A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

bclane

He directed an episode of The Orville as well
Oh wow I didn’t know that. But after reading your post I just looked it up and it was the one with Charlize Theron. That was one of my favorite episodes! Frakes is great as a director. I hope he does more for both shows.

smile

Which causes serious concerns about their state of mind...alert the UN

we differ here, as i think if you can overlook anakin and jar jar in tpm, anakin and padme in aotc, and NOOOO in rots, there is some truly rockin star wars going on... lol... but not really, as diamonds lie within.

wouldn't have chosen the same approach to the arc for the prequels, and he certainly had the potential to manufacture cringe like few others, but i remind myself what a gamble star wars was in that regard when he was making anh, as even most of the crew didn't know what on earth he was trying to accomplish with his funky oddball characters saying funky oddball things.

not sure i ever though that way and appreciated george as much prior to seeing tfa and deeply feeling his absence - an occurance i did not anticipate, as i thought that, while he had regained some groove by the time it was done, some damage was done....... but i realized that, to me, there's a certain seriousness to the subject matter and deft of craft and storytelling from george that i've barely sniffed from jj or rian, and vaguely glimpsed at moments of from gareth.

sure, he had softened and drifted a bit coming into tpm, but he reacted and adapted throughout the remaining two movies; not that it was always successful, but i'll never forget when padme interuppted jar jar and dismissed him outright at the beginning of aotc and i heard, "you're right guys, he sucks. my bad" ... kinda like when rian had kylo ditch his helmet and trash his room again, but it felt more trollish towards what had come before, whereas i feel george took the elegant route dismissing jar jar flatly then later making him one of the biggest follies of all time storywise in rots.

maybe i give him too much leeway, but, thus far, it appears true star wars MAGIC is far harder to replicate without his involvement than i had ever assumed.

EDIT: you are right tho, actually preferring the prequels over the ot is... questionable.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
we differ here, as i think if you can overlook anakin and jar jar in tpm, anakin and padme in aotc, and NOOOO in rots, there is some truly rockin star wars going on... lol... but not really, as diamonds lie within.

wouldn't have chosen the same approach to the arc for the prequels, and he certainly had the potential to manufacture cringe like few others, but i remind myself what a gamble star wars was in that regard when he was making anh, as even most of the crew didn't know what on earth he was trying to accomplish with his funky oddball characters saying funky oddball things.

not sure i ever though that way and appreciated george as much prior to seeing tfa and deeply feeling his absence - an occurance i did not anticipate, as i thought that, while he had regained some groove by the time it was done, some damage was done....... but i realized that, to me, there's a certain seriousness to the subject matter and deft of craft and storytelling from george that i've barely sniffed from jj or rian, and vaguely glimpsed at moments of from gareth.

sure, he had softened and drifted a bit coming into tpm, but he reacted and adapted throughout the remaining two movies; not that it was always successful, but i'll never forget when padme interuppted jar jar and dismissed him outright at the beginning of aotc and i heard, "you're right guys, he sucks. my bad" ... kinda like when rian had kylo ditch his helmet and trash his room again, but it felt more trollish towards what had come before, whereas i feel george took the elegant route dismissing jar jar flatly then later making him one of the biggest follies of all time storywise in rots.

maybe i give him too much leeway, but, thus far, it appears true star wars MAGIC is far harder to replicate without his involvement than i had ever assumed.

EDIT: you are right tho, actually preferring the prequels over the ot is... questionable.

...hold on...I haven't gotten through your list of things to overlook yet...

smile

hah!
my ladder bridge was losing rungs as i was attempting to explain why 50% of a good movie is better than 5%, but i forged ahead regardless.
:joyfull:

FigmentJedi

Which causes serious concerns about their state of mind...alert the UN

The Prequels were their primary introduction to Star Wars and, dubs obviously covering up some of the line readings aside, they have a pretty strong wuxia quality to it that they would find more appealing then the combat in some of the other films.

It's almost like the ST's "Let's kill the Jedi Order off again" thing was a bad idea.

smile

The Prequels were their primary introduction to Star Wars and, dubs obviously covering up some of the line readings aside, they have a pretty strong wuxia quality to it that they would find more appealing then the combat in some of the other films.

It's almost like the ST's "Let's kill the Jedi Order off again" thing was a bad idea.

short, sweet, salient sentences

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Or, you know, Chinese audiences already have their “Star Wars” in the MCU.

Is genetic experimentation on dinosaurs big in china?

How about protecting alien fauna from
Government/corporatist takeover and exploitation?

That seems like a real hit with the Chinese government, huh?

The excuses for the performance of this movie...chinese and at home...are getting more the stuff of fiction each day.

AEfx

Is genetic experimentation on dinosaurs big in china?

How about protecting alien fauna from
Government/corporatist takeover and exploitation?

That seems like a real hit with the Chinese government, huh?

The excuses for the performance of this movie...chinese and at home...are getting more the stuff of fiction each day.

I put this in the TLJ thread in the other forum, but I actually think that TLJ in China is in part due to the overall market volitility in China, and how it is starting to evolve - and not in the way Western media companies thought.

To be honest, that is why I think it's more than just a Star Wars problem. Reading the pundits (even at "reputable" business sites) kind of poo-pooing the significance of TLJ's performance with the "well, SW was never big in China" thing is really...odd to me. Yes, traditionally it wasn't as popular, but then you have TFA to use as a barometer. And from the accounts I have seen thus far, they pushed TLJ just as hard if not harder than they did TFA in China. So the excuse doesn't make much sense, since the drop off from TFA to TLJ is so severe, and doesn't have any of the excuses it might elsewhere (nostalgia boost for the last film, etc).

While some would say "oh, they are just kissing Disney's behind..." by trying to diminish the significance of the Chinese performance, I don't think it's really that - it's much deeper (and more self-serving). These same pundits have been the ones for several years now proclaiming that China is the future of Hollywood - that somehow they were the solution to the mess Hollywood is in (more movies lose money or break even than make money, it's just that the biggest movies make a lot of money to "make up" for it, which is why things are they way they are).

Basically, Western media assumed that China was just sitting there ready to scoff up our product, much like the rest of the world has. I think we are going to find out that was mistaken, for two reasons. One, culturally, of course - while in the Western world we think everyone in a country that has been ruled like China is just itching for the values of capitalism, democracy, etc. - that's just not always the case.

Two, they severely underestimated China's own ability to produce films. Lots of countries make their own films, but let's face it - American/Western cinema rules in almost all cases. In fact, many countries have to have specific rules and limitations on our films playing there versus domestic films because people in so many places are so hungry for our content that they artificially keep the local films afloat as best they can. In China, they have the money and infrastructure to actually compete, and obviously can cater the films directly to their intended audience.

Wanna know something funny? The film that is totally trouncing TLJ right now, the romantic comedy "The Ex-Files 3", is subtitled, "Return of the Exes". And the last one was, "The Ex-Files 2: The Backup Strikes Back". I mean...come on - if scheduling the third film to be released the week before TLJ wasn't an intentional middle finger to Hollywood, it is a striking coincidence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom