The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I love a bargain as well. The last couple times I went grocery shopping my regular store didn't have its quick sale meat bin out but this Saturday it was out. It was a highlight of the day. My niece was with and I think she thought I was a little crazy but then again when doesn't she!

I do the quick sale meat too, more in the winter when I make more soups, goulashes and stews. I can take that meat home and dissect it for specific meals and freeze. I try and keep the carbs down and proteins up and lots of veggies over the winter. Summer I give myself more slack, as I am on my bike or walking a great deal. Winter my goal is 10-15000 steps. Summer I am averaging 20-22,000 steps that doesn't include my biking either so I can be a little bad over the warmer months. I'll buy brats and ribs, things like that I don't normally do in the winter. But in the summer I also can snack on fresh veggies all day, today I was popp'n over sized cherry tomatoes in my mouth all day. Slurp. :hungry:

Gabe1

Exactly. People don't tend to stare directly at a normal sun high in the sky (which would also, obviously, do a bunch of eye damage), as we see it like that (mostly) on a regular basis (other than sunrises and sunsets - although I believe that that sunlight is filtered to a good degree by the earths atmosphere/curvature of the earth combination at that point). But, an eclipse is, obviously, a special event that people tend to want to "see".

Well that is somewhat true. Some people have the intelligence not to stand on a balcony and look at the solar eclipse. Others not so much. Our commander in chief comes to mind today. Some people tend to stare at the Sun despite themselves.

Gabe1

Well, actually........................Behold Cauliflower Steak! ;)
View attachment 224253

http://thewimpyvegetarian.com/2015/...s-sicilian-style-sundaysupper-mcskilletsauce/

INGREDIENTS
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Rub the cauliflower surfaces with 1 Tbsp olive oil and McCormick's Perfect Pinch spices. Add 1 Tbsp oil to the skillet and heat up over medium-high heat. When hot, add the cauliflower. Sear for 2 minutes each side, and add the orange juice, scraping up any bits on the skillet. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the steaks are soft enough to insert a knife into. Remove to a plate and tent with foil.
  2. Add the final Tbsp oil to the pan and add the red peppers. Sauté until lightly charred and beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the onion, raisins, and capers. Sauté until softened, about 15 minutes. Add the Sicilian Skillet Sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer. Pour over the cauliflower steaks.
  3. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.

This looks beyond awesome. Any idea the calorie count/fat of the McCormick liquid pouch. I'm going to try this soon, cauliflower is so nice right now.

Cesar R M

LOL - but Bugs Bunny would love a cauliflower steak. ;)
FyDrU44.gif

Gabe1

Well the room costs the same with or without you, doesn't it? So if they are paying for it anyway, I would assume they don't need that contribution.

That has always been my thought with my kids. I just can't take money from them when we go out to a restaurant either. Airfare or APs at this point of their life, well a different story.

Gabe1

It won't be visible where I am. :( My brother might be able to see it. The town the mentioned on the news here, Glendo, is not far from where I grew up (by Wyoming standards anyway). They said the population of Wyoming will double for the eclipse.

Invited to a camera shop today. I saw it here and there between the cloud cover breaking. In one of the breaks I saw it in full red from a telescope. It was really cool with the glasses and telescopes they had. For about 5 minutes. My attention span for this type of stuff. I want to experience it, for four hours, not so much. They had their 4 month old puppy outside the camera shop. Guess where most of my attention was??? Also the Eclipse black and white brownies were awesome too.

Gabe1

Not only did the bully girl not move, her seat is to the left right behind my son. She'd better not pull anything. He has a substitute teacher for a while because the regular teacher's mother died a few weeks ago and her MIL died last week. So she's not starting off the school with them and I don't know the substitute. I hope she's strict and pays attention like the regular teacher does! (DD had her last year, so I know she doesn't put up with anything.)

Oy.

Sorry :( Too good of a rumor to be true.

Gabe1

Overall impression of Pandora...meh. Carsland, I think, is better. I was not a fan of the boatride. It was actually boring. If it had a story to it, it would be more interesting, but there's not.

I haven't tried the QS place yet, so again, reserving judgement.
In your opinion, boat ride or Rivers of Light, better worse?

Gabe1

I officially hate Nascar. I found out why the farm market Friday was a bit of a bust. Besides the awful weather it seems a couple of vendors had orders from people stocking up for the race over the weekend(we're close enough some people rent RVs and make a weekend of it) and some had orders in for their eclipse parties.

Yep my friends next door were drag racers. They and their friends had their own motor homes and that is how all weekends during summer fall were spent. They all as friends/circle had their food, liquor duties for the weekend including for those with good ones, farmers market. I didn't understand the draw to sleeping at the same track weekend after weekend as 'fun' but they sure loved it.

Goofyernmost

Actually I know you are teasing, at least a bit....shoes are one thing we have always invested in. I walk a great deal and spent both of my careers mostly on my feet all day. Now age...I need even more support. Retail my gyms are $160-170 a pair but I wear them every day. Sometimes I have to brand new pair then they last 2x as long lol. Usually about 5-6 months. Both of my kids seem to have foot issues, that is their Dad's family present from their gene pool. So kids always had higher end shoes too, still do even though they buy their own 'thank goodness' now.

I am a quality buyer of things from furniture to clothing to shoes. I am also a bargain shopper. I can usually wait it out and find my $170 gyms on clearance when the latest new style launches. So maybe $99-$120. I bought a $250 pair of Cole Haan ballet slipper dress shoes this year. Yes I rummaged at an outlet $18.95 I stalked these shoes for 6 months at the malls, support and leather beyond soft and cushy. I am anything but an impulse shopper. Nothing makes me happier than to have top quality at less than Walmart prices.
You're talking about shoes for a physical reason, I'm referring to shoes that are a social requirement. Needed to stay in style. Not functional, strictly fashion.

Gabe1

Well, I gave into peer pressure. Okay I lied there was no peer pressure. So I gave into my inner curiosity and watched a little of the eclipse. I was rainy and cloudy and then the skies cleared about an hour before it was going to start and I made my viewing box. But I wasn't satisfied with that so I got my special glasses and I snuck 5 quick looks with the glasses. I also watched a little bit on CNN. I figured being the science teacher and all I should see something with my own eyes. I think our coverage was about 80-84%, it didn't get totally dark here but it got a little eerie. It was totally a different type of darkening than like a storm or regular clouds.

I was a little scared because our weather girl said it might cause bats to possibly come out! :eek:And you all know how much a love those!;) Good thing the weather girl doesn't always know what she's talking about.
South of us the nocturnal critters came out. They are going to be extra special tired by morning with two nights today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom