Crafts, hobbies and other fun stuff

wdwfan4ver

My other obsession...board games. Don’t judge.

View attachment 523760
I have no problem with it. My reasoning is easy. My younger brother and I play video games as a hobby. We have a lot of systems and games. You don't want to know how many shelves are used for video games.

Board games is a form of gaming like video games are. As long as have you fan do what you are doing, that is all matter.

ImperfectPixie

Those miniatures are AMAZING. I may need to consider using some of the materials and techniques the next time I need to create a natural looking surrounding for a sculpture.

Timmay

Hah a lot that isn't photographed. Been collecting since 1988. 3rd Edition Warhammer is my preferred system. How about you?
I’m more of a skirmish guy that an army guy. Oh man. Let’s see...Warcry, Frostgrave, Zona Alfa, rangers of shadow deep...then there are the board games. Imperial assault, fallout, hellboy, journeys in middle earth, space hulk.

just realized why I’m broke.

ImperfectPixie

I stopped trying to keep it clean.
After professionally hand-painting signs for so many years, I'm generally not a "dripper" or "splatterer"...but my boys on the other hand...

I'm most guilty of grabbing my lamps to re-aim the light while I have a long brush in my hand that has paint on it and leaving a nice, unintended racing stripe on it in a new color that I don't notice until much later. 😂

NiarrNDisney

What a great thread! I too am a crafter/maker many of the things I create end up in my little shop (a case) inside a large antique mall here in Colorado Springs. I create lots of things like accessories, costumes, dioramas and trinket boxes but my favorite thing to make is jewelry. Here are some Disney themed and some other pieces that I recently finished and will be heading to the case. (Some of the items are made from vintage pieces that I took apart and recreated to include the Mickey Mouse.
So glad to share with you all and see what everyone is making.

Attachments

• Constance Hatchaway earrings.jpg
    Constance Hatchaway earrings.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Vintage Necklaces.jpg
    Vintage Necklaces.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Gold Bracelets.jpg
    Gold Bracelets.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 29

Songbird76

I have a relative who's into that, almost flunked a year of school because of it:eek:
Yeah, it's a hobby like anything else....I like to read, and watch things on Disney+ or Netflix, etc. The problem is when you can't put down the hobby to do things that you need to do, when it consumes all your time. For my ex, it became the only thing he did and he would make excuses for why he needed to go play instead of taking responsibility. Like, when he left the book at home and locked himself out, I was in all the same classes....he could have just shared a book with me for that hour. But his excuse was he was really stressed out and needed a break. But then anything would set him off and he'd need to blow off steam with a magic game. And he'd expect me to handle his responsibilities. If someone else had had the shift before him at work, he would have made the effort to get there, but it was too easy for him to just call me and say "I'll be late" because the rule was that you couldn't leave until the next person got there. So I was stuck, but he also still got paid for it instead of me, because he was scheduled and didn't call in to let them know I was working for part of his shift. No one checked that...you just signed the log that you were there.

Then there were the things like....we had to actually set a date night that we couldn't miss because otherwise he'd spend every minute of free time playing magic and not spend any time with me, but he'd be angry if I wasn't home when he called. He entered a tournament and I needed clothes for student teaching, so I dropped him off and it was supposed to be an all day thing. I told him I was going shopping because there were some big sales, and I called my neighbor and we went looking for teacher clothes. I came home an hour and a half later to an irate message on the machine asking where the heck I was, he had lost his first game and I was supposed to pick him up and now he was stuck there, etc. If he won, he was excited and wanted to celebrate, if he lost he was angry and wanted to rant, and I was supposed to sit at home while he played so he could be sure no one was flirting with me or saying bad things about him, and I was supposed to be ready to work for him or cover for him if he wanted to play late. He left an assignment in arranging music until the night before it was due and only had a couple of hours to do it. I had been working on mine for days. He lucked out because the teacher liked him....I don't think the teacher even really looked at it because he did a terrible job on it and still got an A, (he acknowledged that his was awful...almost the entire thing was in unison) while I had a much better arrangement and got a B. But that just encouraged him...he kind of felt invincible, like he could just do everything at a mediocre level and other people would cover for him or let him slide. I don't know if he still plays as I haven't really had contact with him since I broke off the engagement, but for his wife and kids' sake, I hope he has it better under control if he does play.

Timmay

What a great thread! I too am a crafter/maker many of the things I create end up in my little shop (a case) inside a large antique mall here in Colorado Springs. I create lots of things like accessories, costumes, dioramas and trinket boxes but my favorite thing to make is jewelry. Here are some Disney themed and some other pieces that I recently finished and will be heading to the case. (Some of the items are made from vintage pieces that I took apart and recreated to include the Mickey Mouse.
So glad to share with you all and see what everyone is making.
Really nice!! Where at in Colorado Springs? I grew up and went to high school there. Parents and lots of family still live there. Heard that Fargo’s closed. I’m so sad.

Timmay

Hah a lot that isn't photographed. Been collecting since 1988. 3rd Edition Warhammer is my preferred system. How about you?
Have you tried the citadel contrast paints? They are useful in some cases. I did that warhammer carnosaur above with them.

NiarrNDisney

Really nice!! Where at in Colorado Springs? I grew up and went to high school there. Parents and lots of family still live there. Heard that Fargo’s closed. I’m so sad.
The store is American Classics Marketplace located off Constitution and Academy. I live Northwest in the Rockrimmon area. As for Fargos I don't know as I personally am not a fan so I don't keep up with it.

Last edited:

Timmay

The store or myself? The Store is American Classics Marketplace on Constitution and Academy. I live Northwest in the Rockrimmon area. As for Fargos I don't know as I personally am not a fan so I don't keep up with it.
How long have you lived there? I have a brother that lives up in Rockrimmon. My parents live right around the corner from your store near Palmer Park and Murray. I went to Mitchell high school as a matter of fact. Fargo’s was the place to be back in the very early 80’s when I was in high school. I’ll miss it.

NiarrNDisney

How long have you lived there? I have a brother that lives up in Rockrimmon. My parents live right around the corner from your store near Palmer Park and Murray. I went to Mitchell high school as a matter of fact. Fargo’s was the place to be back in the very early 80’s when I was in high school. I’ll miss it.
I have lived here since the late 90's. Love it and dont intend to leave anytime soon.

Timmay

I have lived here since the late 90's. Love it and dont intend to leave anytime soon.
It’s a really great place. Garden of the Gods, the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, The Air Force Academy, Colorado College hockey...I do miss it sometimes. I’m happy where I’m at now though. Left The Springs when I got out of college in 87 (CU) and moved to Denver. Was there until 2010. Haven’t been back much this past year, obviously.

Good grief...think I’m going to cry

ImperfectPixie

Here's some more of my work...

23722618_1601138009942684_7100387254002162298_n.jpg

One-shot lettering enamels on aluminum, hand-painted and airbrushed (terrible picture though). I actually used a flamingo feather I'd picked up off the ground at - God's truth - Discovery Island at WDW to create the "marbleized" background using blue, pink, white, purple, and sky blue paint, sprayed with turpentine from a pump hairspray bottle, then sort of used tilting the aluminum to get the paint to spread and added more veining with the feather and turpentine technique until I felt happy with it (now that I'm older, I wish I hadn't used that feather though, as I still have others from the same trip).

23755048_1601138023276016_4848942788977797640_n.jpg
One-shot lettering enamels and 23k gold leaf reverse-hand-painted on glass

23783493_1601141146609037_4039578741100025456_o.jpg
Hand-carved unicorn horns, unfinished

Unicorn Horn 6.jpg
Unicorn horn #1 finished - painted with acrylics and burnished with mother-of-pearl and gold bronzing powder

@Timmay ...you'll likely appreciate these ones. The coffee table was a retirement gift. The sign was a memorial plaque for an officer who died on duty.

Quincy Police Coffee Table 2.jpg
Quincy Police Badge.jpg
Quincy Police Coffee Table.jpg
State Police Badge.jpg
I'd like to smack whoever took this picture (I can't remember who it was...but we were rushing to get it finished in time for the dedication ceremony, so there's that. I was finishing up the paint when the two officers who ordered it came to pick it up. It was such a detailed piece that we knew timing was going to be super-tight.)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom