Mickey Monitor Entry 1 : New Epcot Pavilion (Horizons Thread)

spacemt354

Chili's
Here is my first take on the configuration of the pavilion.Entry and exit would be from open archway areas. The ride vehicles would be visible through the exit archway.

I envision using a trackless ride vehicle seating 8 people (four people per row). Guests would have to wear seat belts. As the vehicles near the end of the display portion of the ride, they will diverge onto one of two sets of speed lifts. Before being lifted, guests will see a model of Disney's perspective on Progress City. Following the thrill of the lift, the vehicles will move across a stationary deck (between E and F on the plan). F is a descent elevator. The vehicles will rotate and as the elevator slowly descends six stories, on a screen in front of them guests will see visual images of the future they designed for themselves in the first theater. Once at ground level, the vehicles will rotate again and follow the path shown with purple arrows to the unload point.

View attachment 199107
Great job here --- really like it a lot!

OvertheHorizon

@spacemt354 My next two days are quasi-busy (I have a writers' critique group on Tuesday and have to get prepared). I'm thinking about creating a website for this project and would, of course, loop you in as an additional editor for the site. Maybe if we get our ideas all in one location we can provide the link and get more feedback. Regardless, I'd like to start compiling the elements of Century 22 in one location. It might be Wednesday until I can do that. It will also give time for more thought to be given to the scenes guests will view during the ride portion of the attraction.

spacemt354

Chili's
@spacemt354 My next two days are quasi-busy (I have a writers' critique group on Tuesday and have to get prepared). I'm thinking about creating a website for this project and would, of course, loop you in as an additional editor for the site. Maybe if we get our ideas all in one location we can provide the link and get more feedback. Regardless, I'd like to start compiling the elements of Century 22 in one location. It might be Wednesday until I can do that. It will also give time for more thought to be given to the scenes guests will view during the ride portion of the attraction.
I will post my ride through concepts tomorrow. Take your time the next few days.

spacemt354

Chili's
I will post my ride through concepts tomorrow. Take your time the next few days.
Having a bit of trouble trying to visualize this. To be honest, I keep going back to a similar story of the original attraction. Probably because the original Horizons is such an iconic and incredible story.

I'll sleep on it tonight and hopefully tomorrow something will click and I won't be so close to the source material. This project is more difficult than I expected.

OvertheHorizon

Having a bit of trouble trying to visualize this. To be honest, I keep going back to a similar story of the original attraction. Probably because the original Horizons is such an iconic and incredible story.

I'll sleep on it tonight and hopefully tomorrow something will click and I won't be so close to the source material. This project is more difficult than I expected.
I completely understand. I'll try to give it some thought too and we can compare notes.

OvertheHorizon

A few early morning thoughts: What I'm sure we are both thinking about is the use of the family throughout the original Horizons ride, which was very much like an extension of the family in Carousel of Progress. So perhaps we stick with that idea, and rather than worry about those similarities - celebrate it. For example, the script starts with, "Hello again!" Woman says, "I know it doesn't look like we've aged." Man says, "That's because we take good care of ourselves." Woman, "Yeah, right... something like that." Man, "Actually, we're here to share another glimpse of the future. One that's just around the bend." (Or something like that.)

The other thing I've been thinking about is that the original "Progress City" model ought to be a part of the opening theater and the Disney animatronic presentation. Then, as part of the speed lift at the end, we can propose a NEW Progress City, before guests see their own visions of the future.

We'll catch up later.

spacemt354

Chili's
A few early morning thoughts: What I'm sure we are both thinking about is the use of the family throughout the original Horizons ride, which was very much like an extension of the family in Carousel of Progress. So perhaps we stick with that idea, and rather than worry about those similarities - celebrate it. For example, the script starts with, "Hello again!" Woman says, "I know it doesn't look like we've aged." Man says, "That's because we take good care of ourselves." Woman, "Yeah, right... something like that." Man, "Actually, we're here to share another glimpse of the future. One that's just around the bend." (Or something like that.)

The other thing I've been thinking about is that the original "Progress City" model ought to be a part of the opening theater and the Disney animatronic presentation. Then, as part of the speed lift at the end, we can propose a NEW Progress City, before guests see their own visions of the future.

We'll catch up later.
Okay that can work with me. See the trouble I was having was every scene I thought of I was basing on the original, and trying to make it unique from the original (which is harder than it seems)

Rather now embracing the original, with the family, but with a modernized version for a new age. That's easier. Let's go that route. By the time you get back tonight I'll be able to have my write-up/thoughts written out.

spacemt354

Chili's
Overview

For the scene by scene ride-through, this could very well change for the final version, but I hit on something after watching Martin's Horizons video again this morning. In that...to me, only having gone on the attraction as a small child and never actually experiencing it now, it's tough to wrap my head around how that attraction as it was would fit in today's climate. It really set itself up for the sets to become outdated very quickly. For such a technologically advanced attraction, it was built in 1983...only 17 years before the 21st century. If ever redone, the next "Horizons" attraction, would have to be a complete remodel (like what we are doing) otherwise, it wouldn't make sense with the times. It would feel outdated, like the 50s future theme felt again as I watched the ride-through this morning.

Also as we've said - while I love the long dark rides, there should be some "thrill" aspect to the attraction...not where it requires a height requirement though or speeds up. I came up with a system for the "rapid ascent" except it isn't that rapid.

I know we had mentioned a trackless system for this attraction, but since we've made the turn back to being more inspired by the original, I've assumed the same ride system as the 1983 version of the attraction...except with one major adjustment, and that being the ascent and descent portions.

The ride system will lean back as it did in the original version, however the bottom of the vehicle will clip onto another guiding track, tilting the vehicles onto their backs for the ascent, which will be a 360 space tunnel (explained later) soaring through the stars. Having the vehicles pushed back will have gravity pushed onto the guests, and the swirling video screens around you will add the thrill portion, without having to add the stop/start ride system. Everything will flow together as one.

While some of the story-lines of the 21st century and props would be outdated in today's climate -- the message is definitely not. If you can dream it, you can do it. The progress of tomorrow, today. That spirit is the general spirit of Epcot and that will be something seen throughout the attraction. It will also have tie-ins to the Carousel of Progress and Walt Disney's Progress City. I agree that we should introduce Progress City in the opening video....and then in the attraction, I spend the majority of the beginning of the attraction going through Progress City, seeing how life has progressed on earth. Faster travel, home living, etc.

Basically, I skipped the Jules Verne, 50s future, etc of the attraction...and we start right off with the Carousel of Progress family in the future, living in the suburbs of Progress City Epcot.

As you'll see in the description -- after a while in progress city, the attraction then transitions into an image of the futuristic earth, its citizens, how we will protect and care for the earth (energy/communications/etc) and our pursuit of the great beyond...our universe.

You'll float to a moon base with the classic "space" horizons music playing and then your vehicles will reach the ascent portion, and blast off into the cosmos with interstellar organ music playing in the background. You vehicles land on Mars (similar to Mesa Verde), Europa, where you see an underwater colony (Sea Castle), and then to a mining asteroid in deep space (similar to brava centauri)

After visiting all of those places, you begin your descent back down to earth, where you've reached the end of the 22nd Century...and look beyond to the future Horizons.

The narration will still be done by the Mother and Father of the Carousel of Progress family. Here are some images to go along with the basic outline above.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The load area will be very similar to the original version
10061708025_cfa2fa1446_b.jpg

Rough Sketch of Building Layout
33162061643_316b7f5e42_b.jpg

Scene 1 - Progress City Hub
9dd285d59f39ec02117dc67982bf96a2.jpg

Venture through the futuristic transportation systems, non-pollutant transport leading to...

Scene 2 - Night Superhighway
27356425350_e1d937ca40_k.jpg

Cars driving themselves through a neon superhighway. Safe travels and quick ventures to your destinations now in Progress City

Scene 3 - City of Tomorrow
27548128542_cd9434af07_k.jpg

Skyscrapers with rotating rooms for energy efficiency - taking in the solar rays to provide electricity to the rooms.

Scene 4 - Transition

(Around 0:45 seconds -- I could see this being really cool as you tilt up)
Progress10.jpg

You fade back for a view of Progress City from afar. As you do that, your vehicles tilt back and you see the massive Spaceship Earth ball, which then transforms into earth itself, which you glide towards.

Scene 5 - Earth Cityscape
27558964081_d6f89c380e_k.jpg

As you look at the greater earth, you see cities across the world taking inspiration from Progress City...from Europe, to Asia, to South America -- you see all continents adapting to the Century 22 living. The buildings then bend over as you transition into the "Future World"

Scene 6 - The Future "World"
27024112883_d44e4ece85_k.jpg

A colony with the capacity of deep space travel...a foreshadow of what is to come on your journey.

Scene 7 - Protecting Earth
2016-06-13_01-34-11_zpsunmiqad8.jpg

You board the Future World Colony which drops you off in the earth's atmosphere - where satellites and drones whiz by you, calculating solar radiation data, weather patterns, and communications throughout the world. This seen combines the themes of the Universe of Energy, Wonders of Life, The Land, and Spaceship Earth all in one.

Scene 8 - The Great Beyond
20160613_154137_zpsicbl3auq.jpg

Your vehicles rotating 180 degrees for a view into outer space. You pass the new and improved ISS and venture out to the new moon colony.

Scene 9 - Moon Base
moonbase.jpg

The moon colony features a dome and a complex of apartments and maintenance facilities owned by NASA.

Scene 10 - Transition
Narration by the family of how we strive to dream big in the 22nd century...there are no bounds to our exploration and discovery

Ascent (Journey Through the Stars)
zooming_through_space_by_napsrs-d9xwvh5.jpg

Just start at 3:50 -- to me...this would be my favorite scene in the whole ride. Imagine millions of stars whizzing by you as the organ music plays and you feel gravity pressing down on you. It would create the illusion that you're going really fast.

Scene 11 - Space Bus and Mars "Mesa Verde"
epcotbus.jpg

Your vehicle rotates back to its upright position and you glide past a space bus giving tours of the outer moons and of Mars's great mountain/canyons

Scene 12 - Europa "Sea Castle"
artistsconceptmain-full_1.jpg

Gliding even further into deep space, and you go under the icy oceans of Europa to find an underwater habitat.

Scene 13 - Asteroid Mining "Brava Centauri"
e302ac868cff49e1a0d1b79d0d2c3666.jpg

Even further out into space and you go into an asteroid where NASA is mining it for its minerals.

Descent (Back to Earth)
Your vehicles go back down to the ground level (and back to earth)

Scene 14 - Progress into Century 22
delaney_spaceshow.jpg

The final scene shows earth in the last days of Century 22 -- embodying the spirit of "if you can dream it, you can do it"

---------------------------------------------------------

This kind of combined the original Horizons with the concept for the Space Pavilion at Epcot. I feel like having all of the options in outer space, with the first half of the attraction focusing on earth and Progress City, would be a natural progression in well..."progress"

It would make sense for humans to want to venture to the great beyond, and have that be the focal point of the 2nd half of the attraction. This way it also adds a bit of originality to the attraction, and gives it a different flavor.

We don't have to keep all or any of this -- but as of now...this is the best I can do. Comments/Feedback welcome! Thanks!

OvertheHorizon

Overview

For the scene by scene ride-through, this could very well change for the final version, but I hit on something after watching Martin's Horizons video again this morning. In that...to me, only having gone on the attraction as a small child and never actually experiencing it now, it's tough to wrap my head around how that attraction as it was would fit in today's climate. It really set itself up for the sets to become outdated very quickly. For such a technologically advanced attraction, it was built in 1983...only 17 years before the 21st century. If ever redone, the next "Horizons" attraction, would have to be a complete remodel (like what we are doing) otherwise, it wouldn't make sense with the times. It would feel outdated, like the 50s future theme felt again as I watched the ride-through this morning.

Also as we've said - while I love the long dark rides, there should be some "thrill" aspect to the attraction...not where it requires a height requirement though or speeds up. I came up with a system for the "rapid ascent" except it isn't that rapid.

I know we had mentioned a trackless system for this attraction, but since we've made the turn back to being more inspired by the original, I've assumed the same ride system as the 1983 version of the attraction...except with one major adjustment, and that being the ascent and descent portions.

The ride system will lean back as it did in the original version, however the bottom of the vehicle will clip onto another guiding track, tilting the vehicles onto their backs for the ascent, which will be a 360 space tunnel (explained later) soaring through the stars. Having the vehicles pushed back will have gravity pushed onto the guests, and the swirling video screens around you will add the thrill portion, without having to add the stop/start ride system. Everything will flow together as one.

While some of the story-lines of the 21st century and props would be outdated in today's climate -- the message is definitely not. If you can dream it, you can do it. The progress of tomorrow, today. That spirit is the general spirit of Epcot and that will be something seen throughout the attraction. It will also have tie-ins to the Carousel of Progress and Walt Disney's Progress City. I agree that we should introduce Progress City in the opening video....and then in the attraction, I spend the majority of the beginning of the attraction going through Progress City, seeing how life has progressed on earth. Faster travel, home living, etc.

Basically, I skipped the Jules Verne, 50s future, etc of the attraction...and we start right off with the Carousel of Progress family in the future, living in the suburbs of Progress City Epcot.

As you'll see in the description -- after a while in progress city, the attraction then transitions into an image of the futuristic earth, its citizens, how we will protect and care for the earth (energy/communications/etc) and our pursuit of the great beyond...our universe.

You'll float to a moon base with the classic "space" horizons music playing and then your vehicles will reach the ascent portion, and blast off into the cosmos with interstellar organ music playing in the background. You vehicles land on Mars (similar to Mesa Verde), Europa, where you see an underwater colony (Sea Castle), and then to a mining asteroid in deep space (similar to brava centauri)

After visiting all of those places, you begin your descent back down to earth, where you've reached the end of the 22nd Century...and look beyond to the future Horizons.

The narration will still be done by the Mother and Father of the Carousel of Progress family. Here are some images to go along with the basic outline above.

Venture through the futuristic transportation systems, non-pollutant transport leading to...

Cars driving themselves through a neon superhighway. Safe travels and quick ventures to your destinations now in Progress City

Skyscrapers with rotating rooms for energy efficiency - taking in the solar rays to provide electricity to the rooms.

Scene 4 - Transition

Progress10.jpg

You fade back for a view of Progress City from afar. As you do that, your vehicles tilt back and you see the massive Spaceship Earth ball, which then transforms into earth itself, which you glide towards.

As you look at the greater earth, you see cities across the world taking inspiration from Progress City...from Europe, to Asia, to South America -- you see all continents adapting to the Century 22 living. The buildings then bend over as you transition into the "Future World"

A colony with the capacity of deep space travel...a foreshadow of what is to come on your journey.

You board the Future World Colony which drops you off in the earth's atmosphere - where satellites and drones whiz by you, calculating solar radiation data, weather patterns, and communications throughout the world. This seen combines the themes of the Universe of Energy, Wonders of Life, The Land, and Spaceship Earth all in one.

Your vehicles rotating 180 degrees for a view into outer space. You pass the new and improved ISS and venture out to the new moon colony.

Scene 9 - Moon Base
moonbase.jpg

The moon colony features a dome and a complex of apartments and maintenance facilities owned by NASA.

Scene 10 - Transition
Narration by the family of how we strive to dream big in the 22nd century...there are no bounds to our exploration and discovery

Just start at 3:50 -- to me...this would be my favorite scene in the whole ride. Imagine millions of stars whizzing by you as the organ music plays and you feel gravity pressing down on you. It would create the illusion that you're going really fast.

epcotbus.jpg

Your vehicle rotates back to its upright position and you glide past a space bus giving tours of the outer moons and of Mars's great mountain/canyons

Gliding even further into deep space, and you go under the icy oceans of Europa to find an underwater habitat.

Even further out into space and you go into an asteroid where NASA is mining it for its minerals.

Descent (Back to Earth)

delaney_spaceshow.jpg

The final scene shows earth in the last days of Century 22 -- embodying the spirit of "if you can dream it, you can do it"

This kind of combined the original Horizons with the concept for the Space Pavilion at Epcot. I feel like having all of the options in outer space, with the first half of the attraction focusing on earth and Progress City, would be a natural progression in well..."progress"

It would make sense for humans to want to venture to the great beyond, and have that be the focal point of the 2nd half of the attraction. This way it also adds a bit of originality to the attraction, and gives it a different flavor.

We don't have to keep all or any of this -- but as of now...this is the best I can do. Comments/Feedback welcome! Thanks!

Thanks for your hard work on this. Let me take time to digest all of it. By tomorrow, I hope to start putting information on a website for this project.

OvertheHorizon

Yes, thanks for sharing! I rode this so many times between 1983 and 1999. It was my favorite attraction in Epcot. Honestly, most of the scenes depicted after the Omnimax movie are still relevant today, though I'm sure they would need updated with new AA's and script adjustments to take account of technology changes.

It is easy to see how Horizons was like a second generation version of the Carousel of Progress. Instead of looking back, it envisioned environments for the future.

QuillPenn

Original Poster
@spacemt354 Truly inspiring work. I think at this point, I'll probably take a back seat, and let you and @OvertheHorizon work your magic.

But just one random thought for your progress city hub scene:

How would it be that our story states that the vehicles we are in are on just one of the many lines that can be taken from progress city, (maybe even referencing the TTA Blue Line)

In my mind this would serve both the dual purpose of referencing Walt Disney's original vision for the People Mover in Progress City, as well as act as a somewhat vague acknowledgement to the fact that this is just one possible future. Since the truth is we really won't know what's over the Horizon until we get there.

OvertheHorizon

@spacemt354 Truly inspiring work. I think at this point, I'll probably take a back seat, and let you and @OvertheHorizon work your magic.

How would it be that our story states that the vehicles we are in are on just one of the many lines that can be taken from progress city, (maybe even referencing the TTA Blue Line)

In my mind this would serve both the dual purpose of referencing Walt Disney's original vision for the People Mover in Progress City, as well as act as a somewhat vague acknowledgement to the fact that this is just one possible future. Since the truth is we really won't know what's over the Horizon until we get there.
Thanks, QuilPenn! We want you to continue to chime in with your comments and ideas. Good luck with you show (and future shows).

OvertheHorizon

My first thought of the morning is that perhaps Century 22 is misleading. It doesn't start for another 83 years, and I'm not sure if we want to create a vision of the "future" that far away (in truth, it's already been done in the Star Trek series), but rather one that guests can more easily identify with and "anticipate the possibilities." I'll have website ideas to share later today. (Fingers crossed)

spacemt354

Chili's
My first thought of the morning is that perhaps Century 22 is misleading. It doesn't start for another 83 years, and I'm not sure if we want to create a vision of the "future" that far away (in truth, it's already been done in the Star Trek series), but rather one that guests can more easily identify with and "anticipate the possibilities." I'll have website ideas to share later today. (Fingers crossed)
Personally I think we did the attraction a service by putting the goal that are off in the future...because it won't have to change. Even the original Horizons for the 21st Century - I doubt it was talking about 17 years from now we will be colonizing space. It was most likely looking 50-100 years into the future (like 2083 - still in the 21st century)

If we put the future at 2034 - exactly 17 years away, same as Horizons -- that'll come up very fast.

spacemt354

Chili's

Thank you Quill! I like the touch of adding the Blue Line peoplemover -- I think it's subtle enough where it doesn't draw attention away from the ride, but also important to Walt's vision.

FigmentPigments

Overview

Scene 4 - Transition

Progress10.jpg

Scene 9 - Moon Base
moonbase.jpg

Scene 10 - Transition

epcotbus.jpg

Descent (Back to Earth)

delaney_spaceshow.jpg

This is really amazing!

I've been away for a while, but will the family make it seem like the guests are passive observers? Would the message of Horizons be better communicated if the guests are the stars? Just a thought, no worries if this has already been decided. :)

OvertheHorizon

I know that there is a desire to put this pavilion in Progressland, but for those interested in discussing the new Century 22 pavilion can we do it here so that thoughts are easier to keep track of?

I'm tagging people who have expressed interest in working on this. Have I missed anyone?

@spacemt354 @Poe Dameron @StevenU

A reminder, this is the website I put together for this: century22pavilion.weebly.com

This afternoon, I plan to compile a list of new technological innovations that could be incorporated into the IMAX film.

I'm envisioning the narration for the film to start like this:

"You've shared a few of your aspirations for what the future might look like and heard Walt Disney's vision for his Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Whatever the future brings, we know that it will take what we've learned in the past and build on the achievements of the present. Our curiosity propels us to seek new and innovative ways of doing things, making our lives easier, healthier, and more productive. For example, DNA was first discovered in the 1860s, but its structure wasn't identified until 1953. Since then the work of the human genome project is producing practical information to help medical science."

From there, we'd describe a few of those current innovations and then move on to other areas of innovation.

Thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom