The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yep, when the kiddos were younger, we were fine in a POR room with one bath that slept all 5 of us.
Since '07, on all family trips we have stayed in value family suites (one time at AoA, and the others at ASMusic - the last 3 trips with SonIL along). They sleep 6, have a kitchenette, two baths, and a seperate lockable bedroom with another TV. :)

View attachment 203809

Me, and just me I'm better with the idea of a couple of rooms over the suites. It so depends on the family. None of us sleep well on a sofa bed as adults. None of us sleep well on a chair ottoman bed. Guess it depends on the age, our backs and what we each need to get a sufficient nights rest. It greatly varies even though our kiddos are in the same age range. When we've toured as extended adults we've gone for a couple of rooms at a moderate vs suites only because it offered traditional beds over alternate sleep options. Works for us.

Gabe1

I have no clue, as I have never researched it. But, if someone can show me how renting points to stay at a DVC property is less expensive than staying in a value family suite, I'll take it...! :)

Have the gals look at it next time. For groups especially since you now have married couples and adult children it is really a very good option dollar for dollar. There are two very vetted sources for renting.

Gabe1

how much is a suite at AMS? and AOA?

I think it was around 350-400 USD a day to rent points on Old Key west (divided into 4 people). 2 big rooms, kitchen, 2 full bathrooms. (Technically we could have fit 4 more people there!) on New Year's.

AKL was cheaper but it was completely booked out. (usually the cheaper rooms, around 200 USD a day on low season via renting points)
It was 180 USD to stay in COR, single rooms (studio vs normal hotel room).

Unsure about the recent price hikes.

But then, DVC point rental removes the daily cleaning.

Agree. It is a trade off but the nice accommodations and real beds for less $$$ is something to consider.

Gabe1

Not bad but the price OUCH! I also like having a full kitchen, washer and dryer for anything a week or longer:oops: That being said at some point I'd love to do a resort only trip and stay in the bubble sans kids:angelic:

We keep leaning this way. EMH becoming less and less. Urber helping the choice factor along with us splitting time between Disney and Uni. I so can't wait to visit a modern water park-Volcano. We are a Chlorine family after all so it is exciting for us.

Figgy1

Premium Member
It has been one of these kinda weeks again....
C-30_4qW0AA8fmT.jpg
I want one of those foe wine:oops:

Figgy1

Premium Member
My long time friend and I have now been to DL and WDW together. We went to WDW right when FP+ was rolling out.

In WDW:
Her: So what are we doing today?
Me: We are going to DHS. We have a Star Tours FP at noon, then Tower of Terror and RnRC at 3 and 4. We'll do Tower at 3:45 so we can go right on RnRC. We have Prime Time for dinner at 5 and depending on the weather, we might stay for Fantasmic. If we don't do Fantasmic tonight, we'll ride TSM at the end of the night.

In DL:
Her: So what are we doing today?
Me: *shrugs*. Dinner is at 6.

She laughed at me and my differing reactions to that question. :hilarious:
Your DL experience was our UNI experience. Except for 3 ADRs and we didn't even really need them. Mythos was even taking walk ups:joyfull:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Ha! I had just told my DD about @Songbird76 new-ish life in the Netherlands, being so very different than her life in the US and what is available, right down to a freak'n stove/oven and various foods. We talked about the Jello and my DD was in disbelief that any country didn't have Jello. I am so in awe of her life, the determination to go into 'a whole new world' freak'n awesome life.

Awe good Mom. If you ever need Jello I'll send it to ya. Just PM me lady. :inlove: Nobody should ever live without Jello.
I can even get vegan Jello. I can't imagine life without jello:inlove: @Songbird76 same here just pm me.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yep. Hear ya. My family is crystal clear on the perimeters of what is a gift and what is work when it comes to a present. Never had an issue thank the Lord!

I think I was about maybe 10 at the time (my siblings were all older than me), when my mother had a fit about people only giving her "kitchen gifts" for Mother's Day, her birthday, and Christmas. I remember being surprised at the time--as kids, that was our image of her. Somehow, we never saw beyond the "mother" part of her life. So, it was a wake-up call to the family.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Well, it's nice not to have homework. And I'm working fewer hours a week than I was in my last semester of college (16-20 hours per week, 17 hours a week in class, plus homework). And as far as a job goes, this one really isn't that bad.

I'm glad I got in with a large company and there are opportunities to move after I've been there a year because I really don't want to stay in this department. The job, for one, is boring. Lots of looking at spreadsheets, which in all seriousness, if I wanted to look at spreadsheets all day, I would have gone for an accounting degree. Sometimes I feel like the workload is overwhelming; others I'm searching for something to do. I hate where I currently am seated because there's no one around my area, so there are days when I don't talk to anyone, which for me, as an extroverted introvert, is not a great setup. And while the managers who I support are all lovely people, I've already had to deal with a coworker who's really b*tchy and basically does nothing but whine about her job. If you ask her for anything, she'll cop an attitude. And this other manager who believes that rules don't apply to her. I actually told my manager at one point that I didn't want to deal with her anymore because she either ignored me or complained about the process. Thankfully, my manager was getting the same attitude I was, and so I don't deal with her anymore. My manager can also be a challenge because she's got a personality type that tends to panic first. I'm figuring out how to handle her, though, which is basically a lot of "It's okay; we can fix this." We got an email today at the end of the day, and I'm fully expecting it to frazzle her even more, even though it really shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Evidently, my manager's boss is nicer to me than he was to the last person in this position. Like, way nicer. He comes over and checks on how I'm doing, gave me excellent advice over how to handle the situation with my one coworker, brings me marshmellow peeps because he knows I like them, etc. I'm contract to permanent placement, and my manager from the agency still can't believe how nice he is to me. But I'm also not intimidated by him, which is probably a big thing. Growing up in a household with a lawyer who can be intimidating means learning to not get intimidated.

But eventually, I want out of this department. I'd rather go into marketing or HR. Marketing was my degree's concentration, and HR is where my experience lies.

I have really missed college, though. I've missed chorus, being on campus, seeing friends, chatting with professors, sitting outside with my Surface in between classes and working (or Netflixing, depending on my level of burnout). I went to a fantastic school, and every single day, I use the education I got there, or something will pop up and I say, "Yup, learned that in college." I miss it though. I might go back and get my MBA. Not at my alma mater; likely at U of Baltimore. But I'm going to wait before making that decision.

That's very interesting. It's a journey. Down the road, I'm sure you'll be able to transition over to the dept. you prefer. All this experience in your current dept. will serve you well, though.

Lastly, there's usually one deadbeat in every place you'll work. I've seen it multiple times down through the years, and I've also seen some lousey managers who didn't deal appropriately with the issue..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom