Disney settles lawsuit with woman who fell on Pirates of Caribbean ride

jaklgreen

Maybe she can sue the shoe company that she was wearing next. They obviously caused her to slip when they came in contact with water. Or how about the manufacturer of the boats,they should have a rubber bottom,oh wait. Disney needs to stop paying settlements to everyone that sues them over nonsense.

Pixieish

Maybe she can sue the shoe company that she was wearing next. They obviously caused her to slip when they came in contact with water. Or how about the manufacturer of the boats,they should have a rubber bottom,oh wait. Disney needs to stop paying settlements to everyone that sues them over nonsense.
AMEN. Unfortunately we seem to have a ton of judges sitting at the bench who refuse to throw out cases based on idiocy.

NearTheEars

It’s tough. I’m not a fan of lawsuits, but it does sound like she suffered some injuries, and even underwent a surgery. Now, was any of that a pre-existing condition? We’ll never know. Really not sure what I would do in a similar situation if I got hurt.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You're getting into a boat. That's on water. Somehow I think you might come in contact with that water. And should be careful. I agree with @jaklgreen...it's the shoes, more likely. I've gotten into those boats dozens of times and have never slipped once. What's next, you're gonna sue because it rained and you slipped since Disney didn't immediately mop up Main Street and put out one of those yellow signs?

What a croc. Lemme guess - her attorney is with Morgan and Morgan....

WDWVolFan

Brad Bishop

Please God, make me slip at Disney one time. :devilish:

I actually have slipped at Disney and it was entirely their fault.

It was at one of the value resorts and they were mopping the outside level I was on with some pretty soapy water. I came out and fell flat on my back. It took me a moment to stand back up because it was that slippery (think: getting up on ice). The two women cleaning the floor came over immediately and asked if I was OK and even seem to urge me to go talk to someone (I'm assuming this was sort of for legal reasons like if they could nip this in the bud).

The problem was: I fell down. I wasn't injured. I may have had a bruise but, you know what, I sometimes get bruises. I declined their offer. They offered again and again. I finally told them, "I appreciate it, but I'm really fine. I just slipped. This is not a big deal. You won't hear from me again." Then they let me go.

Sometimes stuff happens. Not everything has to be a lawsuit / litigated.

John park hopper

It was at one of the value resorts and they were mopping the outside level I was on with some pretty soapy water. I came out and fell flat on my back. It took me a moment to stand back up because it was that slippery (think: getting up on ice). The two women cleaning the floor came over immediately and asked if I was OK and even seem to urge me to go talk to someone (I'm assuming this was sort of for legal reasons like if they could nip this in the bud).

The problem was: I fell down. I wasn't injured. I may have had a bruise but, you know what, I sometimes get bruises. I declined their offer. They offered again and again. I finally told them, "I appreciate it, but I'm really fine. I just slipped. This is not a big deal. You won't hear from me again." Then they let me go.

The difference is you are honest, unfortunately there are many who are not and looking for a undeserved pay out.

Weather_Lady

If this woman's counsel's representation is correct (I'm an attorney myself, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt) that the woman is looking at over $300K in future medical expenses as a result of this fall, then I can't blame her for going after the "deep pocket" in this incident. That amount -- even half that amount -- would bankrupt a lot of families. I know it seems silly that a simple fall could have caused so much damage, but it can and does happen in rare cases.

If she just got banged up and tried to take advantage of the situation, I'd be judgmental of that. I have injured myself at Disney but didn't report it or sue because I felt I was partially to blame for not looking where I was going, and because my injuries were nothing more than scrapes, bruises and injured pride. However, if I had a loved one who sustained catastrophic injuries and was going to be permanently partially disabled as the result of a slip-and-fall on property owned by a multi-billion-dollar corporation, I'd advise them to sue, too.

Last edited:

Pixieish

AMEN. It's really a shame that so many people look for excuses to sue.

As much as I am aware that sometimes an injury can lead to ongoing pain (I speak from experience), her doctor's diagnosis screams bull to me. "Complex regional pain syndrome" to me translates to "I have no idea why or where, but she claims she's in pain".

Weather_Lady

AMEN. It's really a shame that so many people look for excuses to sue.

As much as I am aware that sometimes an injury can lead to ongoing pain (I speak from experience), her doctor's diagnosis screams bull to me. "Complex regional pain syndrome" to me translates to "I have no idea why or where, but she claims she's in pain".

Please Google it. It's a thing. I'm not saying that the plaintiff in the POTC case had it, but it's not something her doctor invented, and for those who have it, it's serious, gets prodigiously worse, and is typically debilitating and incurable.

It often arises after an injury to a limb, which is what is alleged to have occurred here, and gets gradually but inexorably more severe, which is consistent with her not going to the hospital immediately. If there was any appreciable evidence that this is what the plaintiff had, I understand why Disney (or rather, Disney's insurance carrier, who is the real party in interest here) would have wanted to settle.

Last edited:

Pixieish

Google it. It's a thing. I'm not saying that the plaintiff in the POTC case had it, but it's not something her doctor invented, and for those who have it, it's serious, gets prodigiously worse, and is typically debilitating and incurable.

My bad. But I wish whoever originally named it chose something else, because it sounds like garbage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom