The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

My niece on the other side of the family. Evil. OK beyond evil. In middle school of all times she latched onto a family other than her own and developed into the most wondrous young woman. By college she was dating a very sophisticated young man, sweet as pie and they (both now engineers) live happily ever after for 4 years now.

Didn't see that coming. Ever. Her two brothers, still twits, clones of their parents.

Exactly! There is hope...! :)

donaldtoo

Not only did the bully girl not move, her seat is to the left right behind my son. She'd better not pull anything. He has a substitute teacher for a while because the regular teacher's mother died a few weeks ago and her MIL died last week. So she's not starting off the school with them and I don't know the substitute. I hope she's strict and pays attention like the regular teacher does! (DD had her last year, so I know she doesn't put up with anything.)

Oh boy.
Sympathy like.
Hopefully, it all gets under control this year, one way or another.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Everything I've read about them indicates that that's just how they were. They were both very well-known in the community and she was known for looking in on the sick, etc. They were prominent members of the church community, he having been a minister in 3 different churches and apparently walking long distances to do services in other towns, and of course he was also a government official for a while. It sounds like they were just really involved in everything TOGETHER, so they would probably also have talked about everything. It sounds like they were a very strong couple...it's kind of sad, actually, because it seems to have stopped with them. Their son, (my grandfather's father) was basically abandoned by his mother, and never knew his father. BUT, I did hear from our cousins that his father didn't know he existed until he was an adult...I guess he and my g-grandmother were never married, or divorced before my grandpa was born. Just makes you wonder, since my g-g-grandparents were so TOGETHER, what led to the situation where my grandfather never knew his dad? I'd love to hear the whole story. My grandpa was very resentful toward his mother because he had lived with her parents until he was 5 or 6 and he LOVED them. Then one day his mom showed up with her new husband and took him and his half sister away and they left for...Nebraska maybe? I know my grandmother was from Nebraska, but I don't remember how they met. But my grandpa was very close with his half-sister and she got sick, but their parents belonged to some religious group that didn't believe in medicine and refused to do anything but pray. She died and my grandpa never forgave them for taking them from her parents and for letting his sister die. He ran away as soon as he could take care of himself. He had a very hard life...and I can only imagine how different it would have been if he had known his other half of the family who didn't even know he existed, and/or been allowed to stay with his mom's parents. I find that whole branch of the family tree fascinating and I wish I knew more about them.

Yea, that sounds like it would, indeed, be interesting. Not for the drama factor, but, just to know. So much is lost to time and history, however. The most we have been able to dig up on either DWifey or my family (including her family all the way back to the Revolutionary War) that was a bit dramatic, was a great, great uncle on my pops side that was a huckster. He was apparently a master of scr**ing people out of their property, and then turning it for a huge profit. Black sheep, indeed. Definitely not the family norm.

From my Grandparents backwards there were family secrets. My Gran on my Dads side which I knew better when asked a pretty general question about family was often met with Why do you ask these questions? Why do you need to know? My Grandfather was dead before I was born so Gran took many secrets to the grave but her cousins in Illinois over time have shared some of those ledges. I was Grans girl. I was the one she shared recipes, was taught to cook correctly, how to sew. She was a smart lady that learned things the hard way immigrating when she was 19 and never looking back. I was a teen by the time she went 'home' one time. She died at 83. She wasn't a warm and fuzzy person.

My Grandma (Mom's mother) was the leader of the pack or so she thought. It worked with some of her 12 children. The ones it didn't moved far away. Both she and my Grandfathers parents immigrated into Canada. Around 20 years old they both immigrated to the states when they were old enough to leave Canada. Since they were born Canadian they eventually had duel citizenship. My Grandfather worked in Canada as a young man for the railroad and continued to work for the same Railroad down in the Chicago area somewhere. We lost the trail of our family in Canada though I guess if we put some more effort into it we could trace with the immigration papers to the states we have.

They all could have shared but that generation backwards kept their secrets. I knew even my Dad knew more than he admitted to.
We can likely track them all down but the stories are likely lost forever.

Gabe1

What, you think the AC's are ever turned off when the weather gets like this? Someone once told me that you drink hot beverages when it's hot because it makes you feel cooler on the outside and ice cream in the winter because it makes you feel warmer on the outside. That person was an obvious escapee from an asylum because everyone knows that hot beverages are never good regardless of weather and ice cream is a 24/7/365 perfect food.

Ha! I could live without ice cream but not my coffee. Don't misunderstand, I have ice cream in just about every form and flavor in my freezer.

Gabe1

Obviously a failure at parenting. What are you thinking? Pay for the sneakers now or therapy later. Shoes are cheaper. ;)

Actually I know you are teasing, at least a bit....shoes are one thing we have always invested in. I walk a great deal and spent both of my careers mostly on my feet all day. Now age...I need even more support. Retail my gyms are $160-170 a pair but I wear them every day. Sometimes I have to brand new pair then they last 2x as long lol. Usually about 5-6 months. Both of my kids seem to have foot issues, that is their Dad's family present from their gene pool. So kids always had higher end shoes too, still do even though they buy their own 'thank goodness' now.

I am a quality buyer of things from furniture to clothing to shoes. I am also a bargain shopper. I can usually wait it out and find my $170 gyms on clearance when the latest new style launches. So maybe $99-$120. I bought a $250 pair of Cole Haan ballet slipper dress shoes this year. Yes I rummaged at an outlet $18.95 I stalked these shoes for 6 months at the malls, support and leather beyond soft and cushy. I am anything but an impulse shopper. Nothing makes me happier than to have top quality at less than Walmart prices.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Actually I know you are teasing, at least a bit....shoes are one thing we have always invested in. I walk a great deal and spent both of my careers mostly on my feet all day. Now age...I need even more support. Retail my gyms are $160-170 a pair but I wear them every day. Sometimes I have to brand new pair then they last 2x as long lol. Usually about 5-6 months. Both of my kids seem to have foot issues, that is their Dad's family present from their gene pool. So kids always had higher end shoes too, still do even though they buy their own 'thank goodness' now.

I am a quality buyer of things from furniture to clothing to shoes. I am also a bargain shopper. I can usually wait it out and find my $170 gyms on clearance when the latest new style launches. So maybe $99-$120. I bought a $250 pair of Cole Haan ballet slipper dress shoes this year. Yes I rummaged at an outlet $18.95 I stalked these shoes for 6 months at the malls, support and leather beyond soft and cushy. I am anything but an impulse shopper. Nothing makes me happier than to have top quality at less than Walmart prices.

I love a bargain as well. The last couple times I went grocery shopping my regular store didn't have its quick sale meat bin out but this Saturday it was out. It was a highlight of the day. My niece was with and I think she thought I was a little crazy but then again when doesn't she!

Cesar R M

Well, actually........................Behold Cauliflower Steak! ;)
View attachment 224253

http://thewimpyvegetarian.com/2015/...s-sicilian-style-sundaysupper-mcskilletsauce/

INGREDIENTS
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Rub the cauliflower surfaces with 1 Tbsp olive oil and McCormick's Perfect Pinch spices. Add 1 Tbsp oil to the skillet and heat up over medium-high heat. When hot, add the cauliflower. Sear for 2 minutes each side, and add the orange juice, scraping up any bits on the skillet. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the steaks are soft enough to insert a knife into. Remove to a plate and tent with foil.
  2. Add the final Tbsp oil to the pan and add the red peppers. Sauté until lightly charred and beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the onion, raisins, and capers. Sauté until softened, about 15 minutes. Add the Sicilian Skillet Sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer. Pour over the cauliflower steaks.
  3. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
FyDrU44.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom