Comparisons To Expedition Everest Drop

LeighM

I used to love roller coasters - the larger and faster the better! But then something happened to my ear in my 20s and I can't do any of them now! So disappointing. The last coaster I did scrambled my brain - think it was Outer Limits at Kings Dominion in Virginia. For me, it was easier to ride a coaster if it had the over the shoulder harness. The lap bar never made me feel very secure. And I could never do any coaster that went backwards. So as a teen, I had an easier time on the more intense coasters than the ones with a lap bar. In October, I rode Seven Dwarfs Mine Train to see if I was still having that issue with my ears and equilibrium on coasters. And yes, yes I do LOL. But I'm still going to try Big Thunder Mountain next time I'm there and I'm being optimistic that one won't affect me:confused: Good luck. If you don't have any medical issue stopping you then you should ride it once. You never know until you try :)

AndrewsJ

Honestly the backward drop is all in the dark and you cant see anything though I will say it too is mild mostly just a shock of going backwards in a turn in the dark.
Also I think its more about where you sit for instance if you sit in the very front you will have the initial "scare" of seeing the drops first but the train is catching up behind you so its more of a smoother ride. However this changes during the backward drop.
The very back is usually the roughest seat as you are being pulled along by the train and since Everest is supposed to be an old tea train the ride has a rickety feel. (once again this changes during the backward drop)
Your best bet would be to sit somewhere in the middle of the train where you will have an "even" sensation between the to extremes.
The backward part creates a very strange internal sensation. I would think someone easily rattled would be petrified.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I used to love roller coasters - the larger and faster the better! But then something happened to my ear in my 20s and I can't do any of them now! So disappointing. The last coaster I did scrambled my brain - think it was Outer Limits at Kings Dominion in Virginia. For me, it was easier to ride a coaster if it had the over the shoulder harness. The lap bar never made me feel very secure. And I could never do any coaster that went backwards. So as a teen, I had an easier time on the more intense coasters than the ones with a lap bar. In October, I rode Seven Dwarfs Mine Train to see if I was still having that issue with my ears and equilibrium on coasters. And yes, yes I do LOL. But I'm still going to try Big Thunder Mountain next time I'm there and I'm being optimistic that one won't affect me:confused: Good luck. If you don't have any medical issue stopping you then you should ride it once. You never know until you try :)
I wonder if it's hormonal or a survival mechanism, but I've noticed the same thing in my own family.

LeighM

I wonder if it's hormonal or a survival mechanism, but I've noticed the same thing in my own family.

It's not fair LOL. I once rode Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg 7 times in a row and never had an issue. Now I get lightheaded just watching it :) Totally pathetic....

Disney.Mike

EE is a really mild coaster. The drop on it isnt bad... not like 6 flags coaster bad. Honestly the scariest part of EE is the initial open air climb, if you dont like heights.

The ride itself is mild.

righttrack

EE has a variety of sensations and ride "moments". Some are intense, (the backwards drop and the section right after the big drop), some are mild, and just different. Nothing lasts for very long time-wise. In that regard it is tolerable. Anything that is intense is over quickly. You don't have intensity the whole ride. If you're curious and you can do the other rides you mention, you should be fine.

As I allude to above, I find the section after the drop more intense than the drop itself, in fact the uphill section going back into the mountain feels like I pull more G's than the drop itself. Again, nothing lasts very long. It's not like other coasters where you're doing the same thing for very long.

Bacon

My opinion of WDW intense roller coaster comparisons:

EE - Intense (escpecially the backwards part) and even more so at night
ToT - Intense, multiple drops that take ones stomach
SpaceM - Calm compared to EE and ToT; it has maybe one big drop but it fails in comparison to EE for the hill drop
SplashM - Calm with one medium drop in the end
Rockin Rollercoaster - Intense, most of which is the beginning shoot off

(And just FYI - these are all very fun!)

P.S. Simulators are not listed because I can't do them at all. I get terrible vertigo. I can ride roller coasters all day that flip upside down and what not, but simulators throw off my equilibrium like no tomorrow.

P.S.S. I was a huge scaredy cat of roller coasters until I got on Top Gun in Carowinds (when that ride was properly named IMO). You will always have the pre-ride-butterflies regardless of what ride you go on next...heck I get pre-ride-butterflies before I go on PoC still
TOT? :confused:

graphite1326

Of all the drops in WDW to me Splash Mt. is the most intense. Surprisingly, the drops on EE, even though they are quite high, do not give me the stomach drop sensation. In fact I get no sensation at all. It's like the drop in MT Railroad which really mild but longer.

Let you give you some advise I gave myself while sitting on the sidelines while the rest of my family was having fun. It's only going to be a few seconds of discomfort. I can either go for it and put up with the discomfort and have the fun everyone else is having or sit on the sidelines and always wonder what I am missing. So I went for it. I found if you YELL as you drop and it relieves some of the stress you are feeling. Really that works. After a few rides with drops you get used to it and they aren't so bad. In fact they become a lot of fun. In other words, stop being a wheeny. (kidding, I'm a kidder).

BackOTheLine

Just to pile on... I am also a dropping weenie. I don't mind high speed, upside down or twists and turns but hate drops. I've been trying to be better so my 6 year old doesn't develop any weenie like tendencies...

The drops in EE are mild for me...like a previous poster mentioned Splash Mtn is worse fro me as well. The backwards/dark part is the most intense. At a point it almost gives the sensation of going upside down as it climbs into the curb. To prepare my daughter to ride it (she was 5) we watched the video on YouTube and counted how long it (the dark part) lasted. We we rode it she could do the counting as something to concentrate on and know when it was going to be over. Seemed to work. Part of getting over some of my weenieness includes trying to make a good funny face for the ride photo. It gives me something to focus on other than the fear of certain doom. Sill a weenie though...

21stamps

I noticed last summer than I started to get queasy with heights. I was at the top of a ride called Drop Tower, and my palms started sweating..I just felt weird. Same thing happened when I was standing at the top of an attraction called the Eiffel Tower (not the one in Paris). I couldn't believe it..I'm an adrenaline junkie and have never once been scared of heights..ever!!

I called and made an appointment with my GP the following day.
She basically told me that I'm getting old, and sometimes fear can show up around my age, kind of like what @larryz said.
I was furious. My kid is Too Young right now for me to develop an odd fear of heights. It doesn't happen on rollercoasters, only when standing or slow moving. I have been on Drop Tower probably 15 times since that doctor's appt.. every time my hands sweat and I feel an odd nervous sensation.. but I REFUSE to give in to it! I'm hoping that eventually it will just go away.

dylan313

What's more intense than the drops is the G force from the turns and such. Especially the part when you go backwards and it feels like you're going upside down but you're really not. I don't think the drop itself is that bad.

LeighM

I noticed last summer than I started to get queasy with heights. I was at the top of a ride called Drop Tower, and my palms started sweating..I just felt weird. Same thing happened when I was standing at the top of an attraction called the Eiffel Tower (not the one in Paris). I couldn't believe it..I'm an adrenaline junkie and have never once been scared of heights..ever!!

I called and made an appointment with my GP the following day.
She basically told me that I'm getting old, and sometimes fear can show up around my age, kind of like what @larryz said.
I was furious. My kid is Too Young right now for me to develop an odd fear of heights. It doesn't happen on rollercoasters, only when standing or slow moving. I have been on Drop Tower probably 15 times since that doctor's appt.. every time my hands sweat and I feel an odd nervous sensation.. but I REFUSE to give in to it! I'm hoping that eventually it will just go away.

Fingers crossed for you! When I was younger, I absolutely loved heights!!!! My mom and grandmother were afraid of heights so Granddaddy would always take me on the space needles, towers, etc. But when I was in my 20's, like I said, something happened to my inner ear, and now I can't do any of it. I have vertigo as well. Can't do spiral staircases at all without major embarrassment. Can't walk on stairs that don't have the risers bw steps. I'm still not afraid of heights but I just can't do it LOL. And your son doesn't have a fear of heights does he? :) I am concerned about the cruise next year. I'm planning to take bonine before and after to help but I get horrible pain in my ears from the plane that takes weeks to improve and, thanks to that combined with my migraines, I am also prone land sickness just laying in my bed doing a bunch of nothing. One time was so bad, I couldn't even walk across the floor, but had to crawl. Thankfully I was still at home!!!

21stamps

Fingers crossed for you! When I was younger, I absolutely loved heights!!!! My mom and grandmother were afraid of heights so Granddaddy would always take me on the space needles, towers, etc. But when I was in my 20's, like I said, something happened to my inner ear, and now I can't do any of it. I have vertigo as well. Can't do spiral staircases at all without major embarrassment. Can't walk on stairs that don't have the risers bw steps. I'm still not afraid of heights but I just can't do it LOL. And your son doesn't have a fear of heights does he? :) I am concerned about the cruise next year. I'm planning to take bonine before and after to help but I get horrible pain in my ears from the plane that takes weeks to improve and, thanks to that combined with my migraines, I am also prone land sickness just laying in my bed doing a bunch of nothing. One time was so bad, I couldn't even walk across the floor, but had to crawl. Thankfully I was still at home!!!
Thanks!

I'm so sorry that happened to you! It's why my knee jerk reaction was - "something must be medically wrong with me". I've been skydiving 3 times, I loved cliff diving (up until I had my son- then I quit doing it), I have NEVER been scared of heights. Turns out, there's no medical excuse for me..just old age and apparent fear. I'm going to fight it until it goes away! My son definitely doesn't have a fear of heights.

Good luck on your cruise! I actually get migraines and ended up starting Botox treatments for them, maybe 6 years ago. You may want to talk to your doctor about it, especially before your cruise.

LeighM

Thanks!

I'm so sorry that happened to you! It's why my knee jerk reaction was - "something must be medically wrong with me". I've been skydiving 3 times, I loved cliff diving (up until I had my son- then I quit doing it), I have NEVER been scared of heights. Turns out, there's no medical excuse for me..just old age and apparent fear. I'm going to fight it until it goes away! My son definitely doesn't have a fear of heights.

Good luck on your cruise! I actually get migraines and ended up starting Botox treatments for them, maybe 6 years ago. You may want to talk to your doctor about it, especially before your cruise.

My primary doctor would be scared approving that for me LOL. I can just see his face now. I'm the type of person that experiences side effects for everything. I'm laughing so hard right now imagining my doctor :) I would rather just have the fear. That can be beaten and gotten over. And you can still go about having so much fun afterwards. Although maybe not the drop towers :) Does Tower of Terror bother you now too? I haven't been able to do that one even thought it's inside bc I don't know how intense it is.

21stamps

My primary doctor would be scared approving that for me LOL. I can just see his face now. I'm the type of person that experiences side effects for everything. I'm laughing so hard right now imagining my doctor :) I would rather just have the fear. That can be beaten and gotten over. And you can still go about having so much fun afterwards. Although maybe not the drop towers :) Does Tower of Terror bother you now too? I haven't been able to do that one even thought it's inside bc I don't know how intense it is.
Ahh ok.

But, no! I'm totally fine on ToT.. and also on any extreme thrill rollercoaster. The first time I felt it was when sitting still on the top of this ride..
I'm fine on the drop! It's so strange.
IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

And then I felt dizzy and sweaty palms when standing at the top of this...
I've done them both hundreds of times before.. 1 is not even a ride!!!

IMG_2870.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom