Tomorrowland new entrance

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
The new Hungry Bear sign is like the Mandalorian - completely destroys the entire nonsensical argument that Disney fans, Star Wars fans, etc. hate change - we all just want quality product. Give us well designed, thematically appropriate additions and they will be gratefully celebrated.

Yes, because the sign is a major element. Come on, you have to try harder than that.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
While all that may be true, you don’t think they can’t demo around the stairs? I mean just look at Marvel in DCA. They demo’d almost the entire land and kept only what they needed to reuse.
So they'd demo everything but the stairs (which is purpose-built for the terrace above the Magic Eye which would disappear in a demo) and be pigeonholed to design a new TL around a lonely set of stairs? It makes no sense to me. Marvel planned around using an entire building in its design, not a single set of stairs. The analogy doesn't work for me.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So they'd demo everything but the stairs (which is purpose-built for the terrace above the Magic Eye which would disappear in a demo) and be pigeonholed to design a new TL around a lonely set of stairs? It makes no sense to me. Marvel planned around using an entire building in its design, not a single set of stairs. The analogy doesn't work for me.
Stairs can be rebuilt, they are cheap. There is nothing permanent about them. In fact I would say that is more likely than them keeping the theater beyond the next TL redo.

However as I stated in my last post none of these projects give any indication of TLs future. It’s fun to discuss and debate but there is just very little information to go on.

Figments Friend

I miss the pay phones on the side of the Circlevision building.

nwl71a-b88544862z.120151021131534000gdrcmh4r.10.jpg

Ya know....

If those were still left in the hardscape, Disney could just leave them there and claim they are 'Droid footprints' from some R2 units.

I bet our ol' pal @realBobChapek would be all over that 're-theming' idea to tie this somehow into current IP marketing strategy in the Park.....

;)

-

Last edited:

TP2000

I do prefer the more open vista of the Tomorrowland of my youth. When I was a kid those trees were much smaller yet you couldn't see backstage. Here's a vintage postcard image from the 70s. Notice how elegant the two buildings appear flanking the entrance without all that overgrown foliage.

ar-dlpctomorrow032.jpg

Here's that view today from a slightly different angle. The buildings are almost completely obscured by those two massive trees. Even the Astro Orbiter is dwarfed by them.

sx8uu77

Those overgrown and ratty looking ficus trees have bugged me for at least 15 years. For me, this is just like the Rivers of America rerouting where they tore out that giant wall of green that just looked past its prime. It's often a good thing to remove overgrown trees that have entirely dwarfed their adjacent buildings and ruined the scale of things, whether its at a house or a theme park.

Those ratty ficus trees just need to be removed and replaced with something better looking. It's just comical at this point how out of scale they are and how they ruin the sightlines that Imagineering designed for the space.

IMG_4060-1.jpg

Compared to this sleeker and more purposeful aesthetic...

048341602f1a2afe8956767d387909cc.jpg

Haven't you heard?

It's TABOO now to call him 'Baby Yoda', dude!
We are being told by the series makers that we have to call him 'The Child' now.

I can't tell, are you joking? Please tell me you are joking about that.

D

Deleted member 107043

Those ratty ficus trees just need to be removed and replaced with something better looking. It's just comical at this point how out of scale they are and how they ruin the sightlines that Imagineering designed for the space.

THANK YOU for finding and posting those excellent before/after shots.

No, it's true. Baby Yoda is the nickname fans gave it. It's been confirmed now that the creature is in fact not Yoda.

Figments Friend

I can't tell, are you joking?
Please tell me you are joking about that.

Nope.
You must have missed the story circulating online about that.
Couple of weeks ago, i think it was.....
One of the creators of the show was upset fans kept referring to the little green guy as 'Baby Yoda' and not 'The Child'.

Lemme see if I can find it....
( runs off to search Google )

Found it.
This version from ScreenRant.
USA Today also ran a similar take, along with multiple social media websites.

Yes, it's a crazy ol' Small World we live in.

:)

-

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

No, it's true. Baby Yoda is the nickname fans gave it. It's been confirmed now that the creature is in fact not Yoda.
I don't think anyone in the know actually thought the baby was Yoda, the Mandalorian takes place 5 years after the actual Yoda died. And it's not exactly like the series is subtle that it takes place after ROTJ.

The nickname doesn't come from some confusion that the Baby was actually Yoda in the Star Wars fandom, but the fact that Yoda's species doesn't have a name (George Lucas banned EU writers from giving details on Yoda's species before the buyout), the official name "The Child" being VERY generic, and Baby Yoda (again what else do you call it without being generic?) already caught on by the time it was first mentioned in the second episode.

Disney Analyst

Those overgrown and ratty looking ficus trees have bugged me for at least 15 years. For me, this is just like the Rivers of America rerouting where they tore out that giant wall of green that just looked past its prime. It's often a good thing to remove overgrown trees that have entirely dwarfed their adjacent buildings and ruined the scale of things, whether its at a house or a theme park.

IMG_4060-1.jpg

Compared to this sleeker and more purposeful aesthetic...

048341602f1a2afe8956767d387909cc.jpg

Couldn’t put my finger on what makes the Tomorrowland entrance look so claustrophobic still. It’s those damn trees! They have got to go!

TP2000

THANK YOU for finding and posting those excellent before/after shots.

My pleasure Hans. Again, those overgrown monsters have looked like crap for years and bug me every time I walk into Tomorrowland. Every time.

Back in the mid 90's I remember they had New Tomorrowland artwork on display before they started construction in 1997, and the ficus were trimmed back and had spacey light fixtures placed around them. Like so many things about New Tomorrowland, Paul Pressler obviously cut the ficus upgrades from the budget faster than you can say Rocket Rods.

c40c9f4756662a9cea915b8e9bac1781.jpg

Sometimes I think we should all hire a sleazy lawyer and file a Class Action lawsuit against Disney when they let cheapskates like Pressler or Mr. Chapek cut the budget so much that the end result looks almost nothing like the published artwork.

But at this point, almost 25 years after that artwork above was released, the Tomorrowland ficus trees have gone past the point of no return.

They need to be ripped out and replaced with new yet mature trees that are half their size, if not a third their size.

Ismael Flores

I do prefer the more open vista of the Tomorrowland of my youth. When I was a kid those trees were much smaller yet you couldn't see backstage. Here's a vintage postcard image from the 70s. Notice how elegant the two buildings appear flanking the entrance without all that overgrown foliage.

ar-dlpctomorrow032.jpg

Here's that view today from a slightly different angle. The buildings are almost completely obscured by those two massive trees. Even the Astro Orbiter is dwarfed by them.

sx8uu77

I really hope they didn't cut down those trees, A good pruning would work just fine or if they are putting smaller trees then hopefully they transplanted these. Those trees are old and still quite healthy it would be sad for them to end up as mulch

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

I think you guys may get a chuckle out of this:

I saw those and noticed the large panel was in the wrong location and walked away. Then it hit me and somehow it annoys me and want to climb up there and move them around. LOL

someone obviously doesn't know how to do puzzles or paint by number. I am sure those panels are numbered for placement

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom