Mickey Monitor Entry 1 : New Epcot Pavilion (Horizons Thread)

spacemt354

Chili's
I've attempted to create a survey to which guests would respond soon after entering the first theater. There is nothing magical about this, and my ego isn't invested in it so strongly, so feel free to make suggestions, changes, etc.

As I think about this more, I imagine it would be best to have guests address these questions right after they enter the first theater, then a curtain could raise revealing the Walt Disney audioanimatronic for a welcome and a few wise visionary words before the theater revolves. I mentioned an IMAX movie to follow (keying off of what @spacemt354 suggestion previously). I think the logical subject matter for that presentation is to present research and innovations currently in process which will impact the way we lead our lives 10, 20, 30 years from now.

What do you think?

CENTURY 22 – Future Choice Survey

Guests make selections from a touch screen in front of their theater seat.

Tell us a little about yourself:

Male Female

Under 18 19 – 30 30 – 50 Over 50

Current living status:

City Suburbs Rural

Thinking about YOUR future, what’s most important for you and your family?

A. Living in a safe, functioning community

B. Maintaining my health

C. Plenty of time for leisure and travel

IF “A” is selected:

Guests would be shown several pictures and asked which of these visions for the future most appeals to you.

A. A futuristic world, such as depicted in the movie Tomorrowland.

B. A gleaming high rise city environment.

C. A tranquil street scene.

D. An isolated home surrounded by nature.

Depending on the responses to these questions, there would be one more set of pictures for guests to refine their choice of what most appeals to them – this time using interior home environment imagery.

IF “B” is selected:

Guests would be shown several pictures and asked which of these visions they had in mind when selecting the maintaining health choice.

A. Pictures depicting a healthy lifestyle (walking, swimming, gym).

B. Pictures of food depicting a balanced nutritional lifestyle.

C. Pictures of medical diagnostic services in comfortable surroundings.

Depending on the responses to these questions, there would be one more set of pictures for guests to refine their choice of refine their interest in their health.

IF “C” is selected:

Guests would first be asked to refine which of leisure or travel most appealed to them.

Those selecting “leisure” would be asked to further refine their choice by selecting from:

A. Sporting activities

B. Cultural activities

C. Individual pursuits such as reading, crossword puzzles, etc.

D. Group pursuits such as games, socializing, etc.

Those selecting “travel” would be asked to further refine their choice by selecting from:

A. Cruising

B. Visiting parks

C. Partaking of the urban lifestyle

D. Relaxing beach setting
Looks great to me!

OvertheHorizon

So anyone have any more thoughts on this?

I know @MonorailRed will chime in hopefully this weekend. But if anyone else has any thoughts/opinions on how the ride is shaping up please say so!

If not, @OvertheHorizon I say we press on.
Yes, I'm hoping more will get involved. Otherwise it's just you and me. @QuillPenn had interesting ideas, but I know he's in the middle of a theatrical production at the moment.

OvertheHorizon

@OvertheHorizon - Your concept is incredible! :D Awesome work!
Thanks, Red! I've contributed a few ideas, but so has @spacemt354 and @QuillPenn. Feel free to jump in with ideas you may have. I'm still a little stymied by the ride portion of this attraction... we need all the brain power that's available for that.

Later this morning, I'm going to work on finding quotes about the future, which would line the walls of the queue.

OvertheHorizon

@spacemt354 I kinda like this idea (from a design for a performing arts center in Taipei). It is "futuristic looking," and would, I think, fit in with the Future World aesthetic. The gleaming white color suggests a "blank canvas" on which to write the future. If we decide to use that speed lift concept, we'd need a pavilion at least 85 feet tall (about half of the height of Spaceship Earth. If the taller portion of this were placed at the rear of the current Festival/WoL building location it wouldn't distract from the predominance of Spaceship Earth as the Epcot symbol. Thoughts? Anybody else feel free to chime in.
upload_2017-4-9_10-11-9.png

spacemt354

Chili's
@spacemt354 I kinda like this idea (from a design for a performing arts center in Taipei). It is "futuristic looking," and would, I think, fit in with the Future World aesthetic. The gleaming white color suggests a "blank canvas" on which to write the future. If we decide to use that speed lift concept, we'd need a pavilion at least 85 feet tall (about half of the height of Spaceship Earth. If the taller portion of this were placed at the rear of the current Festival/WoL building location it wouldn't distract from the predominance of Spaceship Earth as the Epcot symbol. Thoughts? Anybody else feel free to chime in.
View attachment 199039
I agree -- almost like the pavilion proper could be 3-4 stories, but the speed lift portion goes up to 80 feet or so -- that would work and be a different design than the rest of the pavilions.

OvertheHorizon

Here are a series of quotes that I envision being used as part of the queue. They would be randomly projected onto a flat wall as guests enter the queue. These and many others would be part of the rotating quotes, so that even if a guest is visiting the pavilion for multiple times they might have the experience of seeing a random quote for the first time. (This is only the initial part of the queue, other queue ideas were discussed above.)

“Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.”
Malcolm X

“Study the past if you would define the future.”
Confucius

“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”
Mother Teresa

“The future depends on what you do today.”
Mahatma Gandhi

“I regret that I was born too soon. Imagine the height to which we may be carried in a thousand years, the power of man over matter. Perhaps we will learn to deprive large masses of their gravity and give them levity for easy transport. Agriculture may diminish its labor and double its produce; all diseases may be prevented or cured, including even old age—our lives lengthened at pleasure beyond Methuselah.”
Benjamin Franklin

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
Eleanor Roosevelt

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
R. Buckminster Fuller

“Our greatest hopes could become reality in the future. With the technology at our disposal, the possibilities are unbounded. All we need to do is make sure we keep talking.”
Stephen Hawking

“The best way to predict your future is to create it.”
Abraham Lincoln

“The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine.”
Nikola Tesla

“When you make a choice, you change the future.”
Deepak Chopra

“It is possible to believe that all the past is but the beginning of a beginning, and that all that is and has been is but the twilight of the dawn. It is possible to believe that all the human mind has ever accomplished is but the dream before the awakening.”
H.G. Wells

“Love is the only future God offers.”
Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

“Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming”
David Bowie

“Would you like to know your future?
If your answer is yes, think again. Not knowing is the greatest life motivator.
So enjoy, endure, survive each moment as it comes to you in its proper sequence -- a surprise.”
Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration

“If you don't build your dream someone will hire you to help build theirs.”
Tony A. Gaskins Jr.

“Trying to predict the future is like trying to drive down a country road at night with no lights while looking out the back window.”
Peter F. Drucker

“Yesterday is but to-day’s memory and to-morrow is to-day’s dream.”
Kahlil Gibran

“There is hope in dreams, imagination, and in the courage of those who wish to make those dreams a reality.”
Jonas Salk

“And a lot of it will be wrong, but just enough of it will be right.”
Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

“Your future is only as bright as your mind is open.”
Rich Wilkins

“The direction in which education starts a man will determine his future life”
Plato

“The new world is as yet
behind the veil of destiny
In my eyes, however
its dawn has been unveiled”
Muhammad Iqbal

“Am I worried about the future? I don't know. When I think of the word it's like seeing a cavity, a space where a tooth used to be.”
Kirsty Eagar, Raw Blue

“It is said that the present is pregnant with the future.”
Voltaire

“C'mon, let's get out of here. I have a future to attend to.”
Melissa Good, Tropical Storm

“Children are the world's most valuable resource and its best hope for the future.”
John F. Kennedy

“In 5-billion years the Sun will expand & engulf our orbit as the charred ember that was once Earth vaporizes. Have a nice day.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

“We can't rightly ever talk about the future, if you think about it. We can only talk about what we imagine or wish for. It's not the same thing.”
M.L. Stedman

“One mustn't dream of one's future; one must earn it.”
Carlos Ruiz Zafón

“We are told we must choose — the old or the new. In fact, we must choose both. What is a life if not a series of negotiations between the old and the new?"
Susan Sontag

“Invest in the future because that is where you are going to spend the rest of your life.”
Habeeb Akande

OvertheHorizon

I'm researching the trackless ride system and trying to figure out how best to handle the idea of the "speed lift" at the end of the ride. I'm also trying to do that while at the same time ensure a decent capacity for the ride. Doing the math and figuring 1800 people per minute, which is also what makes the integration of the "speed lift" important to this process.

OvertheHorizon

Here is my first take on the configuration of the pavilion.Entry and exit would be from open archway areas. The ride vehicles would be visible through the exit archway.

I envision using a trackless ride vehicle seating 8 people (four people per row). Guests would have to wear seat belts. As the vehicles near the end of the display portion of the ride, they will diverge onto one of two sets of speed lifts. Before being lifted, guests will see a model of Disney's perspective on Progress City. Following the thrill of the lift, the vehicles will move across a stationary deck (between E and F on the plan). F is a descent elevator. The vehicles will rotate and as the elevator slowly descends six stories, on a screen in front of them guests will see visual images of the future they designed for themselves in the first theater. Once at ground level, the vehicles will rotate again and follow the path shown with purple arrows to the unload point.

upload_2017-4-9_17-21-19.png

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm researching the trackless ride system and trying to figure out how best to handle the idea of the "speed lift" at the end of the ride. I'm also trying to do that while at the same time ensure a decent capacity for the ride. Doing the math and figuring 1800 people per minute, which is also what makes the integration of the "speed lift" important to this process.
There could be different stop segments implemented throughout the ride to allow for a transition into each segment, timed so that the lift ascent has enough time to take a car up, then glide back down into place...similar to how expedition everest has the top sections to switch the track going backwards/forwards

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom