DVC guests and MagicBands/FP/Tickets

dyeguy21

Original Poster
Hey all so first timer question:

Used to go to WDW with family back in early 2000's and now am finally going on my own trip and planning myself for our group. I am using some "gifted" points from a family member who ended up booking my resort stay. We ended up having enough for a 2 bedroom villa, so we them decided it was a waste to not bring some friends. So we had a reservation and then added 2 more guests onto the room via phone. We live in two completely different states (which may matter later) and it is also their first time doing ANYTHING Disney.

I see all 4 of our guests on my MDX page and I can make magicbands for all of us. I bought two tickets for myself and spouse, and I get how to link those.

So my questions:
1. Do I tell my friends to make their own MDX's and then just add them to family and friends to plan our ADRs and FPs?
2. Do they link their tickets on their own MDX or should I ask them for their conf. numbers to link on my MDX? (And do you individually assign tickets to each guest? we're all getting 7 day park hoppers)
3. Is Disney going to send me all 4 MagicBands or send their 2 to them? (We may be getting in on different airlines at different times and both parties are using MDE bus, which I assume needs the bands) Same for their MDE luggage tags?

So basically I'm lost as to how the whole MDX thing works, once linked is it fully linked or is it visit specific, can it handle sending stuff to other people in your group that live at a different address, etc. I also assume that after this trip our friends will want to go back on their own and want to make their MDX for future use as painless as possible.

Thanks so much in advance, looking forward to my first Disney in a long time and introducing some new ones to the fold!

Rob562

Hey all so first timer question:

Used to go to WDW with family back in early 2000's and now am finally going on my own trip and planning myself for our group. I am using some "gifted" points from a family member who ended up booking my resort stay. We ended up having enough for a 2 bedroom villa, so we them decided it was a waste to not bring some friends. So we had a reservation and then added 2 more guests onto the room via phone. We live in two completely different states (which may matter later) and it is also their first time doing ANYTHING Disney.

I see all 4 of our guests on my MDX page and I can make magicbands for all of us. I bought two tickets for myself and spouse, and I get how to link those.

So my questions:
1. Do I tell my friends to make their own MDX's and then just add them to family and friends to plan our ADRs and FPs?
2. Do they link their tickets on their own MDX or should I ask them for their conf. numbers to link on my MDX? (And do you individually assign tickets to each guest? we're all getting 7 day park hoppers)
3. Is Disney going to send me all 4 MagicBands or send their 2 to them? (We may be getting in on different airlines at different times and both parties are using MDE bus, which I assume needs the bands) Same for their MDE luggage tags?

So basically I'm lost as to how the whole MDX thing works, once linked is it fully linked or is it visit specific, can it handle sending stuff to other people in your group that live at a different address, etc. I also assume that after this trip our friends will want to go back on their own and want to make their MDX for future use as painless as possible.

Thanks so much in advance, looking forward to my first Disney in a long time and introducing some new ones to the fold!

First off, congratulations for having the foresight of being concerned about your friends going on future trips on their own. Those future trips are often how snafus happen with MDE when people get mutliple copies of themselves under different peoples' accounts. Or sometimes there's two copies of the same person under one account, maybe they booked under their Gmail account this time, but next time their wife books the trip and gives her work email address.... A solid start, and then consistency in linking trips to their accounts is key to a smooth trip.

Here's what I'd suggest:
-Each of you friends should make their own MDE account. (I suggest they use an email they'll always have, like a Gmail account, rather than a school or work address that may change in the future)
-Go in under *your* MDE account, and under each of your friends listings (the ones that should already be there because you added them to the DVC reservation) click the "invite to plan and share" option and fill in the email address they used for their account. Once they accept your friend request, they'll then be able to see anything you've already planned for them (hotel, dining reservations, etc) when they log into MDE.
-Your friends should also connect to each other as friends, either doing like you did and adding the other's name and filling in the email address, or using the "people I may know" option that's like a friend-of-a-friend connection through you. (You have to be sharing your friends list to allow that to happen though).

Once you're properly linked, it's not as important as to who exactly does the linking of tickets, as long as they're assigned properly.

Customizing and receiving the MagicBands is a function of the Lead Guest on the DVC reservation. So that'll be you. All four Bands will ship to you. (As a side note, once the Bands actually ship, under "My Bands & Cards) you'll only see Bands for you and any "managed by you" profiles. Those who have their own MDE accounts will suddenly see their Band appear under their own account, and they control it)
[Edit to add: double check the mailing address on the MagicBand order. It may default to the DVC owner's address]

You can either send your friends their Bands, or when they get to MCO they can stop at the Magical Express counter and have them print out a boarding pass for the bus. Then you can give them the Bands when they arrive at the resort.

Lastly, because you've given your friends a solid base for their MDE accounts and connections, when they go to book their future trip on their own, everything should work seamlessly. They Band they get on this trip will work interchangeably with all of their future trips (and any Bands they may get on those trips, too).

-Rob

Last edited:

freesvoice

First off, congratulations for having the foresight of being concerned about your friends going on future trips on their own. Those future trips are often how snafus happen with MDE when people get mutliple copies of themselves under different peoples' accounts. Or sometimes there's two copies of the same person under one account, maybe they booked under their Gmail account this time, but next time their wife books the trip and gives her work email address.... A solid start, and then consistency in linking trips to their accounts is key to a smooth trip.

Here's what I'd suggest:
-Each of you friends should make their own MDE account. (I suggest they use an email they'll always have, like a Gmail account, rather than a school or work address that may change in the future)
-Go in under *your* MDE account, and under each of your friends listings (the ones that should already be there because you added them to the DVC reservation) click the "invite to plan and share" option and fill in the email address they used for their account. Once they accept your friend request, they'll then be able to see anything you've already planned for them (hotel, dining reservations, etc) when they log into MDE.
-Your friends should also connect to each other as friends, either doing like you did and adding the other's name and filling in the email address, or using the "people I may know" option that's like a friend-of-a-friend connection through you. (You have to be sharing your friends list to allow that to happen though).

Once you're properly linked, it's not as important as to who exactly does the linking of tickets, as long as they're assigned properly.

Customizing and receiving the MagicBands is a function of the Lead Guest on the DVC reservation. So that'll be you. All four Bands will ship to you. (As a side note, once the Bands actually ship, under "My Bands & Cards) you'll only see Bands for you and any "managed by you" profiles. Those who have their own MDE accounts will suddenly see their Band appear under their own account, and they control it)
[Edit to add: double check the mailing address on the MagicBand order. It may default to the DVC owner's address]

You can either send your friends their Bands, or when they get to MCO they can stop at the Magical Express counter and have them print out a boarding pass for the bus. Then you can give them the Bands when they arrive at the resort.

Lastly, because you've given your friends a solid base for their MDE accounts and connections, when they go to book their future trip on their own, everything should work seamlessly. They Band they get on this trip will work interchangeably with all of their future trips (and any Bands they may get on those trips, too).

-Rob
Not OP but this answer has been extremely helpful for me as well! Another question - if lead guest is in charge of magic bands how can others in a large group link individual magic bands to their own method of payment? Or is there no way...?

nickys

Premium Member
Not OP but this answer has been extremely helpful for me as well! Another question - if lead guest is in charge of magic bands how can others in a large group link individual magic bands to their own method of payment? Or is there no way...?

You can do this at the front desk when you check in. Not a problem. You can also set charging privileges too, DD (17) has $100 limit, DD (12) has $ 40 limit etc.

correcaminos

If they have their own MDE account they can set up their own charging. We did that last time a group went. You can also go to the front desk and they will take care of it for you.

freesvoice

If they have their own MDE account they can set up their own charging. We did that last time a group went. You can also go to the front desk and they will take care of it for you.
Thank you! Will have the adults in my group set up their own MDE accounts now that I know this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom