News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Rider

Walls up at Epcot. No work being done behind them yet.

IMG_4467.JPG
IMG_4468.JPG

SosoDude

I'd think many (most?) people are better at driving forward than backing up. Some people on ECV's don't have the easy ability to turn around and look where they're going. And even with someone guiding them and telling them "back up in a straight line", I can imagine would create a bit of anxiety in the driver, leading to potential panic moves.

If they have the ECV owner drive onto the gondola, the drive from a wide-open area to an enclosed area is the more difficult of the two moves. They'd want to make that as easy as possible for the driver, allow them to easily see where they're going. Once you're inside the gondola, the exit is from the already enclosed space out to a wide open space. That move should be easy to do while backing up "blind".

-Rob

Maybe load is on one side and unload is on the opposite side of the gondola? Drive straight in and drive straight out? I have not read this whole discussion and this may have been ruled out.

Goofyernmost

I'd think many (most?) people are better at driving forward than backing up. Some people on ECV's don't have the easy ability to turn around and look where they're going. And even with someone guiding them and telling them "back up in a straight line", I can imagine would create a bit of anxiety in the driver, leading to potential panic moves.

If they have the ECV owner drive onto the gondola, the drive from a wide-open area to an enclosed area is the more difficult of the two moves. They'd want to make that as easy as possible for the driver, allow them to easily see where they're going. Once you're inside the gondola, the exit is from the already enclosed space out to a wide open space. That move should be easy to do while backing up "blind".

-Rob
They may have the capacity to drive straight on and straight off like the monorails.. that remains to be seen. However, if they only work one way, the logical ways is to drive on and back off. The platform will allow a lot more room for error then the inside of the gondola.

allgiggles

-Rob

Good point. Hadn't thought about the whole margin of error/open space thing. I'm naturally programmed to back my car into a parking spot whenever possible because in my mind, I find it easier to pull out of the parking spot and not have to worry about having speeding cars and oblivious pedestrians in my blind spots. If it's safe/possible to back into the spot I prefer to do that because I have no idea what conditions will be like when I'm ready to leave -- someone may be parked really close to me, or the car in the parking spot directly across the driveway/lane from me might not have pulled in all the way so they're sticking out by 6 ft., etc. I'd rather do the "hard part" first...if that makes sense. But I forget that most of the general population might not do things that way. I've been known to follow the beat of a different drummer sometimes. :D

Rob562

Maybe load is on one side and unload is on the opposite side of the gondola? Drive straight in and drive straight out? I have not read this whole discussion and this may have been ruled out.

Since they're using an off the shelf system, and I don't think there's such thing as a dual-door gondola system in existence, I doubt it.

-Rob

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The walls were up in the 2nd week of July when we were at the Beach Club Villas. They might not be building anything visible, but there was a ton of loud noise coming from behind the walls. Maybe site prep type work but it was work. We could hear it from our balcony.

Or just a recording to make people think work is actually going on. Disney magic! ;)

Kamikaze

Not going to happen. You can't unload into the 'middle' of the station, since thats where all the actual workings of the system are. To do this would require a tremendously large station (to fit walkways, ramps and the hardware) as well as special cabins with doors on both sides.

Fe Maiden

Good point. Hadn't thought about the whole margin of error/open space thing. I'm naturally programmed to back my car into a parking spot whenever possible because in my mind, I find it easier to pull out of the parking spot and not have to worry about having speeding cars and oblivious pedestrians in my blind spots. If it's safe/possible to back into the spot I prefer to do that because I have no idea what conditions will be like when I'm ready to leave -- someone may be parked really close to me, or the car in the parking spot directly across the driveway/lane from me might not have pulled in all the way so they're sticking out by 6 ft., etc. I'd rather do the "hard part" first...if that makes sense. But I forget that most of the general population might not do things that way. I've been known to follow the beat of a different drummer sometimes. :D

You're one of those people.

Rider

Pretty sure thats not directly Skyliner work. Thats just the re-working of the DHS lots. The Skyliner station at DHS was previously grass and trees.
I believe it's all related but I guess you can say that of everything going on there these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom