Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

JessieLightyear

Perks are what make being an AP worth it. This is probably the final straw for my AP status. WDW just doesn't seem to care about APs compared to Disneyland

They are doing an exclusive Toy Story Land event for APs in September (which @MisterPenguin beat me to sharing I see 😊). You don’t get to pick and choose your perks at the time that works best. Not everything will be convenient for everyone.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Perks are what make being an AP worth it. This is probably the final straw for my AP status. WDW just doesn't seem to care about APs compared to Disneyland

So, what would you propose they do? Should the opening of the land be delayed so you can have an AP preview? If construction isn’t complete, it cannot be opened. It’s a pretty simple concept.

I was able to experience the land yesterday as part of the cast previews.

The land itself
As they have been advertising, the entire land looks like the queue of Toy Story Mania but brought outside. There is plenty of detail to look at throughout the land including a very nice look into Star Wars Land. The biggest issue is that it will be very hot once you are inside. There is almost no shade and it gets hot very quickly. Hopefully they address this before opening officially. It was also odd that there was no official store but rather just two random carts placed in a few spots. I feel like they needed at least one more ride not including Toy Story Mania to really complete this land better.

Alien Swirling Saucers
I feel like this will be a very popular ride. The music while riding is nice to listen too. In total, the whole ride lasts about a minutes and a half and is a little to short for my liking. It is a good thing they built two ride areas so the waits shouldn’t get to crazy after they initial craze dies down. Once again there is no air conditiong and it will be very hot while waiting for the ride.

Slinky Dog Dash
This was much more thrilling than I would expect it to be. It is more thrilling than Seven Dwarves with significantly longer coaster portions. Overall it’s a good ride, but again is at least 30 seconds short in my opinion. Towards the end offers a really awesome look at the entirety of Star Wars Land. My biggest struggle concern is the queue. There is no ac and most of the queue is outdoors. While there are a couple of fans here and there it is not enough to start getting hot very quickly.

Cast members were unable to see into the new Toy Story Mania queue or try the new snack location while I was there so I can’t comment on that besides saying both looked nice while walking around the land.

Casper Gutman

So, what would you propose they do? Should the opening of the land be delayed so you can have an AP preview? If construction isn’t complete, it cannot be opened. It’s a pretty simple concept.
Yes, this is completely beyond Disney’s control. It certainly isn’t an example of a pattern in which Disney removes AP perks and charges exorbitant fees for things that used to be included in an AP. Please ignore the Pixar Pier opening.

Just remember, when bad things happen, they are always beyond Disney’s control.

Zipadeelady

Got to experience the full land today. I reiterate my original opinion that it's a cute and fun land that families will really enjoy. However I wouldn't spend too much time in it, personally. Rode SDD again which is quickly becoming a great ride, again way better than 7DMT. We rode in the back both timed and it's definitely more fun there.

I found Aliens to be entirely forgettable and I'm glad I am glad I rode it with no wait at all. It's a cute ride but meh. Im also shocked at the lack of shade in the land, there literally none. Whoever designed this land has clearly never set foot in Florida in the summer. I hope this issues is addressed and soon. Overall I think it'll be a fun time for the target audience but I'm content having experienced it during this preview phase.
How did you get to see the land? Are you a CM or did they open the land early?

Castle Cake Apologist

They are doing an exclusive Toy Story Land event for APs in September (which @MisterPenguin beat me to sharing I see 😊). You don’t get to pick and choose your perks at the time that works best. Not everything will be convenient for everyone.

Is it really a perk to finally get to experience it three months after everybody else? The entire appeal of AP previews was in getting early access... But now they charge $300 for that privilege.

Jones14

Is it really a perk to finally get to experience it three months after everybody else? The entire appeal of AP previews was in getting early access... But now they charge $300 for that privilege.
If they’re anything like the Pandora previews, you’ll get five minute waits for all the rides and a practically empty land. That’s a perk no matter when it opens.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is what happens when you give people things... and then they come to EXPECT it and get upset if they don't get it.

Face it... the AP previews of the past were a convenience for Disney. A way to get the trial time it needed, while also blowing some kisses to their AP holders. But the real spark was the needing to shake down the attraction/etc. Doing it as an AP event makes it so you can 'look good doing it'. Now, APs want to cancel their pass because they don't get their exclusive preview? How fitting.

In case you haven't figured it out, switching these kinds of previews to monetized or marketed events has already been going on for awhile. I really don't think this is just about construction schedules. You're seeing a change in approach... where the AP event moves down the priority ladder.

Casper Gutman

This is what happens when you give people things... and then they come to EXPECT it and get upset if they don't get it.

Man, I hate those greedy, ungrateful guests. Just because they pay increasingly insane amounts for APs, they expect Disney not to cut benefits! Poor altruistic Disney generously GIVES these people things (in exchange for a measly 900 dollars or so) and the swine get mad when they get less for their money! And the grasping fools even dare to consider not giving Disney more cash!

mm52200

WDW hasn’t done anything like that with their previews...they had free AP previews for Pandora right?
Toy Story Land just wasn’t going to be ready in time, that’s that. It was semi ready to let cast members have some previews but that’s it. Disney didn’t intentionally remove AP previews so they could charge you for them, just unfortunately, things happen sometimes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Man, I hate those greedy, ungrateful guests. Just because they pay increasingly insane amounts for APs, they expect Disney not to cut benefits! Poor altruistic Disney generously GIVES these people things (in exchange for a measly 900 dollars or so) and the swine get mad when they get less for their money! And the grasping fools even dare to consider not giving Disney more cash!

Really that's the best you got? Last I checked the main thing driving the value prop of the AP is the amount of admissions followed by the discount programs... It's not a loyalty program, it's not a 'gold card' perk. Disney doesn't advertise, nor lure anyone in with 'exclusive previews' to sell Annual Passes.

Casper Gutman

Really that's the best you got? Last I checked the main thing driving the value prop of the AP is the amount of admissions followed by the discount programs... It's not a loyalty program, it's not a 'gold card' perk. Disney doesn't advertise, nor lure anyone in with 'exclusive previews' to sell Annual Passes.
You are attacking guests who object to getting fewer perks while being asked to pay more. It is entirely possible that, despite price increases and diminished benefits, an AP still makes sense for you. But don’t insinuate that people that weigh an APs value differently are suffering from some unreasonable sense of entitlement

Also, haven’t the discounts in the discount program diminished recently?

flynnibus

Premium Member
You are attacking guests who object to getting fewer perks while being asked to pay more. It is entirely possible that, despite price increases and diminished benefits, an AP still makes sense for you. But don’t insinuate that people that weigh an APs value differently are suffering from some unreasonable sense of entitlement

You can value whatever you want.... you can’t however decide what the program is on your own. To believe so is a reality disconnect.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
WDW hasn’t done anything like that with their previews...they had free AP previews for Pandora right?

Yes. There was no upcharge to see Pandora previewed, nor RoL, nor TSL. WDW does however do a lot of special access tours and hard ticket events, but not for previews.

DL/DCA did one night upcharge for Mission Breakout and one night for Pixar Pier.

So..... charging for previews really isn't a thing that Disney does, and even then, only in Anaheim, and even then, only one night.

So far.

rioriz

Definitely a perk especially for Silver AP as they cant go in the Summer and that is most of my friends. I have a Gold as im greedy!

Unbanshee

I propose they come up with an opening date that isn't rushed. Additionally, they could let APs in now to help test and adjust. Hell, Flight of Passage wasn't operating 100% during the AP previews, but they let us in anyway. It's about feeling valued, getting a sneak peek, early access. I think Disney put out a date that was way too ambitious and they fell behind in construction. I think they're also trying to control the message (to a certain extent), by letting pixie dust Cast Members into the land and not people with actual opinions

Unbanshee

Toy Story Land just wasn’t going to be ready in time, that’s that. It was semi ready to let cast members have some previews but that’s it. Disney didn’t intentionally remove AP previews so they could charge you for them, just unfortunately, things happen sometimes.

Pandora wasn't ready in time either. Flight of Passage had huge reliability issues and the land wasn't 100% done. I think that Disney just doesn't care as much about APs. Giving them "exclusive access" at a time of year that is traditionally slower (read, less income, more need to get people into the parks), is hardly done generously.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I propose they come up with an opening date that isn't rushed. Additionally, they could let APs in now to help test and adjust. Hell, Flight of Passage wasn't operating 100% during the AP previews, but they let us in anyway. It's about feeling valued, getting a sneak peek, early access. I think Disney put out a date that was way too ambitious and they fell behind in construction. I think they're also trying to control the message (to a certain extent), by letting pixie dust Cast Members into the land and not people with actual opinions

Sounds more like you're feeling 'entitled'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom