Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwink

I agree that they wouldn’t lay off workers right away. They want them ready to go as soon as it’s safe to re-open. A furlough is much more likely, but I still think there is a good chance they could extend again with pay if the opening date ends up being in May. If this goes past Memorial Day all bets are off.

Tokyo CMs work for OLC not Disney. For Shanghai and Hong Kong, Disney is only a part owner and the local governments calls the shots.
You think they’d pay beyond the 18th? I don’t see that happening. I think it will be a furlough after that date

21stamps

You're right. It was all mixed together. Not sure why I always thought of them as separate. Looks like I was wrong about Ally too; we did get our money back on that. Woohoo! Haha

I don't think there was much of a chance of GM stock reaching the levels needed for the government to make a profit, though. But I think economists still say it was the right decision.

GM absolutely did right by the bailout. I was against it at the time, but that company made so many positive strides afterwards. It ended up being worth it.

JohnD

I'm glad at least they are paying full paychecks thru April 19 so cast can make arrangements

That’s a key date. State offices are closed to the public through 4/19. The next day, Monday 4/20 will be one to watch. Will state offices reopen to the public? Even if they do, the ban on inside restaurant dining is not lifted in FL until 5/8 unless Gov. DeSantis extends it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know it’s been said that we’ve pushed off the peak date due to social distancing and school closures, etc.. I hope it gets pushed back farther, but I also worry that there’s no way our schools will open back up on schedule.
I’m worried that school won’t come back until September. We are supposed to be done June 12 which could be pushed back a week or 2 but without AC the schools won’t stay open into July. If we don’t go back by May 1 I fear the school year may be cancelled. I’ve already written off baseball for the kids :(

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You think they’d pay beyond the 18th? I don’t see that happening. I think it will be a furlough after that date
I think it depends if they have an opening date by then. If it looks like the parks will be open before Memorial Day it’s possible they extend the pay for a few more weeks. If there’s no date in site or if projections are looking like June or later than yes, probably a furlough.

Lilofan

The Kentucky governor’s presser today brought up a good point in re needing to have a regional, rather than state by state, approach to social distancing. Kentucky, like most states east of the Mississippi (and all of its neighboring states), right now has ordered restaurants to be closed except for takeout or drive thrus. But Tennessee apparently has not ordered restaurants closed and not surprisingly has had a bigger spike in Covid cases than Kentucky. Kentucky counties along the Tennessee border have had something of a spike in cases because it’s an easy drive for them to get to an open restaurant in Tennessee. I’d hate for this to have to be a national order, but I do wish a neighboring state that actually has more population centers would enact this simple precaution for a few weeks. It would help them out and their neighboring states.
This is another reason why our country cannot open in a few weeks.

21stamps

I’m worried that school won’t come back until September. We are supposed to be done June 12 which could be pushed back a week or 2 but without AC the schools won’t stay open into July. If we don’t go back by May 1 I fear the school year may be cancelled. I’ve already written off baseball for the kids ;(

The only thing I know for sure is that our year won’t be extended. Our school is doing around 6 hours of schoolwork per day. Friday’s are now a catch up day though, no new work assigned, other than projects they’re already working on.

I just think of people like me, sole parents, or households where both parents work full time.. I’ve navigated for 10 years with work and childcare... but this situation is impossible to plan for. What’s needed is a nanny who is also qualified to homeschool..which equals a hefty unplanned expense. There are going to be so many families who can’t afford that. Which means there will be so many parents, especially women, who will have to quit their job to be able to stay home during what should be school hours...if the school year is cancelled altogether, or postponed.

JohnD

I think it depends if they have an opening date by then. If it looks like the parks will be open before Memorial Day it’s possible they extend the pay for a few more weeks. If there’s no date in site or if projections are looking like June or later than yes, probably a furlough.

I’m counting on it. I have plans to be there 5/25-5/30. I’m ready to be flexible and understanding. So should everyone if they return soon after re-opening.

ToTBellHop

I know it’s been said that we’ve pushed off the peak date due to social distancing and school closures, etc.. I hope it gets pushed back farther, but I also worry that there’s no way our schools will open back up on schedule.
You can view projections by state. In the current “hot spots”, it seems it is POSSIBLE that kids could return to school toward Memorial Day. Elsewhere, including Florida, it looks like school will return in the fall. Florida isn’t looking to calm down until almost July.

Polynesia

That’s a key date. State offices are closed to the public through 4/19. The next day, Monday 4/20 will be one to watch. Will state offices reopen to the public? Even if they do, the ban on inside restaurant dining is not lifted in FL until 5/8 unless Gov. DeSantis extends it.
Universal has a date of 4/19. LEGOLAND set their date for 4/14. I believe Disney will reopen by middle of May and cast members will continue to get paid. Eventually the world has to reopen. It can’t be shut down for months on end. I believe the steps being taken by the states will be successful.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Universal has a date of 4/19. LEGOLAND set their date for 4/14. I believe Disney will reopen by middle of May and cast members will continue to get paid. Eventually the world has to reopen. It can’t be shut down for months on end. I believe the steps being taken by the states will be successful.

Wait, I thought Disney was just a blind follower of UO. And yet, Disney's not following UO's lead and announcing closure until mid-April, but instead, being more honest that they have no idea how long the the lockdown will be.

Lilofan

Disney continues to pay cast through May? Does lightning strike again?

21stamps

That’s already the case in the UK

Have they said how this will impact high school students and their future university applications? Or sports?
Is the U.K. doing homeschooling so they all can still have the chance to advance to the next grades?

Sorry for the bombardment, but these are the questions that I have no idea how they’ll be handled.

thomas998

It would surprise me if the cases go down and become controlled. You can’t just shut down the world for 6 months. 2 is difficult enough, but necessary.
Whether the leaders want to admit it or not, I think the reality is they have now decided that everyone is going to get it sooner or later so they simply want to control the timing of people getting it. Allowing business as usual but banning large groups would give them more control but still avoid the complete disruption we have now. I'm betting that we will see a slow roll out of what is allowed group wise. I would expect restaurants below 100 or some arbitrary number would be the first phase allowed, maybe in the next wave allowing theater under 500 people... but large mega sized groups like you get at Disney or a musical concert could easily be banned throughout the summer.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Have they said high school students and their university applications? Or sports?
Is the U.K. doing homeschooling so they all can still have the chance to advance to the next grades?

Sorry for the bombardment, but these are the questions that I have no idea how they’ll be handled.
Grades are to be taken from mocks, predictions and teacher input. Exams cancelled. So far as I know pretty much all sport from grass roots to pro is cancelled.

That's all I know, not having children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom