News Disneyland Resort To Be A Major OC Vaccination Site-OCR

truecoat

oceanbreeze77

They said 2020 would continue until they couldn't say that anymore. I think its a safe bet they will not happen.
The IOC and Japanese government dont want to risk losing investments this early, they played their cards close to their chest last year, and I assume they'll do it again this year.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They said 2020 would continue until they couldn't say that anymore. I think its a safe bet they will not happen.
The IOC and Japanese government dont want to risk losing investments this early, they played their cards close to their chest last year, and I assume they'll do it again this year.
I think the biggest factor will be where vaccinations are in each county, especially Japan, come late spring. Olympic Trials not already completed were rescheduled for June I believe. So if you see those get cancelled then you know its not happening.

Communicora

Premium Member
I think the biggest factor will be where vaccinations are in each county, especially Japan, come late spring. Olympic Trials not already completed were rescheduled for June I believe. So if you see those get cancelled then you know its not happening.
Yeah. One Olympic leader was advocating for athletes to jump the queue to be vaccinated. I hope that doesn't happen.

el_super

I wonder if they could just postpone the games in Tokyo until 2024? The benefit of hosting the Olympics for a county, is the boon in tourism. Even if they could find a way to stay socially distant at the venues and host the athletes "responsibly," they could still end up losing a ton of money (more than usual I guess) from not having international travelers inbound.

They could be better off waiting.

truecoat

I wonder if they could just postpone the games in Tokyo until 2024? The benefit of hosting the Olympics for a county, is the boon in tourism. Even if they could find a way to stay socially distant at the venues and host the athletes "responsibly," they could still end up losing a ton of money (more than usual I guess) from not having international travelers inbound.

The games have already been awarded for 2024 (Paris) and 2028 (LA). They'd have to wait for 2032 at the earliest.

TP2000

It's official, Soka University in Aliso Viejo will be the second Supersite for OC.

Shockingly, they are vaccinating people indoors at this location. But with the weather forecast for the next week showing cold, rainy weather every day, with a major winter storm blowing in next week, it's probably going to be a nice perk compared to the tents at Disneyland.

From the article...

Orange County staff and volunteers are gearing up for the opening of a mass vaccination center at Soka University in Aliso Viejo on Saturday.

It joins the first center the county opened last week at Disneyland that has been handling about 3,000 appointments a day.

“Bring your umbrellas, plan for rain, if you’re in a walker, you have to take those things into account,” county spokeswoman Molly Nichelson said. Staff and volunteers will be on hand to help visitors from the campus parking structure off Wood Canyon Drive to a gym nearby, where vaccines will take place.

The county has enough vaccines and staff on hand for a confident launch of the new Soka Super POD (point-of-distribution) this weekend, said spokeswoman Molly Nichelson. Officials have said they would not open new locations until volunteers and doses were available to make it worth it; five sites are ultimately expected.

Soka University (Go Lions!) is a compact little campus in the hills of OC, but it still could require some walking from various parking lots to the gym.

Soka_image02_After.jpg

oceanbreeze77

or combine the games with winter. At least the sports that can do it.

TP2000

Then its not a good site.

This is the gym complex taken from the air. There are parking lots next to it, and across the road as seen to the left.

Campus%20aerial%20view.jpg

But it will be very nice when California's big counties finally starts letting people just go to CVS or Albertson's for their Covid shots. Far more convenient that way!

TP2000

The games have already been awarded for 2024 (Paris) and 2028 (LA). They'd have to wait for 2032 at the earliest.

And the IOC had to do that double-award out to 2028 because too many cities and nations have refused to participate in the Olympics any longer. The Olympics, especially the Summer games, have become a giant wasteful money pit.

The remaining viable cities who still want the games come down to Tokyo and (hypocritically) Los Angeles and Paris.

Then you've got Beijing and a gaggle of third and fourth tier cities in corrupt Communist nations, or former Soviet satellites, who want the games for propaganda purposes and a chance to extend their nation's graft and corruption into the Olympics for personal wealth.

The IOC had to do an unprecedented double award out to 2028 because the list of interested cities was drying up fast. They had to award it to LA before LA realized it was a bad decision.

TP2000

Bloomberg just updated it's excellent Covid Vaccine tracking site for the end of day Friday (6PM Eastern time).

On Friday, California remains in dead last place for the percent of its given vaccines actually administered.

I'm adding in the raw numbers for doses distributed to each state, because all states received more doses this week. California received just over 1 Million additional doses from the Feds this week, and that's reflected in Friday's tally.

#2 West Virginia = 231,800 Doses Distributed, 182,460 Doses Given, 78.7% Doses Used
#12 Texas = 2,884,425 Doses Distributed, 1,644,781 Doses Given, 57.0% Doses Used
#19 Michigan = 1,094,275 Doses Distributed, 598,127 Doses Given, 54.7% Doses Used
#21 Florida = 2,616,250 Doses Distributed, 1,389,149 Doses Given, 53.1% Doses Used
#50 California = 4,714,625 Doses Distributed, 1,803,679 Doses Given, 38.3% Doses Used

So going into this weekend, there are currently 2.9 Million of unused doses sitting in freezers across California.

For the per capita rankings of shots in arms, California is #48. We are eeking out a win over two states that are worse; Nevada and South Carolina.

West Virginia = 10.18 Shots Per 100 Citizens
Florida = 6.47 Shots Per 100 Citizens
Michigan = 6.0 Shots Per 100 Citizens
Texas = 5.67 Shots Per 100 Citizens
California = 4.56 Shots Per 100 Citizens
South Carolina = 4.45 Shots Per 100 Citizens
Nevada = 4.11 Shots Per 100 Citizens

Last edited:

TP2000

Bloomberg has also updated their global statistics on national performance, with the close of Friday business in Europe and Washington DC.

This hard data will not be good news for the "America Sucks! I'm Moving To Canada!" stylish crowd, but the facts are simply the facts on this one. The United States continues to be among the very best countries for administering vaccine to its citizens, both per capita and in total raw numbers.

Two million additional doses have been given to Americans since yesterday's numbers.

Covid Vaccine Shots Given Per Capita, By Nation As Of 1/21/21

United Kingdom = 5.8 Million Doses Given, 8.8 Doses Per 100 Brits
United States = 20.0 Million Doses Given, 6.0 Doses Per 100 Americans
Spain = 1.2 Million Doses Given, 2.5 Doses Given Per 100 Spaniards
Italy = 1.3 Million Doses Given, 2.2 Doses Given Per 100 Italians
Canada = 766,000 Doses Given, 2.0 Doses Given Per 100 Canadians
Germany = 1.5 Million Doses Given, 1.8 Doses Given Per 100 Germans
France = 824,000 Doses Given, 1.5 Doses Given Per 100 Frenchmen
Sweden = 147,000 Doses Given, 1.4 Doses Given Per 100 Swedes
Belgium = 163,000 Doses Given, 1.4 Doses Given Per 100 Belgians
Netherlands = 77,000 Doses Given, 0.5 Doses Given Per 100 Dutchmen

Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, South Africa, Japan, etc. have not yet received any vaccines to give to their citizens.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Bloomberg just updated it's excellent Covid Vaccine tracking site for the end of day Friday (6PM Eastern time).

On Friday, California remains in dead last place for the percent of its given vaccines actually administered.

I'm adding in the raw numbers for doses distributed to each state, because all states received more doses this week. California received just over 1 Million additional doses from the Feds this week, and that's reflected in Friday's tally.

#2 West Virginia = 231,800 Doses Distributed, 182,460 Doses Given, 78.7% Doses Used
#12 Texas = 2,884,425 Doses Distributed, 1,644,781 Doses Given, 57.0% Doses Used
#21 Florida = 2,616,250 Doses Distributed, 1,389,149 Doses Given, 53.1% Doses Used
#50 California = 4,714,625 Doses Distributed, 1,803,679 Doses Given, 38.3% Doses Used

So going into this weekend, there are currently 2.9 Million of unused doses sitting in freezers across California.

For the per capita rankings of shots in arms, California is #48. We are eeking out a win over two states that are worse; Nevada and South Carolina.

West Virginia = 10.18 Shots Per 100 Citizens
Florida = 6.47 Shots Per 100 Citizens
Texas = 5.67 Shots Per 100 Citizens
California = 4.56 Shots Per 100 Citizens
South Carolina = 4.45 Shots Per 100 Citizens
Nevada = 4.11 Shots Per 100 Citizens

I still think you're looking at this shortsighted as well as focusing on the wrong things. But I've given up on trying to get you to realize that. You want to live in your bubble of "California sucks at everything", and that is fine by me. I can see the faults, but also see the improvements.

So with that I'd like to point out that California is now averaging over 100k doses administered per day now. That is a increase of 33% over last week when it was averaging 75k per day. With the new sites coming online including the one that you yourself posted here just a bit ago California will continue to increase capacity. And so if California continues to increase capacity at this weeks rate we'll be pretty well off by spring time.

But hey California suck right.

TP2000

I still think you're looking at this shortsighted as well as focusing on the wrong things.

What is it about being in dead last place that appeals to you exactly?

You do pay taxes in this state, right? And you're fine with being behind Alabama for all that money?

Also, have you reached out to Bloomberg, the New York Times, CNN, etc. who all maintain these Covid Vaccine tracking websites to share your concerns that they are focusing on the wrong things by placing California in last place?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
What is it about being in dead last place that appeals to you exactly?

You do pay taxes in this state, right? And you're fine with being behind Alabama for all that money?
Dead last at what though? You're focusing on the wrong stat. And also this isn't a competition, WHO CARES that we are behind Alabama in the "amount of supply used". We're ALL fighting the same virus by distributing a vaccine. Distribution mind you that California is now doing faster than any other state daily.

And for per capita California and Alabama (since you like to focus on them) are effectively the same, 4.56 and 4.57 respectively (if we use Bloomberg). In reality Alabama isn't really "beating" us.

Also I'd like to point out that by the end of this weekend California will have distributed over 2M doses. And while math was never my strong suit my quick back of the envelope math tells me that we could be hitting over 250k doses daily in a couple weeks. If the capacity comes online as we're expecting it will. Its exponential growth my friend. Yes it started slow, and that was bad, but now we're starting to get rolling and should see a huge increase weekly.

But whatever, California sucks right.

TP2000

But whatever, California sucks right.

When it comes to administering Covid vaccine to 40 Million Californians, it certainly does suck.

This afternoon in SoCal, KFI covered this mercilessly as they have been, but they noted that what is interesting is that suddenly the media are picking up on this story also. You can't hide these stats week after week forever, and the media are now covering it with stories like these...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
When it comes to administering Covid vaccine to 40 Million Californians, it certainly does suck.

This afternoon in SoCal, KFI covered this mercilessly as they have been, but they noted that what is interesting is that suddenly the media are picking up on this story also. You can't hide these stats week after week forever, and the media are now covering it with stories like these...

And what happens when other states start getting more shipments as manufacturing of the vaccine increases? Then that number will drop down again. Its a stupid stat to pay attention to, because supply is always going to be up and down.

Its simple some weeks California will use more supply then it receives, and other weeks it'll receive more supply than it uses. Its Supply Chain and Business 101, you never want to use up all your supply, always want to keep reserves on hand in case there is a supply chain disruption. Not sure why its a hard concept to grasp.

Really the only true stat that should be paid attention to is how many people have been fully vaccinated. Because that is when this pandemic is over. But you go ahead and pay attention to some silly supply ranking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom