Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

kaitertot5249

Sterg and I were continuing a great conversation that started as we left Yacht Club. He wanted to express how much he was enjoying being back in WDW (not easy for a 20 year old "tough guy athlete") and through the start of our YouTube channel, how we've been spending more time together. Indeed on this trip, Toni and Courtney naturally went together so Sterg and I become the "boy's" pair.

It's very true that Toni had been my "sidekick" for the last trips. Sterg and Alex played the cool older brother and sister and forged their own alliance. But the circumstances of this trip, especially at a time when a father/son relationship is not always the best, turned at to be perfect (well almost).
Aww this is too sweet :brb::cry:

MeeskaMooska0714

"It's just such an amazing place. All the parks, the resorts, the stores..." It was as if he was talking about a new love. As we made our way towards the Land, every little detail stood out to him. The amazement of being in a park at 10pm in the dark ready to tackle more thrills. He mentioned how great it was that "for once" it was just him and I.

It's very true that Toni had been my "sidekick" for the last trips. Sterg and Alex played the cool older brother and sister and forged their own alliance. But the circumstances of this trip, especially at a time when a father/son relationship is not always the best, turned at to be perfect (well almost).
This just tugs at my heartstrings! I have two little boys with whom I can't wait to share my love of Disney with and make memories like this!

ksr99

First off the spot for the fireworks in Japan, loved the pics!

Second I really enjoy the amount of depth of color all your photos show. I have this up on my tv and it's just awesome! I'm working on a new project, and the sights and sounds of Disney help feed my imagination and so these pics have me in a great mood.

So on a side note, my wife seems very similar to your wife with respect to Disney. I usually have to bribe mine with another trip before a Disney trip. For the record I even went my Disney reunion without her(which was smart bc I could talk Disney stuff in detail!)

Can't wait for more!

fractal

Original Poster
Next stop for us was Spaceship Earth.

_DSC0608-X2.jpg

This is one of Alex's favorites so I especially missed her as we entered. I had fun getting some good dark ride shots.

Playing with papaya.

_DSC0620-X2.jpg

We made sure to thank the Phoenicians.

_DSC0625-X2.jpg

Have to have pics of the Greeks.

_DSC0631-X4.jpg

more inside SSE photos.

_DSC0641-X2.jpg

_DSC0642-X4.jpg

_DSC0644-X4.jpg

_DSC0645-X4.jpg

_DSC0663-X2.jpg

_DSC0672-X3.jpg

_DSC0677-X4.jpg

zooming off into the Future...

_DSC0684-X2.jpg

after SSE, we went to Test Track with it's 30 minute wait.

_DSC0686-X2.jpg

Sterg bumping into a girl from Penn State that used to be on the swim team with him. Proving once again that "It's a Small World After All"!

The last time I did TT was in 2011; the "Tron" overlay was new to me. The "design your own car" was engaging and fun. Overall I loved it! Not as rich in details but it needed a fresh narrative (what car doesn't have ABS brakes today?) and the slicker new look worked for me.

_DSC0689-X2.jpg

_DSC0690-X2.jpg

_DSC0693-X2.jpg

_DSC0699-X2.jpg

I had forgotten how thrilling the outside portion was.

_DSC0700-X2.jpg

When we accelerated into the high speed bank both of us said "holy sheet!" at the same time. :eek:

64 +

_DSC0702-X4.jpg

Coming up - the walk back and using trash cans as tripods.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom