Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFloMagic

I’ll be very interested to see what the park crowds look like tomorrow. With the European ban, Tom Hanks, and NBA news happening within an hour I think this might be what actually drives a lot away. I know I’m already rethinking my plans this weekend.
I think this is what people should do, but I'd be surprised. I think I'm going to lay low from the tourist areas for a few weeks though. I'm still hoping for the best but am becoming more cautious as time goes on. I'm thinking the risk/reward is approaching "don't go" for me.

What I'd like to see is some hotels close (to allow deeper cleaning at remaining hotels) and nighttime shows and parades canceled. I think that's our happy medium here.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Someone may have beat me to it but these are the placards popping up at the parks and resorts as well.
BC7844FE-4AB6-46F3-A695-FDE9090F4CDA.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Tokyo have been closed so who knows.
Shanghai Disneyland is partially reopen. Not the theme park itself but some of the shopping, dining and hotel with limited hours. They said it was the first step in a phased reopening. There is no guarantee a WDW closing would be the same duration, but the partial re-opening was a little less than 45 days after closing.

Tokyo extended their closure into early April. That puts their closure around the same time frame as Shanghai.

Jwink

The alternative, people dying, isn’t ideal either. Disney or the government will need to step up and provide for their employees, but it’s bordering on irresponsible to ask employees and guests to continue to show up.
People are dying who are elderly- not necessarily young people. This virus isn’t the same as the flu but the flu kills people too. Lots of people. And nothing is banned or closed for that.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I think this is what people should do, but I'd be surprised. I think I'm going to lay low from the tourist areas for a few weeks though. I'm still hoping for the best but am becoming more cautious as time goes on. I'm thinking the risk/reward is approaching "don't go" for me.

What I'd like to see is some hotels close (to allow deeper cleaning at remaining hotels) and nighttime shows and parades canceled. I think that's our happy medium here.

Tourists are still coming onto the subway callously coughing and sneezing without covering their mouths. I say tourists because as a lifelong New Yorker, I KNOW. There’s this braincell loss that happens when a lot of people go on vacation. That’s why I still see folks going to Disney as if nothing’s happened. So long as it’s open, there will be very little change in attendance. At least, that’s my thought (even as certain shows are being heavily discounted here in the city).

DisneyCane

Here is up to date data from South Korea, which due to their mass testing that other countries will hopefully follow with is gives the most accurate picture of the disease.

1583982659068.png

*the line that says 19-Oct should say 10-19 and was formatted by excel as a date.

The picture presented by this data is that COVID-19 is essentially a non issue for people under 50. It becomes a small issue between 50 and 59 and becomes significant over 70. Interesting (which mirrors China but at a lower rate) is the fatality rate among males being over twice as high as among females. Caveat that the people under 50 can spread it to people in the high risk groups.

Looking for smoking rates, I found that "In 2016, the cigarette smoking prevalence was 40.7% among male adults and 6.4% among female adults." To actually draw a conclusion that the fatality rate is related to smoking, we'd have to see data (which I haven't seen) that was actually broken down by smokers vs. non-smokers. However, it is a reasonable theory that smoking significantly increases the risk of dying from COVID-19. It may be indirect in that the smoking has led to other medical conditions which are the direct cause of the rate increase.

Chomama

People are dying who are elderly- not necessarily young people. This virus isn’t the same as the flu but the flu kills people too. Lots of people. And nothing is banned or closed for that.
I am so sorry but I think I is becoming clear that this view is no longer valid. For the flu we have vaccines, tamiflu and established research. Unfortunately this virus is very contagious and lives on surfaces up to 3 days. Also you are likely contagious for 3-4 days before showing symptoms. Basically it is the responsibility of healthy people to avoid crowds so they can protect our neighbors with with weakened immune systems. I have no opinion on what Disney should do, but I would not care to work there at the moment. Also, if you will be homeless from not working two weeks you may be living beyond your means. I say that just as an encouragement to evaluate your finances. You should be able to miss work for emergencies and not live on the streets. Are there no less expensive housing options?

Hcalvert

We have three cases of coronavirus in Northeast Ohio (all in Cuyahoga County) and one of the people diagnosed not only is from the town my school is located but this person also entered a school in my district when infected thus exposing it to at least 1,000 adults and students. We are still not closing even though the kids are all going nuts and it is chaos at the schools. At this time, we aren't even being provided hand sanitizers and tissues and being told not to speak to concerned parents about it. :rolleyes:
Update: My school district is closing on March 17 (Ohio's primary day) for a planning session for possible on-line learning if the school is to close before and after spring break. Our spring break begins on March 23 until March 29---the time I will be at Disney. Standardized testing begins on April 1.

SoFloMagic

Also, if you will be homeless from not working two weeks you may be living beyond your means.
I think you may be surprised by how many Americans this applies to. I'd guess 30% of Americans would have trouble paying rent if they missed a full paycheck.

EDIT: I may have undershot it...

DisneyCane

I am so sorry but I think I is becoming clear that this view is no longer valid. For the flu we have vaccines, tamiflu and established research. Unfortunately this virus is very contagious and lives on surfaces up to 3 days. Also you are likely contagious for 3-4 days before showing symptoms.

The flu vaccine is only partially effective. It does not cover all flu viruses. They basically monitor the flu outbreak in China every year to see what the most prevalent strains are and make the vaccine for those. Tamiflu is not very effective. I have been told this by multiple physicians who have said "it doesn't do anything." My business partner is friends with an executive at a pharmaceutical company who told him that tamiflu is "a sham."

The survival on surfaces is why it is extremely important to sanitize surfaces. Being contagious for 3-4 days before showing symptoms was contradicted by the head of the WHO a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom