The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

Cesar, I think it was more wishful thinking on @MySmallWorldof4 's part, that a very large plane should have parachutes. ;) I thought it was a great idea, even though it would never happen on a larger plane. :) My guess is she was referring to something like this one--

p01nw79c.jpg

Although, according to this article from the BBC, some aviation science geeks came up with a formula for the larger planes--21 parachutes. Link below--interesting reading:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20131223-should-planes-have-parachutes
I think this part sums it up.

the Airbus A380, can carry up to 853 people, and weighs nearly 400 times as much as a small personal aircraft. And that doesn’t include passengers and luggage. “Any parachute system [on an Airbus] would have to be very large indeed and comprise multiple canopies,” says Alizee Genilloud, a media relations manager at Airbus. “The system would be complex, bulky and heavy and require multiple safety devices to make unintentional deployment impossible.”

Still, if you were to build a parachute system that could carry a larger plane, what would it take?

To safely bring down a big commercial airliner such as a Boeing 747 with about 500 people on board, there would have to be 21 parachutes each the size of a football field, says Popov. “It takes about a square foot (0.1sq m) of material to bring down one pound (0.5kg) of aircraft.”
I remember seeing a technique where the entire plane is ditched except for the core area where the people are sitting down.
But that would add way more points of failure to the plane (specially for metal fatigue)

MySmallWorldof4

We always eat at least once at Mary Ann's Diner in Urbana IL around the corner from where my DD Dorm was when we visit.
The lady that runs it is no nonsense and actually is kinda scary but efficient. The food is plentiful, the decor is beyond basic. The food is cheap but it is 24/7 and the later in the evening and late into the night the food cost rise. They also have the best shakes but rarely had as we hit breakfast in the morning hours vs overnight.
348s.jpg
o.jpg

348s.jpg
Those are amazing prices! So much cheaper than our local Perkins where the food is bleh.

MySmallWorldof4

James is driving me nuts with his Rubik's cube. The new thing is trying to finish it the fastest. Beats fidget spinners?:confused::banghead:
My ds built a Lego Rubik's cube solver. It actually works. :eek:He also has the snake, the pyramid, ones that are 9x1, etc. He wanted every type of those puzzles one year.:rolleyes: Can't complain about it though. At least it made him think.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom