News Structure built in Kilimanjaro Safaris?

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
In the original poacher version (still liked it better :/) was there anything in that particular location? Interesting that they're calling it the "Kilimanjaro Finale".

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I'm not a insider, but I have a few friend of a friend connections that get the occasional scoop. They don't hear much and only tell me about half of what they hear, but usually anything they tell me I hear about on here from insiders or official announcements about a week later.

Point is, the grapevine was saying that there was a plan to add back in a bit more storytelling and traditional theme park/Disney flair to this ride. Not a full poachers chase scene being brought back, but something along those lines. It was going to be a part of the 50th and had even had some discussion of an on ride photo being added for some easy money. My friend of a friend thinks this shack is gonna be a part of this. Disney is looking at some of the "plusses" they had planned for the 50th to see what ones will be the cheapest/easiest to add so they can still get some post-corona buzz going without spending as much.

Again, this could be entirely unrelated and just a coincidence that this shack seems to line up with what they had heard about the safari story plans and is instead just mundane utility stuff. And no source of inside info is 100% accurate.

I'd love to hear if any more reliable insiders like @marni1971 or @Magic Feather know anything.

UNCgolf

I actually hope not.

I liked the original Safari and thought removing the story was a mistake, but I was wrong. The current version lets the animals be the stars and gives you more time to focus on actually seeing them. They're the reason people are riding it; anything that minimizes them even slightly will likely make it worse.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
I actually hope not.

I liked the original Safari and thought removing the story was a mistake, but I was wrong. The current version lets the animals be the stars and gives you more time to focus on actually seeing them. They're the reason people are riding it; anything that minimizes them even slightly will likely make it worse.

One can go to a zoo or any number of drive-thru safaris for the same or similar experience. The poacher plot while somewhat hokey, did add to the experience (as did many of the other effects that have since been turned off or removed)

So much of what made the attraction an "attraction" has been stripped away. The current version feels less "magical" or entertaining because of it, IMO. I think a happy medium should be the end goal. Something to elevate it beyond the typical zoo/safari concept.

UNCgolf

One can go to a zoo or any number of drive-thru safaris for the same or similar experience. The poacher plot while somewhat hokey, did add to the experience (as did many of the other effects that have since been turned off or removed)

So much of what made the attraction an "attraction" has been stripped away. The current version feels less "magical" or entertaining because of it, IMO. I think a happy medium should be the end goal. Something to elevate it beyond the typical zoo/safari concept.

There are no drive-thru safaris remotely similar (at least that I'm aware of) to what you get at Animal Kingdom. They don't have the same type of animals, they aren't themed nearly as well (if at all) to more accurately portray the natural habitat, and most importantly, the vast majority of those places treat the animals very poorly and shouldn't be getting anyone's money. A standard zoo is fundamentally different as well.

That doesn't mean they can't add some sort of story that improves the attraction, though. I don't know what it would be, but it's certainly possible. I just don't want the poacher plot to return. The Safari was a significantly improved experience without it. And again, I'm saying that as someone who actually liked the poacher plot and thought removing it was a bad idea.

When I think back on the first couple of times I rode Kiliminjaro Safaris, all I really remember is the poacher plot and the fake baby elephant. I don't remember the animals at all. On my more recent rides, I have very vivid memories of some really cool animal moments. I vastly prefer the latter, but I understand if people prefer the former -- I just think there's less reason to have real animals at all if the focus is going to be on a story where the animals are only functioning as a backdrop.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom