Trip Report 40 year old first timer AND a Foreigner

Hi everyone,

I've been anonymously surfing these forums since the start of the year to help plan our trip last June 2017. Literally every question I had already had an answer thanks to the search function so i never really needed to post. I decided to post something now to go over my wonderful memories of the trip one last time ( my friends and family are tired of my Chewbacca stories!) and hopefully help out any other foreigners flying into the happiest place on earth.

Quick background:

Myself. 40 year old male. Never been to any Disney park.

DW. "Don't you dare post my age!" Female. Last visited the magic kingdom when she was 12 yrs old.

DD. 7 years old going on 13. Female. " I don't like princesses. I want buzz light year as my magic band web site icon". First timer just like her father.

DS. 4 years old. Male. "What's wrong with princesses? They're pretty. " First timer.

We flew in from our home country in Asia. Flew on emirates so routed through the Dubai hub. 25 hour flight from our door to touchdown in MCO (including airport wait time, stop over, etc. )

Next post. Arrival day or "That's a SMALL stroller?!?"

fractal

Hi everyone,

I've been anonymously surfing these forums since the start of the year to help plan our trip last June 2017. Literally every question I had already had an answer thanks to the search function so i never really needed to post. I decided to post something now to go over my wonderful memories of the trip one last time ( my friends and family are tired of my Chewbacca stories!) and hopefully help out any other foreigners flying into the happiest place on earth.

Quick background:

Myself. 40 year old male. Never been to any Disney park.

DW. "Don't you dare post my age!" Female. Last visited the magic kingdom when she was 12 yrs old.

DD. 7 years old going on 13. Female. " I don't like princesses. I want buzz light year as my magic band web site icon". First timer just like her father.

DS. 4 years old. Male. "What's wrong with princesses? They're pretty. " First timer.

We flew in from our home country in Asia. Flew on emirates so routed through the Dubai hub. 25 hour flight from our door to touchdown in MCO (including airport wait time, stop over, etc. )

Next post. Arrival day or "That's a SMALL stroller?!?"

Welcome!

Very much looking forward to your report.

FirstTimeForeigner

Original Poster
Arrival day. We touchdown at MCO, 1030 AM Sunday.

The flight wasn't that bad. Even in economy the kids were given some swag and I binge watched some tv shows. Couldn't watch Westworld though. Even the censored version would require too much explaining to my DS sitting beside me.

I got the note on My Disney Experience that our magic bands would be waiting at the Contemporary because of our international address. I never got a note about my baggage tags though nor did I ever get anything in the mail. So I had resigned myself to dragging along my check in baggage. We decided to rent a stroller from one of the 3rd party stroller companies mentioned here based on the various stories of exhausted trips back to the hotel in the forums. So so at least I didn't need to add that to our luggage concerns.

One complication was the new regulation disallowing laptops and iPads from Middle East flight cabins. Since we routed through Dubai we fell under this rule. I had already put my iPad in the check in baggage so I thought I was all set. When we transferred at Dubai though it turns out that cameras also fell under the new rule so I had to surrender my carry on camera prior to boarding on our last leg from Dubai to Orlando.

*** Next section talks about how we got from the plane to our room. To help with anyone else flying in from outside of the US. Will tell you when this boring part is over. ***

From 1030 to about 1130 we spent our time in line for immigration. To be honest though this had to be one of the friendliest interactions we've ever had with an immigration agent. Once we told him we were there for Disney he just started doing what needed to be done without any other serious questions. He even asked the kids what characters they wanted to meet.

After immigration we waited for our luggage to go through customs. Emirates had staff waiting beside the baggage carousel handing out the items that were surrendered prior to boarding. I showed them the claim stub I had gotten and recorded my camera before the rest of our luggage came out. When our luggage came out we quickly gave our customs form and said we didn't have anything to declare. We needed to take a train/tram to the main terminal and we took the option to put our larger bags on the conveyor belt again so we wouldn't have to bring them along the tram. It was hard bring them as you can't bring the baggage carts into the tram. But because of that we had to wait another 20 minutes at the main terminal for our luggage to come through again. All in all the whole luggage thing took as about 45 minutes.

In the main terminal,however,we started seeing little signs pointing to the Magical Express and the kids started getting excited. When I got to the cast member at lower level I gave them the printouts with our reservation details from the website and they printed me out a magical express confirmation with a bar code that the CMs would scan We got in line for the bus and as the driver was loading up our bags in the bottom of the bus one of the CMs offered to take a picture of us beside the Mickey sign on the bus because I had been photographing my excited kids.

We were the third stop on the bus but we never really noticed. The kids spent the time watching the cartoons/video or shouting out whenever we'd see some sort of welcome to Disney sign. There where oohs and ahhs as we saw Space Mountain in the distance. "That's a ride?!?"

We got to the Contemporary and we got our magic bands from the front desk as promised. We also got some first timer buttons and my birthday button. I made the mistake of not getting bell service for our bags. During the rest of the trip our walk to our garden wing room didn't feel that far but after a long flight and dragging along several pounds of luggage it felt like a hike. We fell on our hotel beds around 130pm.

I also took the opportunity to go to bell services to pick up my City stroller single mini. This had to be the biggest stroller I had ever seen in my life. While over the course of the trip it would seduce me with its cup holders and storage space, people have to know that these things are larger than any stroller you would probably see in a non-American city. They never fold up completely like an umbrella stroller so you'll find yourself squeezing into most of the Disney transport. Good news is you're not alone so most people are understanding. There were so many of these rentals in the park i had to tie my neon green baggage belt around it to distinguish it from the others. And to be honest, at least one of the kids fell asleep in that thing everyday and it really did help.

So from touchdown to hotel room it was about 3 hours.

*** End of Plane to Hotel Section ***

We probably should've made the kids take a nap but after everyone took a shower DW and I were happy to veg out as the kids played with their magic bands to open and close the door or watched tv.

At 400pm we headed out for our 515 ADR at 1900 park fare for dinner. We wanted to walk around the grand Floridian and the kids were excited to ride the monorail for the first time. We'd only been in the lobby so when I first brought them up to Grand Concourse "The train is in our hotel?!?" The ride was great. Didn't bring the stroller and most people were probably at the parks so lots of space. Floridian was beautiful. But by 430 my 4 year old started to crash. He said he was tired and started tearing up. The 1900 park fare people were nice enough to let us in early so he still got to meet prince charming and Cinderella. But as soon as Cinderella left our table he was out. It was at this point that i discovered how right everyone was about how much fun the wicked stepmother and step sisters were. Even with DS snoring they didn't miss a beat. There were so many pictures with them and DD ( who was suddenly a wicked step sister fan) and myself holding DS. it was also during this first dinner that the kids would be introduced to their diet for the rest of the trip. Nuggets. Fries ( or some other sort of potato) Strawberries and chocolate milk. In later restaurants nuggets would be switched with pizza or burgers. It was expensive for the food but DS still asks to look at the picture of him sleeping as Anastasia poses beside him and he wonders if he'll ever be as tall as Prince Charming. That one's going into the photo book. As we took the monorail home with DS in my arms and DD and DW straining to see the castle fly by in the twilight, I was excited for our coming first full day in a park.

Next Up 1st day in the Magic Kingdom

FirstTimeForeigner

Original Poster
First Full day at a park

One "advantage" of a 24 hour flight to WDW is the jet lag advantage in the morning. The kids were up at the break of dawn. We took the path outside the garden wing rather than walking inside and waking up people as my kids excited squealed along the corridor. Luckily the Contempo cafe was open already and we executed one of our cost saving plans to offset our coming character meals -> we ordered just one adult meal (eggs and a pile of meat and bread) and one kids meal (Mickey waffles). With all the sides like milk, fruits, some sort of apple sauce the food was enough for all four of us.

We went outside and I just can't explain how exciting it was to see that "walkway to the magic kingdom" near the sidewalk. We may have missed the first change of the pedestrian light because we were taking so many pictures of space mountain. My wife got a little emotional when she saw the train station because she swore it looked exactly the way it had when she was a kid. We tried to stroll up Main Street but DS had already jumped out of the stroller and was running up to the castle. There were a bunch of photopass people in the area and we were able to get some wonderful pictures with almost no people in the background. I hadn't told the family about the welcome show and the kids just went berserk when Mickey came out to welcome everyone. We walked through the castle to get to peter pans flight. I may have lost a few minutes to the people who went through the path near liberty square but the look on DDs face as we went under the castle was worth it.

Peter Pan flight was a 20 minute wait already but the queue really was fun. When that ship first started rising the kids just went bonkers.

After that it was Winnie the Pooh with another great interactive queue and then barnstormer, the first roller coaster ride ever for DD and DS. DD was hooked and she made me promise to ride more. We finished just in time for our first fast pass -> the haunted mansion. I just can't explain how much this meant to me because I remembered growing up and just making do with reading about this ride in the Disney guide books that people brought home. I was worried about 4 year old DS but he was brave through out. ( I forgot to mention that during our Cinderella interaction the day before we got her to talk about how proud she was the he was going to be brave enough To go to the haunted mansion.) Our magic shots outside the mansion are some of our favorites.

On the walk back to our next FP+ we chanced upon the muppets and their great moments of history (but just the American parts! ) and I was just amazed that this was just one of many random moments of laughter and joy that you'd suddenly find yourself Watching on the street.

It was getting hot and I was glad we had brought a large water bottle. We'd also brought packaged snacks from home to help us power through the day. All Part of DWs well thought out plan, taking care of the brood while at the same time ensuring return trip luggage space for our shopping.

Our next FP+ was 7 dwarves. Once again 7 year old DD was ecstatic and you could see it in the ride pics with all of us holding on for dear life except for her with her hands in the air and smiling from ear to ear. Unfortunately this one was a little too scary for DS and he made us promise not to make him ride any more roller coasters.

DS spirit was revived however by a quick ride Under The Sea. There's just something about him and mermaids.

After lunch at cosmic rays. Burgers. Nuggets. Fries. We snuck in Small World and Dumbo for DW. We had quick power nap back in the hotel. When we got up it was dristling so we took a boat ride to the wilderness lodge ( the kids felt like it was another ride) for our adr at the whispering canyon cafe. On the boat ride over our kids started interacting with some of their cohort and somehow ended up discussing a YouTube kids channel that they coincidentally all followed. The dad remarked that it really was a small world after all.

From the wilderness lodge it was a boat ride back to the magic kingdom for a bunch of night time rides -> magic carpets. dumbo. The tea cups. We made it to the hub for happily ever after and DS and i looked up at the sky in awe - cheek to chee as the fireworks lit up the sky. DW was amazed at the castle lights and images saying she didn't remember anything like that at all. DS once again started powering down but DD wanted to watch the next show. Luckily with the stroller and the DWs desire to burn off some calories that problem was solved by splitting the team into two. DW and DS walked back to the Contemporary while DD and I stayed to watch the next castle show ( I forgot what it was called but DD forgot her princess aversion long enough to sing along with some frozen songs and the crowd). I remember closing off the night walking down main street hand in hand with DD eating ice cream to celebrate a successful first day.

NEXT: A disturbance in the force!

FirstTimeForeigner

Original Poster
Hollywood Studios Day ( a disturbance in the force)

After a lovely first day in the magic kingdom we were all set for day 2 at DHS. We were taking the bus early to get to our Hollywood and Vine ADR at 830. I was disappointed to see a line at the Contemporary station but I was relieved to find out most of it was for Animal Kingdom/Pandora. (No one in my family has seen Avatar because the kids are still in their cartoon phase and DD was born when the movie came out so DW and I never had the time to watch it in 3D. So no AK on this trip. ).

The bus comes. The stroller fits! And we're on our way. They let us into the park early for the adr and the CM tells us we can sign up for Jedi academy already (did my captain phasma pin up girl shirt give me away?). All my plans are coming together!!! Early adr. Short line at Jedi academy registration. This must have been how emperor palpatine felt when he finally defeated the Jedi. BWAHAHA.

DD: I don't want to sign up for star wars. I don't really like it.

WHAT?!?

DS: If she's not going I'm not going.

WHAT?!? WHAT?!?! Is this a rebellion?

The only thing left is for DW to pick me up and throw me down the deathstar's power shaft.

But no. Seductive is the dark side.

Me to DS: You know that Mickey Mouse plush toy you want ? If you do this for the emperor... I mean... if you do this for daddy you can have the toy.

DS: ummm. Ok!

The questions they ask at Jedi registration were a little hard for my 4 year old though. What's the last letter of your first name. First letter of your last name. Will you follow instructions? Luckily CM took pity on us and signed us up for 1000(we had to be there by 940).

We head to Hollywood and vine and the kids have a wonderful time with the Disney junior crew. We even have a great shot with doc mcstuffin (the greys anatomy of the kindergarten set) and DD displaying their matching ponytails. Food was ok.

After the breakfast DD has second thoughts about Jedi academy. He's worried about understanding the instructions and It turns out there's a little mermaid show at the same time. And all three of them give me their puppy dog looks. So once again the dark side is defeated by siblings and their soon to be single back stabbing parent.

During the show DW can't stop giggling as Sebastian tells king triton: Like I always say, Your Majesty, "children have got to be free to lead their own lives."

DHS to be continued. An old wingman saves the day.

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Loving the details and the sheer joy from your children( first timers) and from you and your wife(long time away)

It has been along time since my family has enjoyed every detail of the parks
It brings back memories of our first trip

If possible it would great to see a few pictures ( especially the ride photos you mentioned of 7DMT)

Following along
Thanks for sharing
Looking forward to the next post

Max

FirstTimeForeigner

Original Poster
Joy

IMG_1116.JPG

FirstTimeForeigner

Original Poster
DHS continued...

As we left the Little Mermaid Show DW noticed how down I looked. To cheer me up she suggested we pass by the Star Wars place she could she across from the theater. It was Launch Bay! And when we got there we found Chewbacca was a 10 minute wait! Everyone agreed to line up and we had some great photos with The Original Wingman. I sheepishly asked for some solo pictures as well. We enjoyed the rest of the exhibits and the kids interacted with one of the Jawas walking around the bay. We snuck in the great movie ride before our first FP and everyone enjoyed. I was happily surprised about how much 4 year old DS liked it. He still complains why there weren't any ride pictures from that one. Maybe it was all the interaction with the tour guide or the old musicals.

After that it was time for Toy Story Mania which was a blast. We then walked over to Star Tours where the kids kept shouting "It's really C3PO!" when they realized he wasn't just on the screen.

We had some time before our next FP so we watched Muppets 3D. Both kids still talk about the interactive effects which I now barely remember. And after that DS would always ask if the show we were about to watch was 3D too. And there was just something very cool about having the two old guys up there as part of the actual audience.

The kids found Rizzo the rat so funny we decided to have lunch at PizzaRizzo. The food was ok and it didn't feel as packed as Cosmic Rays. DW and I discussed our next FP - the Tower of Terror. I argued that it technically wasn't a roller coaster but she rightly argued that DS probably wouldn't like it. So we again split up the team. DW and DS were up for another round of little mermaid then Disney junior. DD and I hiked over to ToT. Luckily DS lent us his stroller because it was getting hot and ToT turned out to be a hike. We still had a slight wait even with FP but DD found the lobby very cool. She kept asking if we were really going to go all the way up. She enjoyed the ride but she said it was the only roller coaster she was really scared off because of the "ghosts".

Luckily the park wifi had been reliable enough for DW and i to communicate with viber and not have to use data roaming. We met up near the movie theater just in time for the march of the first order. After the show however the kids were a little low batt so we decided to head back to the hotel. We had been weighing a park hopper but DS was already napping as we got of the bus. After DD joined him we decided to turn the rest of the day into a pool day. The Contemporary pool is pretty simple compared to what i saw the other hotels were offering but give kids a splash play ground and one slide and you're pretty set for the rest of the day. I think our jet lag had thrown us off because the next thing we knew we were watching the MK fireworks in the distance as the kids continued to play with some new friends. Our mistake was that we didn't realize the poolside food ended in the evening. Since the kids were wet and hungry we decided to just do room service rather than have to change and go to the lobby. Over dinner DD told DS about ToT and the ghosts from the fifth dimension. DD showed off the gold "coins" Jake and the Neverland Pirates had been giving away at the show.

NEXT EPCOT and Daddy doesn't realize that Test Track includes an actual Test Drive

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Your son changing his mind about participating in the Jedi Training was likely a GOOD thing. The show is loud, overwhelming and can be frightening for young children. My 5 year old nephew had fun during the "practice" run (when a CM teaches them how to wield their light sabers) but once Darth and the other villain arrived he began to cry. He put on a brave face to "fight" but as soon as it was over he ran crying to his dad and said, "Daddy that was so scary! I don't want to do that ever again!"

And his 4-year-old sister, who was watching the show, cried the whole time out of fear for her brother.

Minnie1986

First Full day at a park

One "advantage" of a 24 hour flight to WDW is the jet lag advantage in the morning. The kids were up at the break of dawn. We took the path outside the garden wing rather than walking inside and waking up people as my kids excited squealed along the corridor. Luckily the Contempo cafe was open already and we executed one of our cost saving plans to offset our coming character meals -> we ordered just one adult meal (eggs and a pile of meat and bread) and one kids meal (Mickey waffles). With all the sides like milk, fruits, some sort of apple sauce the food was enough for all four of us.

We went outside and I just can't explain how exciting it was to see that "walkway to the magic kingdom" near the sidewalk. We may have missed the first change of the pedestrian light because we were taking so many pictures of space mountain. My wife got a little emotional when she saw the train station because she swore it looked exactly the way it had when she was a kid. We tried to stroll up Main Street but DS had already jumped out of the stroller and was running up to the castle. There were a bunch of photopass people in the area and we were able to get some wonderful pictures with almost no people in the background. I hadn't told the family about the welcome show and the kids just went berserk when Mickey came out to welcome everyone. We walked through the castle to get to peter pans flight. I may have lost a few minutes to the people who went through the path near liberty square but the look on DDs face as we went under the castle was worth it.

Peter Pan flight was a 20 minute wait already but the queue really was fun. When that ship first started rising the kids just went bonkers.

After that it was Winnie the Pooh with another great interactive queue and then barnstormer, the first roller coaster ride ever for DD and DS. DD was hooked and she made me promise to ride more. We finished just in time for our first fast pass -> the haunted mansion. I just can't explain how much this meant to me because I remembered growing up and just making do with reading about this ride in the Disney guide books that people brought home. I was worried about 4 year old DS but he was brave through out. ( I forgot to mention that during our Cinderella interaction the day before we got her to talk about how proud she was the he was going to be brave enough To go to the haunted mansion.) Our magic shots outside the mansion are some of our favorites.

On the walk back to our next FP+ we chanced upon the muppets and their great moments of history (but just the American parts! ) and I was just amazed that this was just one of many random moments of laughter and joy that you'd suddenly find yourself Watching on the street.

It was getting hot and I was glad we had brought a large water bottle. We'd also brought packaged snacks from home to help us power through the day. All Part of DWs well thought out plan, taking care of the brood while at the same time ensuring return trip luggage space for our shopping.

Our next FP+ was 7 dwarves. Once again 7 year old DD was ecstatic and you could see it in the ride pics with all of us holding on for dear life except for her with her hands in the air and smiling from ear to ear. Unfortunately this one was a little too scary for DS and he made us promise not to make him ride any more roller coasters.

DS spirit was revived however by a quick ride Under The Sea. There's just something about him and mermaids.

After lunch at cosmic rays. Burgers. Nuggets. Fries. We snuck in Small World and Dumbo for DW. We had quick power nap back in the hotel. When we got up it was dristling so we took a boat ride to the wilderness lodge ( the kids felt like it was another ride) for our adr at the whispering canyon cafe. On the boat ride over our kids started interacting with some of their cohort and somehow ended up discussing a YouTube kids channel that they coincidentally all followed. The dad remarked that it really was a small world after all.

From the wilderness lodge it was a boat ride back to the magic kingdom for a bunch of night time rides -> magic carpets. dumbo. The tea cups. We made it to the hub for happily ever after and DS and i looked up at the sky in awe - cheek to chee as the fireworks lit up the sky. DW was amazed at the castle lights and images saying she didn't remember anything like that at all. DS once again started powering down but DD wanted to watch the next show. Luckily with the stroller and the DWs desire to burn off some calories that problem was solved by splitting the team into two. DW and DS walked back to the Contemporary while DD and I stayed to watch the next castle show ( I forgot what it was called but DD forgot her princess aversion long enough to sing along with some frozen songs and the crowd). I remember closing off the night walking down main street hand in hand with DD eating ice cream to celebrate a successful first day.

NEXT: A disturbance in the force!
I'm going to be traveling to WDW in September with an 8yo and your report is giving me hope that I won't want to pull my hair out.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom