Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

kaitertot5249

So happy to hear you had a great 'Ohana experience. I've never been but it's on my list of places to try and I've been hearing a lot of not so glowing reviews in other Trip Reports so I was stating to think that I missed my chance to dine here while the restaurant was still in it's prime. Glad to hear that I still have a chance.
But this was the real star dessert!
And this dessert :hungry: Ugh I need it in my life. It always looks SO GOOD.

ml123_9

After our meet up with Tuvalu and Em we decided to check out BTMR. We navigated through the crowd to find a 50 minutes wait.
_DSC0296-X2.jpg

Surprisingly the gang was up for it but there were questions about Al and his scooter. I spoke with a huge CM (must have been 6'7'' or taller!) asking him the procedure for someone in an Electric Vehicle. I wasn't asking for any special privilege - many people before the trip told me traveling with someone in a scooter will give us special front of the line privileges, of course I knew better from these boards. The CM asked how many in our group and then handed me a slip, told me to come back at 1:30 (about an hour) and go to the area past the entrance marked by a hanging frying pan. OK, I thought. Sounds good. Now what do we do?

I made a quick decision to go see something that the kids never saw - Country Bear Jamboree! It wasn't too far away and would get us in a nice dark air-conditioned room. Toni gave me a little grief but then fell in line when everyone else agreed. So we were off; but not before a few more shots of Splash Mountain from a different angle.

_DSC0302-X3.jpg

We all sat in a handicapped area to the far left. Like the Hall of Presidents, this was the first time for me since my sole childhood trip. I do listen to the Park Music so I know all the songs and it was enjoyable watching it all play out on stage.

_DSC0304-X2.jpg

_DSC0309-X2.jpg

_DSC0314-X2.jpg

Big Al singing right in front of our big Al.

_DSC0319-X2.jpg

What was the reaction from the gang? I was surprised how much Sterg, Toni and Courtney liked it. Perhaps seeing actual 3 dimensional Audio Animatronics sing and act in a coordinated show was so different from their normal screen based world that it entranced them. Val also enjoyed it, as much as she would admit.

The Grand Finale.

_DSC0325-X2.jpg

With time still to kill, Toni & Courtney went off on their own while I led the rest to the Shooting Gallery. This has now become a tradition for Sterg & I in honor of my late father. The scramble for dollar bills to get change was on.

_DSC0330-X2.jpg

Sterg whipped my but this time around but we agreed a rematch would be in order on our next trip.

Some walking and exploring Frontierland (which we usually don't do) led us to Pecos Bills for a restroom break and an opportunity for photos.

Smiles everybody!

_DSC0338-X2.jpg

_DSC0339-X2.jpg

I made my way to the walkway along the river for more photos.

_DSC0335-X2.jpg

_DSC0334-X2.jpg

_DSC0336-X2.jpg

before long it was time for our ride on a run-away mine train.

Al was ready to go!

_DSC0342-X2.jpg

It looks like you were at MK the same hot and crowded day we were, the 25th. I assume the BTMRR cast member didn't give you the whole story with the hand written card. My son, who also uses a wheelchair, and I always grab one before SM. That card can be used anytime after the time that is written. We use that to our advantage pretty often and come back later in the day to do BTMRR. Anyways, loving the TR and I feel your pain with taking on the role of group leader.

fractal

Original Poster
After dinner, Yia-Yia decides to see what's "under the hood" of these ECVs.

_DSC0521-X2.jpg

While everyone else made their way to the monorail, I took some photos of the Poly.

_DSC0522-X2.jpg

_DSC0526-X4.jpg

I had a lot of unfounded animosity against this guy due to his role as the replacement for the old waterfall area. It's really not his fault they decided to tear that down; I'm quite sure he had nothing to do with it actually. So in the general spirit of forgiveness & goodwill I was feeling that evening I decided to no longer "hate" tiki-man and accept him as part of the new Poly lobby. It also made me feel better when taking his photo.

_DSC0527-X2.jpg

_DSC0528-X4.jpg

_DSC0529-X2.jpg

_DSC0531-X2.jpg

Getting ready to board.

_DSC0532-X2.jpg

We all fit in one cabin (barely).

_DSC0533-X2.jpg

back at MK.

_DSC0538-X2.jpg

_DSC0541-X2.jpg

then a race to the buses. Yia-Yia turned up her speed much to my concern. She really thought it was a race.

_DSC0542-X2.jpg

Then bragged about beating Al (and everyone else) to her grandchildren!

_DSC0543-X2.jpg

Waiting at the bus pick-up...

_DSC0544-X2.jpg

_DSC0546-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I had a lot of unfounded animosity against this guy due to his role as the replacement for the old waterfall area. It's really not his fault they decided to tear that down; I'm quite sure he had nothing to do with it actually. So in the general spirit of forgiveness & goodwill I was feeling that evening I decided to no longer "hate" tiki-man and accept him as part of the new Poly lobby. It also made me feel better when taking his photo.

And what a lovely photo it is! Wow.

I'm actually a photo-taker, too. When I went to London with my brother several years ago, and we were looking at the pictures afterwards, he apologized for not realizing that he was constantly about six feet ahead of me because he didn't notice I'd stopped to take pictures.

I'm starting to worry about the speedster, too! And my dad is the same with pictures--they're not real until they're in his hand!

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

As we are approaching the end ( or is it the beginning?) of Main Street I hear and see the Main Street Philharmonics! Now I love myself a good marching band, and one dedicated to Magic Kingdom is always worth a stop.
_DSC0458-X2.jpg

The rest of the gang didn't seem to agree as they kept moving. I yelled to them my order to "keep moving and I'll catch up" which is exactly what they did. I continued to take a few more photos and enjoy the show.

_DSC0457-X2.jpg

_DSC0459-X2.jpg

Right after I took this photo the band stopped, turned towards me and stared marching my way.

_DSC0460-X2.jpg

I instinctively started to back peddle until...I was stuck! My left foot was cemented in my brand new Crocs sandals (which I love!) with the Band bearing down on me. I turned around to see Al on his scooter that was now parked on my left sandal and he didn't seem inclined to move. I yanked my foot hard which ripped the top band off my sandal and set me free. Hobbling around Main Street half barefoot I made it clear of the Band's path. I then came back to my sandal and yanked it out from underneath the ECV. No words were spoken but I was pretty upset. I put the now worthless sandal on my foot and shuffled towards the Emporium as Sue came up wondering what happened.

"My Crocs broke." I said and disappeared into the store before I said more.

There is no doubt this was all a dumb accident. Perhaps I was too close to the Band to begin with, perhaps Al saw me come towards him and went forward instead of back. I didn't even know he was behind me. It was a dumb accident but the air was never cleared. I stomped around the Emporium looking for replacement sandals - the only Crocs they had were the original style which are not my flavor. I ended up buying a $15 pair of Animal Kingdom flip-flops. Before I could check out Val and Sterg found me in the store and asked what happened. Sterg found the entire thing amusing as did his Mother to some degree.

Nevertheless, I was not going to let this bother me and ruin the night. I put on a stiff upper lip and carried on. By the way, the nurse told Val that Sterg should be monitored closely and to call 911 if he feels he has trouble breathing. They gave us the name of a Doctor's service that make room calls as well as in clinic appointments if the rash got worse.

After all that, we really needed to hustle to Ohana's. Marina, Yia-Yia, Toni, Courtney and Mia moved on to the monorail, planning to meet up at the Poly. I continued to take photos on the way out...

_DSC0461-X2.jpg

_DSC0462-X2.jpg

Marina called me and told me they were still waiting for the Monorail. As I reached the platform I looked around and they were nowhere to be found.

I called her "Did you get on?"

"Not yet, about to." she said.

"Where are you..." at that point I spotted them across the Station about to get into the wrong monorail.

"You are on the wrong side!" I yelled into the phone as our monorail pulled.

They ended up going in the monorail, then out on the other side and took the middle ramp down to reenter on the correct side.

"We'll meet at the Poly" I said.

Sitting down in air-conditioned monorail with my camera heading to Ohana's. Why was I so stressed?

_DSC0463-X2.jpg

It felt good being back at the Poly!

_DSC0464-X2.jpg

Even if I wasn't in favor of the new lobby "centerpiece".

_DSC0466-X2.jpg

Still love the Island atmosphere.

_DSC0470-X2.jpg

Up next - can dinner at Ohana's cure all?

Love those Poly pics...great memories from last trip. Hands down best meal we had last year was at Ohana. On tap again this year before the Christmas Party.

fractal

Original Poster
I'm sorry, but the drama is so stinking funny. The massage chair...so funny.
Cracked us all up!

Yia-Yia and the Magic Band. So funny, I LOL'd for real.

Adorable photo of Mia looking back at you on SM.

Massage chairs--who knew?!
Exactly!

@fractal , I think you should have a special t-shirt made up for Yia Yia. The message on the front would be:

TAKE IT BACK!!

:hilarious: (Yes, I do have to, once again, bring up the famous slice of chocolate cake incident in DHS, when she told you that the piece of chocolate cake you wanted (at $4.50 or so, at the time), was too expensive, and to "Take it back!") I thought that older TR was my favorite TR of all time -- but I have a hunch that this newer one might rival it!! :joyfull:
Great memory. We were on the dinning plan and the dessert was free. As much as I tried to explain that to her she wanted me to take it back and get the money instead. :D

I love the Mickey balloons too but I never noticed any shadows on the ground from them. Thanks for pointing that out, it does look cool in your picture. I'll have to be on the look out for Mickey balloon shadows now.
Would make a great pic!

I know I've mentioned it before, but your photos are just too awesome. They're so incredibly realistic. They almost pop off of the page.
Thanks @TheDude23 ! Much appreciated.

Some of the most amazing photos of Splash Mountain....ever.

@fractal jr looking a bit green in the gills.

Please put up said photo book for sale. I'd like to reserve my copy now.
Thanks and you got it! :D

This made me so sad for you!! I've had expensive shoes break at Disney too, shoes I loved to wear, and just regular old flip flops. It's always so disappointing!!
It was a bummer. But Val ordered me new ones while dinning at Ohana's to be sent right to Yacht Club.

Erm...Not Amusing. Just sayin'

Oh, I'm just waiting for the "more drama" on this one...

Brilliant. Just effing Brilliant. :) (that's a British thing)

Come on, it's not THAT BAD...(really, it's not that bad)

Amen, sister!! :)
Yes it was! :D

A bit late to the party, but I've started following. I'm really enjoying reading about your trip so far. No doubt, even though it might be drama at the time, it's obvious your family is making memories that you will look back on with smiles and laughter. I also have to say that your photos are some of the best I've ever seen of Walt Disney World.

I also have to say that it's nice to find some other Disney fans from the area. I'm from the Muhlenberg Township area and love getting down to Florida or out to Anaheim when I can. In fact, I think I can recall seeing Sterg's name in the Sports section when he was in high school.

Anyway, I love what I've read of your report so far and can't wait to read what happens next.
Thank you @imthewalrus79 ! There are a few people roaming these boards from Berks County or nearby. My Brother-in-law lives in Muhlenberg.

Yes, Yia-Yia still has Sterg's newspaper clipping hanging in her kitchen from 3 years ago. :D

Thanks for the excellent pics of Ohana (and all the others) . We are eating here for our first time in October and it really has me looking forward to it even more.
I hope you like it as much as we did!

This is what it's all about! Awesome.
It definitely is!

So happy to hear you had a great 'Ohana experience. I've never been but it's on my list of places to try and I've been hearing a lot of not so glowing reviews in other Trip Reports so I was stating to think that I missed my chance to dine here while the restaurant was still in it's prime. Glad to hear that I still have a chance.

And this dessert :hungry: Ugh I need it in my life. It always looks SO GOOD.
Our meal in 2009 was just ok. we gave it a second chance in 2013 and it was great! Same this time, and you should go at least once.

now that made me laugh out loud!
Lol!

Drama + Heat = Funny!
Yes!

Such an exciting start lol...I'm in;)
Thanks for following @Courtney6682 !

Great trip report so far :) I have a feeling your Yia Yia and my nain (my mum is welsh and that's what we call our grannies in Wales) would get on like a house on fire, she's 92 this month and still as fiesty as they come!
Seems like they may be cut from the same cloth!

And what a lovely photo it is! Wow.

I'm actually a photo-taker, too. When I went to London with my brother several years ago, and we were looking at the pictures afterwards, he apologized for not realizing that he was constantly about six feet ahead of me because he didn't notice I'd stopped to take pictures.

I'm starting to worry about the speedster, too! And my dad is the same with pictures--they're not real until they're in his hand!
I know - I enjoy your photos! that's kinda funny - he's in every photo as the foreground. :D

Yia-Yia speeding was definitely an issue! :eek:

Love those Poly pics...great memories from last trip. Hands down best meal we had last year was at Ohana. On tap again this year before the Christmas Party.
Great! and thanks!

So did I! Your telling of the story made me laugh!!
I wasn't laughing then, but I've now just calmed down to the "mildly amused" stage. :rolleyes:

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Nice photo, as usual. But I still harbor a lot of animosity toward "the guy" they plunked there, to replace the gorgeous waterfall with lush greenery. What they have there now is contemporary and pleasant, but pleasant isn't exciting. :cautious:

Unforgivable what they did to that lobby--the "wow" factor is shot. . . :arghh:

slipperalwaysfits

Following along! You are one awesome leader! We're going in 67 days! We are going with my mom and her bff. So not quite such a big crowd to please. We decided we're doing dining ressies and FP's together and are free to split anytime...so fingers crossed! I'm curious to see what the rash turned out to be as well as what your in-laws thought of the other parks!

blreinsel

I answered that yes, the feeling of being decapitated at any moment does have an element of "thrill"

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. :hilarious:

Loving the report! A large group and drama go hand in hand... add in some summer heat and it's a recipe for disaster! Your group seems great about just rolling with it, though! :)

Also love the picture of Toni with the Mickey balloon!

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Thank you @imthewalrus79 ! There are a few people roaming these boards from Berks County or nearby. My Brother-in-law lives in Muhlenberg.

Yes, Yia-Yia still has Sterg's newspaper clipping hanging in her kitchen from 3 years ago. :D

I'm from Lancaster County. PA is well represented on these boards!! (Even though @blgauger decided to leave!!)

DonnaOnTheRocks

Finally caught up! Loving your report and photos! Especially the ones of the Poly, we're staying there for the first time in March and your photos are amping up the excitement! I will never do another large group trip, our trip of 3 is giving me a little anxiety lol! Can't wait to read the rest!

fractal

Original Poster
Back to the Yacht Club and instead of taking photos of the new Yacht Club rooms, I crashed on the bed (sorry). The rooms are nice and "contemporary" and as I mentioned in my pre-trip report they have been de-disneyfied. The Disney accents are very subtle. For someone like Val it works - for me I could use a bit more Mickey in my room. I also noticed the music on the bus is played at a lower level and is instrumental - vs. louder full Disney songs. The impression that I got was somebody decided to turn down the "Mickey volume" when outside of the parks. If you want to have the constant feeling of being in the Disney bubble you can find it, if you don't need that in your face 24/7 it's easy to tune out.

Still hidden Mickeys in the Yacht Club area rug...(but not in the hallway carpeting).

_DSC0547-X2.jpg

After a much needed break and some unpacking, we regrouped to tackle our first night in Epcot. Everyone except Sterg & I went to the pool. The "boy's" took their toys (camera and tripod) and headed to Epcot; hustling once again to make Reflections of Earth.

A quick shot of the Boardwalk first.

_DSC0548-X4.jpg

Sterg and I hit World Showcase just as they started to dim the lights. My plan was to take long exposure fireworks photos with the help of my tripod. Showing up 30 seconds before the show starts in not the way to do that. After walking around for a few minutes it was clear every good spot was taken. I was disappointed especially because last trip I failed at doing the same thing. Then I saw a little nook near Japan that I thought might work. We scrambled over there and staked our space (not that anyone else was too interested). It was a partially blocked view, but at least I had a view. I quickly unfolded and set up my tripod and although I missed the start of the show (which I love!) I managed a few photos that I was very pleased with...

_DSC0564-X4.jpg

_DSC0565-X2.jpg

_DSC0568-X2.jpg

I used an aperture of f/6.3 with a 13 second exposure @ ISO 50 for those keeping score. This may be my favorite...

_DSC0572-X4.jpg

I opted for a tighter focal length using a 55mm lens vs my wide lens thinking the bonsai tree and Japanese structure would make a great foreground.

During the time I was setting up, I handed the camera to Sterg who took a few handheld shots of the fireworks. Big difference.

_DSC0561-X2.jpg

I bring this up because often when people see my photos of long exposure fireworks they'll say "Wow, you must have a great camera." While I do have a very good camera, it's not the camera as much the technique. A decent camera on a tripod with the correct settings will get you those beautiful streaks and flares - if you know what your doing.

During the show we heard that Toni and Courtney were in Epcot about to get on Soarin' (Courtney had gotten us FPs). We quickly packed up and decided to follow their lead.

Sterg and I were continuing a great conversation that started as we left Yacht Club. He wanted to express how much he was enjoying being back in WDW (not easy for a 20 year old "tough guy athlete") and through the start of our YouTube channel, how we've been spending more time together. Indeed on this trip, Toni and Courtney naturally went together so Sterg and I become the "boy's" pair.

"Everyone is so nice in Disney." He said. "I've really noticed that. Not just the people working here, but the people visiting. Everyone is just so nice."

"Well, not everyone,"
I replied thinking of a few instances in the past. "but I'm sure its much more than normal."

"It's just such an amazing place. All the parks, the resorts, the stores..."
It was as if he was talking about a new love. As we made our way towards the Land, every little detail stood out to him. The amazement of being in a park at 10pm in the dark ready to tackle more thrills. He mentioned how great it was that "for once" it was just him and I.

It's very true that Toni had been my "sidekick" for the last trips. Sterg and Alex played the cool older brother and sister and forged their own alliance. But the circumstances of this trip, especially at a time when a father/son relationship is not always the best, turned at to be perfect (well almost).

We both agreed it was good to see "Patrick" again.

_DSC0575-X2.jpg

It reminded me of the trip to California Sterg and I took in 2012 (and rode Soarin' 5 times). He was 15 at the time, in full fledged "cool teenager" mode. Not only was he not carrying around a camera, he wanted nothing to do with having any photos taken of him and wasn't that thrilled about strolling around with his Dad in Disneyland. We had fun no doubt but I realized on this night in Epcot how much he's matured and changed. There is hope, fellow parents of teenagers!

Soon we were flying around the World.

_DSC0576-X2.jpg

_DSC0581-X2.jpg

_DSC0584-X2.jpg

_DSC0601-X2.jpg

Coming up...

Our first day in Disney is not over yet! Plenty more to be done during EMH at Epcot.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom