Premium Member
Two movies
A massively popular movie soundtrack with its own remix album
An award winning cartoon series
A popular street party at the park with a full-scale Flynn's Arcade
Multiple comic book series
Multiple video games
A crazy popular coaster

.... I think Tron's doing quite well for Disney actually...

None of which had any staying power. None of which have ever had much merchandising power.

Both movies have been mediocre commercial successes. Let's keep perspective... the black hole which is widely panned and as a poster child for the failures of the studio in the era... grossed more than TRON. Legacy couldn't get the third movie secured even after multiple attempts.

The most successful part of the franchise has been the 1982 arcade title which really doesn't represent any notable fiscal gain for Disney.

I love TRON. I've used it in my online handle for nearly 30 years. I've read several books on it. I have tron merch proudly on my shelves to this day... but I acknowledge the reality that the story is more fan appreciated than commercially.

Electronica has been the recent success... but much of that has to do with it was a dance party in the park for the AP crowd. They replaced it with the Alice theme and kept none of the tron elements... not even the arcade.

Last edited:

kpilcher

Thank you.
Probably. I could talk about **GE. WRTW. 220. LSE. WoW. WC. Resorts. Transport. But I'm not going to break trust.
I just say what I can when I think I should. And sometimes let others take the credit.
So: Confirmed: GE is sponsoring a new Women's Ready to Wear clothing store (220 designs) as you Leave Spaceship Earth for a World of Warcraft ride with a Water Closet. No need to tune in for D23 now ;)

Bairstow

None of which had any staying power. None of which have ever had much merchandising power.

Both movies have not been mediocre commercial successes. Let's keep perspective... the black hole which is widely panned and as a poster child for the failures of the studio in the era... grossed more than TRON. Legacy couldn't get the third movie secured even after multiple attempts.

The most successful part of the franchise has been the 1982 arcade title which really doesn't represent any notable fiscal gain for Disney.

I love TRON. I've used it in my online handle for nearly 30 years. I've read several books on it. I have tron merch proudly on my shelves to this day... but I acknowledge the reality that the story is more fan appreciated than commercially.

Electronica has been the recent success... but much of that has to do with it was a dance party in the park for the AP crowd. They replaced it with the Alice theme and kept none of the tron elements... not even the arcade.

This makes it even more baffling that Disney would have used Tron as the basis for the Shanghai coaster. Could it be that Disney actually does sometimes put the potential success of an attraction over a slavish devotion to only the latest and most lucrative intellectual properties? Maybe someone at Burbank just made a math error and everyone signed off thinking that Tron was making them money.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This makes it even more baffling that Disney would have used Tron as the basis for the Shanghai coaster. Could it be that Disney actually does sometimes put the potential success of an attraction over a slavish devotion to only the latest and most lucrative intellectual properties? Maybe someone at Burbank just made a math error and everyone signed off thinking that Tron was making them money.

The use of IP can serve different purposes.... and some are far more abstract than others. You don't need to recognize the story undertones in TRON to think the environment is cool as a techie futuristic look.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Given the location, the park, the look and design, and the fact it was new, Shanghais Space Mountain and in a park loose on other perceived thrills shouldn't be taken lightly.

It could be exactly the same and be called Billy Smiths Light Bike Coaster and be as popular.

Bairstow

Given the location, the park, the look and design, and the fact it was new, Shanghais Space Mountain and in a park loose on other perceived thrills shouldn't be taken lightly.

It could be exactly the same and be called Billy Smiths Light Bike Coaster and be as popular.

Of course, but the Disney we usually see isn't picking out the theme for an attraction based on what will result in the most interesting or exciting guest experience, but what will have the most synergy with the company's efforts elsewhere to curry brand awareness, promote current and upcoming media, and move merchandise. Spending millions to build a Tron coaster seems like money down the toilet if these are Disney's true priorities.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I'm just surprised.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I could talk about **GE. WRTW. 220. LSE. WoW. WC.
Rocket Raccoon's Great Escape (using SGE theaters but with footage from Mission Breakout). Wreck-it Ralph's Tech World (Something else probable for TW, but a ride into video games). 220 (221, whatever it takes). World of Wonder (like World of Color). Water Cooler (replacement for Club Cool when Coke pulls out, sponsored by mother nature).

Jbres_

Rocket Raccoon's Great Escape (using SGE theaters but with footage from Mission Breakout). Wreck-it Ralph's Tech World (Something else probable for TW, but a ride into video games). 220 (221, whatever it takes). World of Wonder (like World of Color). Water Cooler (replacement for Club Cool when Coke pulls out, sponsored by mother nature).

While I would like half of this to be true, I know that it probably isn't :(

thepirateking

It is surprising to see which franchises Disney decides to turn into attractions. Sometimes it seems like the best fit really does win. Tron fits in Tomorrowland, even if only for its aesthetic.

I use the word "franchise" intentionally. I'm surprised to hear that Ratatouille is going into Epcot. I believe Iger himself said that is a great movie, but not a franchise. And it's now 10 years old, yet here we are.

Putting aside the race to add GotG to the parks as fast as possible, I think seeing support for Tron and Rat are an interesting turn of events.

Check out the quote from Iger (I actually remembered this interview, somehow):

http://archive.fortune.com/2008/04/...view.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008041110

[Fortune.com] One of the decisions you made was to change the approach to managing these big franchises.

Iger: That was the result of a belief that these great character franchises were all brands unto themselves. But nobody was really managing those brands, and decisions were being made in a vacuum. So if we determine that "Toy Story" is a real franchise for the company, then "Toy Story" should get made. Now, you still have to have a great story and great execution - and in the absence of that, you shouldn't make it. And not everything has to be a franchise. I was recently asked whether "Ratatouille" was a franchise. I said no: "Ratatouille" is an extremely good animated film and will be a classic unto itself, but it is not a franchise. You are not going to see "Ratatouille" attractions in parks.
On a lighter note, I must point out that Bob Iger (the ultimate insider) explicitly stated we are not going to see a Ratatouille attraction in the parks. He's lost all credibility now! ;)

Dan Deesnee

None of you are true Disney fans because the WoW clue is super easy. It's obviously a ride based off this or a new experience (fingers crossed it has a dessert party!!!):

51TziBcqZFL._SY300_.jpg

britain

Love the Mr. Mom reference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom