Best Resorts

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Value: POP, Music, Movies- POP is my fave out of these
Mod: CBR, POFQ- actually loved them both, though CBR was prior to Skyliner and redesign, so...
Deluxe/ DVC: Wilderness, Beach Club, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk, AKL, Saratoga- Wilderness is my fave out of these

Though Wilderness is my overall favorite, just because of the feeling it gives me, different resorts are best for the reason or season. If I'm attending during Food & Wine, then Beach or Boardwalk. If it's Christmas time, then BLT or Wilderness. POFQ was adorable, and perfectly sized to be able to get around. I like the bus service and food court at POP best, but I also love resorts with 2 modes of transportation....many different reasons to like a multitude of resorts. There isn't one on the list that I wouldn't stay at again, though theme-wise alone, BLT was my least favorite of the list.

BigDlover

I have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, French Quarter and now at All Star Sports. In my humble opinion, I liked All Star Sports the best. You can flame away.
Interesting! I'd love to hear your thoughts about that!

I've only stayed in Wilderness Lodge (twice) and Pop Century. My family has had an off-property timeshare since before DVC was popular so we didn't know about it. With that said, I love visiting the resorts on every trip! My favorites are (I haven't been to Riviera yet):

Wilderness Lodge (my favorite!)
Grand Floridian
Polynesian
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Beach Club
Boardwalk Inn

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
WL is so beautiful for Christmas! Just curious but why did you list BLT for Christmas? I don't think I've visited there for Christmas - do they do anything cool or something?

Oh, haha that is a little misleading, sorry. I mean they do have a gingerbread display too (though nothing as great as GF) but I should have clarified more. WL, yes for its beauty and hominess at Christmas time, but we chose BLT one year for Christmas because of its walking path to MK, which is the park I visit most at that time of year.

EdnaMode

We have stayed at GF, Contempo, Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge.

1. Grand Floridian and Contemporary are neck-and-neck at the top for me.
  • CONTEMPO: We love the convenience of walking from Contempo, and the park view rooms are great. I love The Wave and California Grill. The main areas of the hotel are pandemonium all the time, but I really enjoy that frenzied vibe with all the happy families, so it doesn't bother me.
  • GF: We love the resort atmosphere at GF, the resort itself is nicer than Contempo. I love the easy walk to Polynesia from GF. The orchestra in the lobby and the shops are a nice plus. Other than GFCafe, I think the dining options at GF could really be improved. I love the easy boat trips back after MK close (But where's that MK bridge?!?).
  • BOTH: The rooms at both are large and well arranged, I think they're furnished more to my taste at Contempo than GF.
2. Depending on the time of year, I would put Wilderness Lodge and Polynesian pretty close to one another in second.
  • POLY: We love the resort grounds at Polynesian, and I like the rooms on the DVC side. The rooms on the hotel side need a refresher STAT. You can't beat the easy access to the TTC, and....those meatballs at Cap'n Cooks. (And 'Ohana in your room!!) The one big negative for me is any room that is too close to the ferry....that horn starts a little too early for my needs.
  • WL: We love Wilderness Lodge in the colder weather. The pool area is great. The lobby's a bit dark, and I don't love the dining options. But I find the boat transportation over to Contempo and MK works really well. I don't feel as isolated there as I expected.
  • BOTH: Totally different resorts, but if they were the only two resorts that existed, I would stay at Poly from February - October, and WL from Nov- Jan.
We both feel like Hollywood Studios is becoming such a fun park and because we love to walk, will probably try one of the EPCOT resorts sometime. (Open to suggestions based on the above!)

Last edited:

jmargarone27

No flames from me either. I hear all kinds of negative things about my favorite resort, but it doesn't change my opinion. I still love the Contemporary.

I had a teacher in elementary school that loved Disney and we’d talk about it all the time during lunch or recess. His favorite resort was the Contemporary so it always reminds me of him! I’m a GF lover myself and always get hated on too lol.

HouCuseChickie

I had a teacher in elementary school that loved Disney and we’d talk about it all the time during lunch or recess. His favorite resort was the Contemporary so it always reminds me of him! I’m a GF lover myself and always get hated on too lol.

I'd like to stay at the GF at some point, but my husband isn't a fan. I find that to be funny, because we've popped into the GF for meals on our way to and from south FL (road trips to visit family) and as soon as he sits in the lobby, he always has that "maybe we should book a couple of nights right now" comment.

aliceismad

I'd like to stay at the GF at some point, but my husband isn't a fan. I find that to be funny, because we've popped into the GF for meals on our way to and from south FL (road trips to visit family) and as soon as he sits in the lobby, he always has that "maybe we should book a couple of nights right now" comment.
I thought GF seemed stuffy until we went there for the Mary Poppins/Alice breakfast on our most recent trip. We walked the lobby and grounds a bit (my DH and DD played cornhole while we waited for our table) and now it's on my short list for future trips. :)

My DH loves the Contemporary, even though we've only stayed at BLT. He loves the monorail going through the building.

jmargarone27

It’s the best! I’ve said it before but once you stay there you’re spoiled. Whenever I can’t stay there, it’s just not the same trip! Take the plunge and try it sometime.

Laurensl

I have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, French Quarter and now at All Star Sports. In my humble opinion, I liked All Star Sports the best. You can flame away.
I’m not going to flame - everyone can have their own opinion and stay where they want to stay. But I am curious why you like All Star best? My family and I are thinking of staying at Beach Club and am curious for opinions on it.

Laurensl

No flames from me, I think that is one of the things Disney does best. offer such a wide variety of things to attract different taste.

My absolute favorite is Beach club and it's not the best "designed" resort.
Thinking of staying there next. Why do you love it? We love G Flo but thinking of trying something new. But don’t want to be disappointed.

Laurensl

I’ll never understand the hate for the Grand Floridian. It’s been and always will be my favorite!! Classic Disney, great location, and just a step above the rest of the hotels. Haven’t tried the Four Seasons, I’m sure it’s awesome but I honestly wouldn’t feel right going to Disney and not staying at the GF! It’s not perfect, rooms need updating for sure. But I did hear from a CM that all three monorail resorts are getting massive room renovations before the 50th anniversary...guess we’ll find out.
We love the g flo too. The smell of the lobby. Ahhhh it’s just so beautiful and classy. And nothing feels too far away. Watching fireworks from the stairs in front of the qs then popping right up to your room is the perfect end to a Disney day. I have a lot of fun memories there.

eliza61nyc

Thinking of staying there next. Why do you love it? We love G Flo but thinking of trying something new. But don’t want to be disappointed.

Warning:. This is going to be Corny 😂

So, the first thing I love about it is the bright "airyness" of the lobby. It's one of the few resorts that seems " just": right in size. For example AK lobby while spectacular is huge so it does feel like one could lose your kid if he got to far ahead of you. 😂. BC doesn't do that. The color palette is warm and fun, automatically relaxes me. I love how the noise level is just right, you hear a blend of the background music and children's laughter and no matter how crowded it is, it never seems loud.
Of course the location cannot be beat. Walk to 2 parks and easy access to all the eateries at the boardwalk. One of my favorite pastime is waking up early, walking over to the Boardwalk bakery and getting some treats. Early morning soft music piped in and the horn blast from the boast. What a way to start the day. If there is a more perfect spot, I am hard pressed to think of one.
The quick service is pretty good and you of course beaches and cream.

Lol funny story, our first time staying there we would end every day with ice cream from B&C well finally on the 4th night my husband said, "humm E we are spending 50 bucks a night on ice cream, we might want to rethink this". Lol

Laurensl

Warning:. This is going to be Corny 😂

So, the first thing I love about it is the bright "airyness" of the lobby. It's one of the few resorts that seems " just": right in size. For example AK lobby while spectacular is huge so it does feel like one could lose your kid if he got to far ahead of you. 😂. BC doesn't do that. The color palette is warm and fun, automatically relaxes me. I love how the noise level is just right, you hear a blend of the background music and children's laughter and no matter how crowded it is, it never seems loud.
Of course the location cannot be beat. Walk to 2 parks and easy access to all the eateries at the boardwalk. One of my favorite pastime is waking up early, walking over to the Boardwalk bakery and getting some treats. Early morning soft music piped in and the horn blast from the boast. What a way to start the day. If there is a more perfect spot, I am hard pressed to think of one.
The quick service is pretty good and you of course beaches and cream.

Lol funny story, our first time staying there we would end every day with ice cream from B&C well finally on the 4th night my husband said, "humm E we are spending 50 bucks a night on ice cream, we might want to rethink this". Lol
Love it!!! That’s so sweet. Literally and figuratively. You may have sold me! Isn’t it an unwritten that you are required to eat ice cream every night at wdw?

Lilofan

A little hotel room with 4 walls is all we need at All Star. And walking distance to a full service 24/7 McDonalds ( at Disney prices) but still reasonable at the All Star entrance!

HouCuseChickie

I thought GF seemed stuffy until we went there for the Mary Poppins/Alice breakfast on our most recent trip. We walked the lobby and grounds a bit (my DH and DD played cornhole while we waited for our table) and now it's on my short list for future trips. :)

My DH loves the Contemporary, even though we've only stayed at BLT. He loves the monorail going through the building.

My husband feels it's stuffy, yet we've eaten there at the various restaurants many times. I think it's pretty and love the floral scents in the lobby over the summer and the gingerbread house and tree around Christmas.

I've never stayed a BLT, but I have several friends who are DVC with it as their home resort.

It’s the best! I’ve said it before but once you stay there you’re spoiled. Whenever I can’t stay there, it’s just not the same trip! Take the plunge and try it sometime.

One of these days, we will. It's the only monorail/MK area resort we haven't stayed at. I feel like I need to complete the loop :hilarious:

rreading

We have stayed at GF, Contempo, Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge.

1. Grand Floridian and Contemporary are neck-and-neck at the top for me.
  • CONTEMPO: We love the convenience of walking from Contempo, and the park view rooms are great. I love The Wave and California Grill. The main areas of the hotel are pandemonium all the time, but I really enjoy that frenzied vibe with all the happy families, so it doesn't bother me.
  • GF: We love the resort atmosphere at GF, the resort itself is nicer than Contempo. I love the easy walk to Polynesia from GF. The orchestra in the lobby and the shops are a nice plus. Other than GFCafe, I think the dining options at GF could really be improved. I love the easy boat trips back after MK close (But where's that MK bridge?!?).
  • BOTH: The rooms at both are large and well arranged, I think they're furnished more to my taste at Contempo than GF.
2. Depending on the time of year, I would put Wilderness Lodge and Polynesian pretty close to one another in second.
  • POLY: We love the resort grounds at Polynesian, and I like the rooms on the DVC side. The rooms on the hotel side need a refresher STAT. You can't beat the easy access to the TTC, and....those meatballs at Cap'n Cooks. (And 'Ohana in your room!!) The one big negative for me is any room that is too close to the ferry....that horn starts a little too early for my needs.
  • WL: We love Wilderness Lodge in the colder weather. The pool area is great. The lobby's a bit dark, and I don't love the dining options. But I find the boat transportation over to Contempo and MK works really well. I don't feel as isolated there as I expected.
  • BOTH: Totally different resorts, but if they were the only two resorts that existed, I would stay at Poly from February - October, and WL from Nov- Jan.
We both feel like Hollywood Studios is becoming such a fun park and because we love to walk, will probably try one of the EPCOT resorts sometime. (Open to suggestions based on the above!)

We've only stayed at the Beach Club. Stormalong Bay is so nice, and one night after helping the wife put the kids to bed, there was still time to sneak back into Epcot to grab a drink at the Rose & Crown prior to watching Illuminations. It's definitely a top-tier memory.

Flip side is that I did not feel that I go the true Epcot experience, since we never walked in the front entrance appreciating SSE. We haven't been back since partially due to that. Riding the monorail through Epcot and then walking in the front entrance is core WDW for me...

aliceismad

I've never stayed a BLT, but I have several friends who are DVC with it as their home resort.
We loved BLT. We rented points, and because it was a birthday for DH, I sent a room request to see if we could get a view of the fireworks (we had a lakeview studio). Watching fireworks over the castle from our balcony was a pretty wonderful memory. And riding the monorail was great fun.

The only thing I didn't love about BLT was that the pool felt a little lackluster. It was nice, but I wished it felt a little more Disney, if that makes sense.

rreading

We loved BLT. We rented points, and because it was a birthday for DH, I sent a room request to see if we could get a view of the fireworks (we had a lakeview studio). Watching fireworks over the castle from our balcony was a pretty wonderful memory. And riding the monorail was great fun.

The only thing I didn't love about BLT was that the pool felt a little lackluster. It was nice, but I wished it felt a little more Disney, if that makes sense.

It's tricky. My kids love the pool at BLT since they have one of the highest waterslides. Clearly it's not themed like Poly, or WL but neither is the resort. But when we talk about where they would like to stay next, the pool at BLT is a draw for them.

I suppose for me, the mickey on the slide and the CMs doing games gives it enough Disney for us.

Were it not for the kids, I would prefer other pools though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom