Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
does anyone know if they plan on staying closed after the end of the month??? I don’t know what to do! My trip is booked at 3/30-4/5. They say they’ll be open on 4/1. I don’t know if I should wait it out or if I should cancel???
We were due to arrive in DLP April 1st. We’re moving it back to later in the year. Personally I’d be surprised if they reopen in two weeks.

disneygeek90

does anyone know if they plan on staying closed after the end of the month??? I don’t know what to do! My trip is booked at 3/30-4/5. They say they’ll be open on 4/1. I don’t know if I should wait it out or if I should cancel???
I’d wait and see how it looks as it gets closer. Personally, I don’t have my hopes up that they’ll be open then. But that’s just my feeling.

As someone who frequents the parks on a weekly basis, I’m already going into withdrawals. I’ll be watching ROTR POV’s in the near future...

ELG13

Here’s what we have -

All of the SAHM’s posting daily schedules on FB and telling everyone that family time is the best time and we should all enjoy this

People going crazy at grocery stores (I have yet to be to one since all of it started, and no plans to go now)

Other than those minor & avoidable annoyances, it’s relatively normal. People are still out.. businesses are still open.
As a sahm I can say I am telling everyone to "enjoy this time" sarcastically. Many people don't know what it's like to spend more than a few hours a day with their kids 🤣 Im also freaking out because since I'm pregnant, I do not have the company of wine to help me though this time 😁

I just look at it like a hurricane. But atleast we have power.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know. We all watched it.

Here’s the thing, there’s no way for them to know that, because- WE DON’T HAVE ENOUGH TESTS.

not yelling at you, just simply expressing my own frustration. It’s nearly impossible to get tested, so we have no idea. Yet they come on tv and freak everyone out by just rattling off such a number.
We do need more tests. We also need people to go get tested when available. I think we can all agree on that. Guesses like 100,000 cases don‘t help anything. I assume it’s done to scare people into complying with suggestions. We don’t know exact numbers infected but we have China and S Korea and Italy as examples of how the disease spreads. We don’t have the official numbers but its naive to assume the disease will spread slower or less in the US. We have places who are a month or 2 ahead of us as a good idea of how things are likely to progress.

Not having enough info we can either stick our heads in the sand and assume if people aren‘t testing positive they are not infected and go on business as usual or we can assume based on evidence from other countries that way more people are actually positive but don’t know it because of lack of testing. Better to be safe than sorry. If this thing spreads beyond the point of no return we could end up with a shortage of hospital beds and ventilators. Even for people in the low risk group that’s a big problem. We all know elderly or high risk people but besides that you could have an unexpected medical emergency or be in a car accident or accident at work that requires a hospital bed, intensive care or even a ventilator.

DisneyCane

It’s only 10:30am :/
First, the "new cases" are new "confirmed" cases. These people already had it. Testing becoming available is just finding more infected people.

The time of day doesn't matter. They report in bulk after getting test results. 25 announced in the morning doesn't mean people are testing positive at a rate of 100+ per day.

There is going to be a spike in official numbers as testing is more widely available. That should be calming, not alarming. It shows how few cases were serious enough to even get tested before now.

esskay

In WDW news Virgin Atlantic / holidays are allowing customers to move trips back further into the year.

BA doing the same. Just moved mine back to September (was May) 😞

Not sure if Virgin are offering the same, but we were offered vouchers to the value of our flights for any flights within the next 12 months, or a full refund.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Japan extended their closing a few additional weeks. My gut says we won’t be in the clear by 4/1. Is there any benefit to canceling now vs waiting until closer to the date? If you have nothing to lose probably just wait and hope for a miracle :)

ImperfectPixie

As a sahm I can say I am telling everyone to "enjoy this time" sarcastically. Many people don't know what it's like to spend more than a few hours a day with their kids 🤣 Im also freaking out because since I'm pregnant, I do not have the company of wine to help me though this time 😁

I made a "fun things to do at home list" post in my Disney group...hoping to see some creative ideas.
We do need more tests. We also need people to go get tested when available. I think we can all agree on that. Guesses like 100,000 cases don‘t help anything. I assume it’s done to scare people into complying with suggestions. We don’t know exact numbers infected but we have China and S Korea and Italy as examples of how the disease spreads. We don’t have the official numbers but its naive to assume the disease will spread slower or less in the US. We have places who are a month or 2 ahead of us as a good idea of how things are likely to progress.

Not having enough info we can either stick our heads in the sand and assume if people aren‘t testing positive they are not infected and go on business as usual or we can assume based on evidence from other countries that way more people are actually positive but don’t know it because of lack of testing. Better to be safe than sorry. If this thing spreads beyond the point of no return we could end up with a shortage of hospital beds and ventilators. Even for people in the low risk group that’s a big problem. We all know elderly or high risk people but besides that you could have an unexpected medical emergency or be in a car accident or accident at work that requires a hospital bed, intensive care or even a ventilator.
Free testing is part of the bill proposed, correct? And yes - overloaded hospitals will affect far more than just those with severe symptoms from COVID-19. Hospitals will have to choose whose life to save and that's a position no one needs to be put into.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I made a "fun things to do at home list" post in my Disney group...hoping to see some creative ideas.

Free testing is part of the bill proposed, correct? And yes - overloaded hospitals will affect far more than just those with severe symptoms from COVID-19. Hospitals will have to choose whose life to save and that's a position no one needs to be put into.
Yes, free testing to all. even those without insurance.

On the upside I’ve seen they opened the first drive up testing center in Delaware. By 10:30am they had swabbed 500+ people which was more tests than the state had done since this started. NY has at least 1 drive up center and a few other states have followed. PA is still lagging behind. We need to get a move on.

21stamps

Congrats on your newest addition to the family! Add “Mommy meditation time” to your schedule for a break.. not as good as wine, but may help. ;)

21stamps

Regarding you second paragraph- This goes back to the quarantine though, or lack thereof here. People are still out.. cautious, but out. We have to trust that everyone is washing and sanitizing.. which is not a comforting thought, but it’s the only thing we can do.

Tests are supposedly coming... let’s just hope it happens as soon as possible. Then we can really see how the virus is playing out in the majority of people infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom