News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There's only one main terminal station, it seems.

I'm glad there's consideration of it. When I worked monorails, that was one focus I had was the safety of my wheelchair guests.

You changed "terminal station" to "main terminal station"... why?

There are three separate "ropes" which means 6 terminal stations, and it seems each terminal station will have an extra wheel for slow loading.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Care to elaborate on this? Diagram or something?

Red is the fast rope. When a gondola comes in, it unhooks from the fast rope to slow rollers, either the green or the purple. They can alternate between the green and purple giving everyone twice the amount of time as if there was only one slow roller, or, they can use purple to pull a gondola out of rotation and come to a dead stop for special loading.

1530767418766.png

nace888

Red is the fast rope. When a gondola comes in, it unhooks from the fast rope to slow rollers, either the green or the purple. They can alternate between the green and purple giving everyone twice the amount of time as if there was only one slow roller, or, they can use purple to pull a gondola out of rotation and come to a dead stop for special loading.

View attachment 294077
Thanks! This is how they've been installed?

nickys

Premium Member

1.So you read the first 50 pages, which cover the story of how it was all deduced and pieced together in the first place (and kudos again to them). :)

2. Read on a bit further until the arguments over air con start.

3. Then search for @The Mom’s post stopping the arguments!

4. Then there was some good stuff about the theming of the stations from @marni1971.

5. Then it was all announced at D23. At that point, the discussion went back to the beginning, as lots of new people joined in and asked all the same questions again... and again.... and again.

6. So then you can look for @Lift Blog coming into the thread and explaining the technical stuff.

7. And then the construction pictures started.

Skip the endless (but sometimes entertaining) discussion over 101 ways to die in a gondola.

Footnote: step 5 happens at frequent intervals throughout. Not the D23 announcement, but the rest.

TiggerDad

1.So you read the first 50 pages, which cover the story of how it was all deduced and pieced together in the first place (and kudos again to them). :)
If you really want to see how it started, go to the DHS Permits thread: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/goto/post?id=7576915
An interesting modification to the original drainage permit for the DHS projects has been filed with the South Florida Water Management District.

The dotted yellow lines in the first image show the new work areas in this permit. The top one circled if blue will be covered in gravel and become a new laydown yard for construction staging. The one circled in blue at the bottom will also be covered in gravel so will probably be a new construction entrance. The two small areas by CBR are just small changes for runoff control.

The other two areas are more interesting. The both involve the modification of existing bodies of water and the construction of new buildings. The second and third images show the details of these, the red one is first, followed by the green one.
View attachment 189463

View attachment 189461

View attachment 189462

winstongator

You don't need the lap bar on a ski lift. It's like a swing on a playground. You don't fall off the swing. When skiing, the main reason I use them is for the foot rests.

The only real added danger from a lift (and I guess Gondola also) is getting on and off. With a lift, you can catch your ski or board tip or have somebody crash into you as they get off.

I don't know if Disney will but if you do a moving walkway like an omnimover, then you remove that minute danger pretty much as well. At WDW, there is far more danger of being on a bus that gets into an accident than anything happening on a Gondola. There's probably more danger of being run over by a stroller and tearing a knee ligament.
If I went to tie my shoes on the lift, I could easily have fallen out. My daughter was more concerned. It would not have felt good from the heights we were at.

Definitely more danger getting off lifts. I twisted my ankle on my one snowboarding trip.

Lensman

Close enough. I know it's long, but I suggest reading this whole thread, or, at least jump to where the construction pictures start.
+1 for starting at the construction pictures. You won't miss the endless discussions of AC, lightning, and acrophobia that repeat every 10-20 pages.

@danlb_2000's first post in the thread is a good summary and has links to important spots in the thread.

Lensman

Christmas on a cracker. Ok, let me put it this way: It's a butter battle book. Their way or the highway. Forgive me if I think there's room for two lanes.
The first 2-3 people who posted saying that they or someone they knew would uniquely have issues riding the gondola probably did have a unique perspective, but after that it becomes repetitive. Here's what we don't need at this point:
1. Further posts on how someone would never ride the gondola because of their acrophobia or claustrophobia.
2. Further posts on how someone thinks its unacceptable that the gondola doesn't have AC.
3. Further posts on how someone thinks Disney is reckless in running the gondola in the middle of a lightning storm.

We don't need them because they are repetitive and won't further the discussion, not because no one wants to hear that perspective. We've all heard that perspective every month for the past year and a half. :)

It's gotten so bad that not only do we have repetitive posting of the same issue, but I've even started to get tired of the repetitive complaining about the repetitive posting. Now we have a new development of in the defense of the repetitive posting! Actually, I'm pretty sure you're not defending the repetitiveness but you've merely misunderstood what @TiggerDad meant. Or @TiggerDad wasn't clear in his post. Well, or @TiggerDad and I have different complaints about the repetitive posts. :)

And yes, I'm aware of the irony that I'm adding to the problem by participating in what is bound to be repetitive discussion of the repetitive objection to the repetitive complaining about the posts repetitively complaining about gondola issues, both real and imagined.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

2. Read on a bit further until the arguments over air con start.

3. Then search for @The Mom’s post stopping the arguments!

4. Then there was some good stuff about the theming of the stations from @marni1971.

5. Then it was all announced at D23. At that point, the discussion went back to the beginning, as lots of new people joined in and asked all the same questions again... and again.... and again.

6. So then you can look for @Lift Blog coming into the thread and explaining the technical stuff.

7. And then the construction pictures started.

Skip the endless (but sometimes entertaining) discussion over 101 ways to die in a gondola.

Footnote: step 5 happens at frequent intervals throughout. Not the D23 announcement, but the rest.
I believe we are now at 102 ways to die once the concept of suicidal leaping became something to think about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom