and score a virtual queue spot or you wait.

Those are not hard to get used to.

JusticeDisney

They’re capacity is largely unchanged in 20 years…

what has attendance done in those years.

I’m not even sure I hate this?…it really has to be deployed in the parks for any usefulness to be seen…
But the dust defense is just obtuse when they are charging for rides to this level out of the blue.
You’re making points that have zero to do with what I posted. I didn’t say a word about capacity, which makes it quite weird that you are now trying to debate that with me. I simply responded to a post which claimed Disney was avoiding adding new attractions by pointing out that they have indeed added quite a few lately.

Casper Gutman

All true. Of course COVID had a lot to do with delay. Anyway, the one and only point I was making is that Disney has in fact made some big additions lately.
Covid is an excuse. Even with Covid, the construction time of Guardians, a single indoor coaster, and Universals new hotel, theme park, and dining and shopping complex are almost exactly the same.

The degree to which WDW is milking the pandemic - as an excuse for delayed rides and by ruthlessly exploiting pent-up demand from a desperate public through price gouging - is bordering on the offensively tasteless.

ImperfectPixie

They’re capacity is largely unchanged in 20 years…

what has attendance done in those years?

I'd also say the loss of non-ride attractions - World Showcase entertainment, Jack Sparrow, the Sorcerer game, etc. etc. equates to a lot less hourly "capacity" because there's significantly less people enjoying things that aren't rides. (And this isn't even taking into account the loss of capacity due to replacements having less hourly capacity than their predecessors.)

Missing20K

1.5 - 2 attractions per guest per hour as a baseline capacity goal is also industry standard but it hasn’t stopped Disney from spending years and billions to get it as low as possible. All of this complexity to try and make people the right amount of miserable instead of just trying to make them happy.
It’s weird that the company that created the industry now accepts settling for the lowest common denominator amongst its competitors within said industry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom