The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yeah, my daughter wasn't reading chapter books that early, but she was starting to read and they didn't want to help her because "they don't do that until 1st grade." Um....so you'd rather she be bored out of her mind than to give her material at her level? I understand that not every kid is there yet at 4. (we start school here at 4) And I agree this push to teach kids to read and do math so early is nuts...not every kid is ready for it at that age and they still need to PLAY. I get that...but at least offer material that's on that child's level. If a kid is behind, you offer them help and lower level material, so why not with kids who are faster learners? That school closed and we went to the school where the kids go now and by that time DD was starting 1st grade. They put her right into advanced reading, so it was good.

Sounds like your language teacher was feeling threatened. Incompetence?

We are an odd district. It has come a long way in the last decade but it was a hard road. I get that idea of not pushing kids but the district was more into teaching to the middle, a hard hurdle to get the entrenched out of. The younger staff got it so as some of the very old retired it became less frustrating. I have no idea of how my my DD really learned to read early on. I have some guesses, she was in speech therapy at 2 years old and that worked with sounds and letter combos, she loved to play on the computer and I had age appropriate learning CD Roms for her and games and when she watched TV many of her choices had learning aspects to them. Combine that with a high IQ I guessing she put the pieces of the puzzle together. As she aged she thought we were all weird when she was small. She didn't grasp us being in awe of her ability to read-it kinda creeped me out cause I didn't get it and my son learned to read the traditional way. Her thought as a preschooler was Everyone Knows How to Read or so she thought as she retells that time period.

Songbird76

Sounds like a fun night. I wonder why the policy was only 2 things per round?

Oh and @Goofyernmost is right the Mexican restaurant that overlooks the boat ride is San Angel Inn. I've only eaten there once and I enjoyed my food, but the tables are close together. And the service was slow. I haven't been back just because there are many more restaurants I'd rather eat at. I'm glad I didn't have the situation like @betty rose.
The 2 things per round is to help the kitchen keep up, and to prevent waste. If everyone in the restaurant orders 5 things, they can't keep up, and you get some people who want to try so many things and then they get full and still have 3 dishes left untouched...so they limit it so you can't do that, and they charge you 2.50 for wasted food. I HOPE that's only at the end, not if you don't like something, but as Hubby paid, I didn't see whether they charged me for the dolma I didn't eat. Neither of us would touch it.

I remember thinking as we were riding in the boat at the Mexico pavilion, "Oh I want to eat at that restaurant!!" but we couldn't because of DS. Maybe next time! I can't wait to go back!!!

Songbird76

Sounds like a lot of fun was had. Sorry about the foods though. I've never had Dolma but I love polish Gołąbki's-their cabbage rolls. Slurp.

What kinda car do you guys get?
I've never had Golabkis....interesting. My friend from Iran makes Dolma and it's really good. I've had recipes I like and ones I don't. But I've never had ones served completely cold like that, and it was so hard and crumbly...not at all a nice texture.

We got a Peugot 208 blue lion. We lease our cars because we had such a bad experience with the last car we owned....something was wrong with it and it burned out the engine every 2 years and it cost over 2000 to fix each time. When we bought it, they told us they had just replaced the engine, so we were basically getting a new car for the price of a used one...and then it died 2 years later. We had the engine replaced and then in another 2 years, it died again and they told us it needed a new engine. Plus, there was a manufacturing problem with that model that froze the doors in the winter. If it got too cold, the locks would freeze and you couldn't open the doors, and if you got them open, you couldn't CLOSE them. More than once, hubby had to drive with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand holding the door closed until the car warmed up enough to get the door closed. One time, he had to crawl in through the trunk because that's the only door that would open. And once the child lock froze and the window was frozen shut, so hubby got to my work and I had to frantically wave at a coworker to come open my door for me because I couldn't get out from the inside and couldn't roll down the window to open it from the outside. After that car, we decided a lease car was better...then the company is responsible for upkeep...it's all included in the monthly payment. Insurance, upkeep, the yearly inspection...so we turned in our Toyota Yaris Friday and got a Peugot. We get a new one every 5 years or something.

Songbird76

It was a beautiful day. I repainted my entryway rug-outside, got the bark on all of the plants in pots. Dug a hole. I have a Shepard's double hook that keeps falling over, annoying. When I'm done it will be there until the metal rots. I had sprayed down our entire property with liquid weed kill, with all the rain we even had weeds popping up in the pavers, rocks and a crack in the driveway. Insane. Seems they are half dead. Hope I don't have to do that again-ever. :facepalm:

Now I want to go out to dinner...da da da da da da da da da da da DA dadadada da da da da da da da DA da da da DUH DUH DUUHH
DOOM DUM ~
That's what happens when you watch too much Jeopardy. :cyclops:

And it is going to rain tonight and on and off tomorrow. River is over now again from yesterday. Joy Joy
I hope the rain is done! Is the weed killer poisonous? Does it kill grass?

Songbird76

We are an odd district. It has come a long way in the last decade but it was a hard road. I get that idea of not pushing kids but the district was more into teaching to the middle, a hard hurdle to get the entrenched out of. The younger staff got it so as some of the very old retired it became less frustrating. I have no idea of how my my DD really learned to read early on. I have some guesses, she was in speech therapy at 2 years old and that worked with sounds and letter combos, she loved to play on the computer and I had age appropriate learning CD Roms for her and games and when she watched TV many of her choices had learning aspects to them. Combine that with a high IQ I guessing she put the pieces of the puzzle together. As she aged she thought we were all weird when she was small. She didn't grasp us being in awe of her ability to read-it kinda creeped me out cause I didn't get it and my son learned to read the traditional way. Her thought as a preschooler was Everyone Knows How to Read or so she thought as she retells that time period.
Well, in the end, DD just learned it by herself. She got into first grade and I heard her reading to her brother, looked at the book and it had some huge words...it was a Disney's Cars book on CD. So you had the CD play and followed along in the book....only she wasn't using the CD and we had never listened to it, so it wasn't something she learned from listening to it over and over...she was really reading it. So I took the book in to show her teacher..it was right at the beginning of the school year. So her teacher looked at it, called her over, opened it to a random page and asked her to read it. She did, so the teacher put her into the advanced reading book...she was the only one, which was kind of sad because she had to go sit in the hall for reading and kids from other classes would walk by and ask her what she did because the hall is where kids were sent if they were misbehaving. But she actually LIKED sitting in the hall because it was quiet. So she taught herself to read, but the school where she went to kindergarten didn't help her.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Easier for moving on, and setting a good example for the boys. Patience is not my strong suit . We will write Disney when we get home. We try not to make a scene, and think about what we say in the letter to Disney resorts and parks.
On our 2013 trip we had an absolutely horrible meal. Food, service and the server brought out something my ds was allergic to even though the item was listed on the sheet and we mentioned it to the server and the chef. Cold food warm beer:hungover: and the attitude from heck when I mentioned the allergy problem. The server asked if I could just remove it:eek::brb::mad::banghead: After the meal I walked straight to guest relations and I have to say the staff there was fantastic and made up for all the problems we had:joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Happy Grill A Thon day. My nice quiet at home day turned into my dh trying out his new toy day and trying my patience day:cautious:. At least the cornbread and beans are already in the oven:joyfull:

Yesterday, i used my Weber (charcoal) grill for the first time this season. Bought a big cowboy steak at the butcher shop, grilled it up, and hubs and I devoured it. :hungry: Also bought twice cooked potatoes (topped with cheese and bacon bits--the butcher shop makes those) and cooked them up in the oven. :hungry:

No bone for the doggie, though. When we've given him a steak bone in the past, it doubled as a toy and also something for him to chew on. He likes to run around with it in his mouth, and then chucks it on the hardwood floor -- outside our bedroom -- at like, 2:00 AM . . . No more bones for the dog! (We give him a little piece of the steak, instead, in his food bowl.)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I was an early reader too. But my mom worked with me. I had so many bad ear infections she was afraid I was going to end up deaf so she wanted me to be an excellent reader to help with communication., plus she loved to read and wanted to share that with me. My older sister wasn't/isn't much into books. I remember reading the Sunday comic strips to my dad when I was about 3-4. I wasn't reading full chapter books by kindergarten, I was more into the Bernstein Bears. However, I stayed grade levels ahead throughout school in reading. Math however is a different story.:oops:;)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yesterday, i used my Weber (charcoal) grill for the first time this season. Bought a big cowboy steak at the butcher shop, grilled it up, and hubs and I devoured it. :hungry: Also bought twice cooked potatoes (topped with cheese and bacon bits--the butcher shop makes those) and cooked them up in the oven. :hungry:

No bone for the doggie, though. When we've given him a steak bone in the past, it doubled as a toy and also something for him to chew on. He likes to run around with it in his mouth, and then chucks it on the hardwood floor -- outside our bedroom -- at like, 2:00 AM . . . No more bones for the dog! (We give him a little piece of the steak, instead, in his food bowl.)

Poor Jack, no bone! ;) At least he got a piece of steak though. Yesterday, I made deviled eggs (and other stuff) for people coming over for a cookout today. Kapono didn't care at all what I was doing in the kitchen until she heard the crack of me unshelling the hard boiled eggs, then she came running and sat staring at me until I shared a little egg white with her. She also got a little leftover filling in her bowl of food too. Which I thought meant she would clean out her bowl, but no she just ate the pieces of food that had the egg stuff on it and left the rest.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
So I know teachers aren't supposed to have favorite students, but we are human and we do. Anyway, yesterday I went to the graduation party of my favorite student. It was a little sad because I won't be seeing him at school anymore, even though I haven't had him since he was a 9th grader (our building is a joint middle school/high school) I still chatted with him briefly almost every day in the hallways. As a 7th grade he confidently told me that he would be my favorite student, and he wormed his way to that position. He is moving on to a great college and has a bright future ahead of him and my husband and I are pretty friendly with his parents so I know I'll get updates. But his mom made me tear up a little last night, she told me that her son had had some tough times in school (his graduating class is full of some grade A jerks) but that he always loved me and my class! Then she told me that we would have to road trip together to go visit him at college. :happy:

BAChicagoGal

We have adopted my grandson's conure. She is a noisy bird. Way too noisy that my grandson has given her to us. My husband has ordered her a bigger cage, and is already becoming attached to her. I have warned him not to respond too quickly/often to her loud screams. She sleeps on the same schedule with the finches, and so far we have had noise free nights. Hopefully all will go well. I did not want a bird this big. Mostly because they need to be out of their cage a certain part of each day. My husband is the sort, who will bend over backwards, to see that the bird is happy in every way. My house has become a mini zoo is some ways. Way too many animals in my attic where my grandson lives, and now 8 birds, 5 cages, in our 1st floor place. I just wish we had more windows. The finches sing so much more when they can look outside. They hop around so happily as well. The parakeets don't care, but their cage is in my computer room, and they are quite content.

Happy Sunday. I will be off to the meat market today to buy some ribs. My grandson's girlfriend wants to BBQ those tomorrow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom