Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Indeed. And even if we posit that WDW has long range plans and is not just acting in the moment, World Showcase was never meant to be ever-growing until all countries are represented. The current layout squeezes in only 19 pavilions (maybe half a dozen more if you gobble up World Showcase Plaza). The original pie-in-the-sky plan only had room for 34. And there are roughly 195 countries in the world. Clearly, the majority of countries would not have their own pavilion.

It's maddening to think of important countries (geographically, historically, culturally, politically) that should already have been included and aren't. But even if/when all 19 pads are full, we'll still come up with a few more countries that 'should' be represented.

A possible fix is to make any new pavilion a regional one with several countries having a storefront within one pavilion. The Norway pavilion was originally going to be a Nordic one with several countries involved, but only Norwegian interests came up with sponsorship money and so it became a one-country pavilion. (Imagine the complaints about Frozen Ever After that could have been somewhat blunted if it was the Nordic pavilion! -- Just kidding, it would have still been hated.)

Since replacing attractions at WDW has become so common I wonder I they will decide at some point to replace a country with a different one.

troy.

Updated the supposed map...

View attachment 211833

They are probably going to put a fancy, landscaped, built out, Cinderella meet and greet in front of the new ride.
And worry about the "future" later.

upload_2017-6-23_22-38-9-png.211833

cjkeating

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems kind of crazy that this is supposed to take 3 years to build.

Let's wait until they actually start building it, this permit is for water management not the notice of commencement. They have already filed a water management permit for Ellen and I think the replacement for that isn't scheduled until 2021 at the earliest as this project has leapfrogged that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yikes. Almost a full year later than originally anticipated.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems kind of crazy that this is supposed to take 3 years to build.

I surprised they aren't fast tracking this or GotG to coincide with SWL opening to at least entice people over to Epcot for a bit to see something new.

It's already moved forward a year since last summer when it was first approved.

Last edited:

jt04

Switzerland and a modern era Matterhorn seem like a no brainer. Carries the mission of Epcot. Works thematically. Already designed ( pretty much ). Adds theme appropriate thrills.

I guess if they pushed the rat building as far back as possible there would be room for a smallish Swiss pavilion with faux Matterhorn on the roof of the rat building. And bobsled ride building behind Morroco. Problem solved.

This is how they should be planning. IMO.

The_Jobu

I guess if they pushed the rat building as far back as possible there would be room for a smallish Swiss pavilion with faux Matterhorn on the roof of the rat building. And bobsled ride building behind Morroco. Problem solved.

This is how they should be planning. IMO.

If they do add another country, I can't image it being another European one, IMO. Especially one with so little ties to Disney tourism. Though adding the Matterhorn ride would be sweet.

Cesar R M

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So Rat and Innoventions will be the first components of the Epcot refresh to open? Or is there something else slotted to help draw traffic away from DHS/SWE at Epcot in 2019?

Well, in 2019 will be the new Illuminations.

Epcot Rumor Timeline:

2017: Mission Space update
2019: Illuminations next version
2020: Rat Ride
2020: Innoventions
2021: Guardians of the Universe of Energy
2021: Spine
2021: UK Ride
2025: thee new pavilions by then... maybe​

Unknown:
  • Refurb of Living with the Land
  • Refurb of Spaceship Earth
  • Whatever may be happening with Imagination and Mind's Eye Theater
  • Any possible change to Impressions de France
  • Update of American Adventure movie (digital and new scenes)
  • Update of Canada movie (digital)
  • Addition of Brazil
  • Brazil ride
  • Coco overlay of Gran Fiesta
  • anything with the Wonder pavilion

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Are they going to move the background buildings, staff parking and access areas to the other side of the small river?

No, that will all be consolidated around the Rat building or the area behind Morroco, or moved elsewhere.

Perhaps that will be the staging point for the construction company?

Doesn't make sense to build a staging area right where you are going to build the building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom