News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

bhg469

So you just discount the fact that I used to live there, and know exactly what else is out there?? :confused: Oh, and like @GoofGoof , we have relatives still living only a short distance away that we drive over for several times a year. We don't do Disney on those either. The Disney fix is immersive. The other visits, not so much.
I guess I find it difficult because I get a chance to go once a year because work brings me down there. I don't think I can bring myself to pay for an admission to the place until you story land, star wars and Pandora are open and operating well.

If you've spent more than a week there in the past 5 years you're getting less and paying more... A good amount more. I don't see the need to revisit the place other than hanging out at epcot after the sun goes down but thanks to the bean counters you're ushered out not too long after the sun goes down.

I guess I'm one of the few that is impressed with everything else more than I am with what little Disney has done to keep my money.

As a matter of fact my work had me in Lakeland this year and took a trip to Disney springs later in the day and my gps routed me off of I4 somewhere between Lakeland and champions gate.

I had more fun going down a back road, slowing down and smelling a real orange grove than I did browsing the shops. Lots of browsing happening there too, definitely not much buying.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I guess I find it difficult because I get a chance to go once a year because work brings me down there. I don't think I can bring myself to pay for an admission to the place until you story land, star wars and Pandora are open and operating well.

If you've spent more than a week there in the past 5 years you're getting less and paying more... A good amount more. I don't see the need to revisit the place other than hanging out at epcot after the sun goes down but thanks to the bean counters you're ushered out not too long after the sun goes down.

I guess I'm one of the few that is impressed with everything else more than I am with what little Disney has done to keep my money.

As a matter of fact my work had me in Lakeland this year and took a trip to Disney springs later in the day and my gps routed me off of I4 somewhere between Lakeland and champions gate.

I had more fun going down a back road, slowing down and smelling a real orange grove than I did browsing the shops. Lots of browsing happening there too, definitely not much buying.
Well, having spent more than a week there in the last month, we have to disagree. Being DVC members for a long time, plus AP holders, makes the multiple trips to Disney much more affordable, and to us, still a great value. We don't go there just for the parks like many do, as there is so much more to do and see besides the parks.

If you don't see the need to visit, well, that's fine, I don't judge you for that, but don't judge those of us that still find tons of value there.

raven

To think and imply that I have blinders on to the fact that the Orlando area has much to offer for many different wants/needs/tastes is simply inane and insulting.
Well guess what? You just did it again:
...just to save a few bucks on souvenirs or get food at a chain restaurant that's also 10 minutes from their house.
You keep saying that there's nothing outside of Disney property except the same things you can get back home. And you still haven't stepped foot outside to prove this for yourself.

raven

It's crazy how much the area is developed. If I visited for a week every year for the next decade and never set foot on Disney or Universal property I still probably wouldn't have enough time to do everything and definitely not enough time to hit all the restaurants. If you live locally and actually make enough money to do a lot of this stuff on a regular basis it must be pretty amazing. I guess you would get sick of us tourists though:cool:
Been here almost 9 years and still finding new adventures and more are being built all the time!

21stamps

Well guess what? You just did it again:

You keep saying that there's nothing outside of Disney property except the same things you can get back home. And you still haven't stepped foot outside to prove this for yourself.

I think what he is actually saying is that when he is at Disney World, on a Disney vacation.. then he doesn't care to go offsite for food and souvenirs.

raven

I think what he is actually saying is that when he is at Disney World, on a Disney vacation.. then he doesn't care to go offsite for food and souvenirs.
In his original post though he asked what else is offsite besides snacks and drinks. Thus implying he's never been offsite to even make that judgement.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
In his original post though he asked what else is offsite besides snacks and drinks. Thus implying he's never been offsite to even make that judgement.
Maybe true, but why do you even care that he has no desire to visit off-site? I would think you'd want all the rubes to stay on-site and keep them off the local roads. You're encouraging more lousy drivers who have no clue how to get somewhere, so that you can then complain about them being in your way, when you do know how to get somewhere. Makes no sense to me at all.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe true, but why do you even care that he has no desire to visit off-site? I would think you'd want all the rubes to stay on-site and keep them off the local roads. You're encouraging more lousy drivers who have no clue how to get somewhere, so that you can then complain about them being in your way, when you do know how to get somewhere. Makes no sense to me at all.
In defense though locals in FL don't drive much better than the tourists;). FL is not NJ bad, but still not exactly known for good drivers.

raven

1. I have no issue with people who only want to stay on property. But I take issue with them when they proclaim that there's nothing much else to do in Orlando other than Disney when they haven't experienced it first hand. That statement is completely untrue.
2. There are a thousand more tourism things to do in Central Florida other than Disney and those businesses need that business in order for the economy to thrive. You'd be surprised at the stuff that is out there that you didn't even know about.

I have friends that are staying on property this week and they are blaming me for not making an effort to visit them. But they've filled every day from morning until night with an agenda at Disney, leaving no room for any such visit.

It's ok to plan, and it's fun to plan, but try not to overplan. It leaves you no time to discover something new when you stumble upon it for fear of getting behind schedule. I've done this myself both at Disney in the past and in NYC until I loosened up and tried to just go with the flow and actually take in the surroundings. Much less stressfull for me and I got to see a lot more than what I was expecting.

21stamps

1. I have no issue with people who only want to stay on property. But I take issue with them when they proclaim that there's nothing much else to do in Orlando other than Disney when they haven't experienced it first hand. That statement is completely untrue.
2. There are a thousand more tourism things to do in Central Florida other than Disney and those businesses need that business in order for the economy to thrive. You'd be surprised at the stuff that is out there that you didn't even know about.

I have friends that are staying on property this week and they are blaming me for not making an effort to visit them. But they've filled every day from morning until night with an agenda at Disney, leaving no room for any such visit.

It's ok to plan, and it's fun to plan, but try not to overplan. It leaves you no time to discover something new when you stumble upon it for fear of getting behind schedule. I've done this myself both at Disney in the past and in NYC until I loosened up and tried to just go with the flow and actually take in the surroundings. Much less stressfull for me and I got to see a lot more than what I was expecting.

Some people, including myself, would never care to spend a week in Orlando as a vacation.

Yes, there's things to do there, but look at it from a point of view from people up north.. why go to Florida and not go to the ocean? If they are going with Orlando as their destination, it probably has to do with some or all of the theme parks.

Like I said, I have been to Orlando probably hundreds of times without ever going near Disney.. but I went because I have friends there, for weekend trips. Outside of theme parks, Orlando's "things to do" are much like any other city's "things to do list" list

raven

Outside of theme parks, Orlando's "things to do" are much like any other city's "things to do list" list
Oh that's right! I forgot that every city has airboat rides, water parks open year 'round, mega ferries wheels, aquariums and wax museums, skydiving and hot air balloon rides, ice bars, about 15 separate escape room companies, 10 or more dinner theatre experiences, a NASA launch pad nearby, a beach on the ocean an hour in both directions and the worlds tallest roller coaster being built soon.

Silly me for not partaking in all of that in the frozen north every winter and only going to the mall instead. In fact I don't know why this area is the World's #1 Tourist Destination when they can just do the same things at home. My bad.

jakeman

Oh that's right! I forgot that every city has airboat rides, water parks open year 'round, mega ferries wheels, aquariums and wax museums, skydiving and hot air balloon rides, ice bars, about 15 separate escape room companies, 10 or more dinner theatre experiences, a NASA launch pad nearby, a beach on the ocean an hour in both directions and the worlds tallest roller coaster being built soon.

Silly me for not partaking in all of that in the frozen north every winter and only going to the mall instead. In fact I don't know why this area is the World's #1 Tourist Destination when they can just do the same things at home. My bad.
Eh, if the city itself is supposed to be the destination, Orlando wouldn't be near the top of my list. That's not diminishing the things you listed, it's just not, to me, a destination city unto itself.

21stamps

Take a breath.. I wasn't insulting Orlando.lol but a lot of those things are in pretty much any city.

I think you skipped over my post until the last sentence.. the Beach/ocean part. If someone is going to Florida, without theme parks in mind, for a vacation, they will probably choose to be near the beach.

raven

Take a breath.. I wasn't insulting Orlando.lol but a lot of those things are in pretty much any city.

I think you skipped over my post until the last sentence.. the Beach/ocean part. If someone is going to Florida, without theme parks in mind, for a vacation, they will probably choose to be near the beach.
I'd love to see photos "a lot of those things in pretty much any city." And people do choose to be near the beach. But then again a lot of them usually spend a day or two in this area as well, and not just for Disney.

21stamps

I'd love to see photos "a lot of those things in pretty much any city." And people do choose to be near the beach. But then again a lot of them usually spend a day or two in this area as well, and not just for Disney.

I don't live in a high (not really any at all) tourist area, and my current city has a lot of what you listed.

I am not saying that Orlando is a bad place. I am saying that it is the #1 tourist place because of the theme parks, not the city.

I also agree that Orlando without parks is fun..for a few days.. which is exactly what my first post said.

Having spent most of my life living in South Florida, there is not much that Orlando had for me- besides HHN, and theme parks..and Fun Spot. I went because I have friends there.. not because there was nothing to do in the Palm Beach/Ft Lauderdale/Miami area. Again, I've always had fun in Orlando, I'm not attacking it.. just saying that outside of parks there are a lot more attractive Week Long vacation options. Even for me now, and I no longer live in Florida. But- if you ask me if I'd rather spend a week in Orlando- no theme parks OR a week in the Keys or the Fl coast.. I won't choose Orlando, even with friends there lol.

raven

I don't live in a high tourist area, and my current city has a lot of what you listed.

I am not saying that Orlando is a bad place. I am saying that it is the #1 tourist place because of the theme parks, not the city.

I also agree that Orlando without parks is fun..for a few days.. which is exactly what my first post said.

Having spent most of my life living in South Florida, there is not much that Orlando had for me- besides HHN, and theme parks..and Fun Spot. I went because I have friends there.. not because there was nothing to do in the Palm Beach/Ft Lauderdale/Miami area. Again, I've always had fun in Orlando, I'm not attacking it.. just saying that outside of parks there are a lot more attractive Week Long vacation options.
Those outside options are growing every day though. Companies are flocking here to take advantage of the guests that are visiting outside the parks though. If you haven't been here in the past few years I invite you to take a look at how much has changed and has been added, or at least research into it. Last year I read in a local paper that there are more hotel rooms in the Orlando metro area here than there are in NYC and Vegas combined. Not just due to the parks but also for vacationers who want to relax.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Those outside options are growing every day though. Companies are flocking here to take advantage of the guests that are visiting outside the parks though. If you haven't been here in the past few years I invite you to take a look at how much has changed and has been added, or at least research into it. Last year I read in a local paper that there are more hotel rooms in the Orlando metro area here than there are in NYC and Vegas combined. Not just due to the parks but also for vacationers who want to relax.
I think it depends on how you define the metro areas. How far out do you consider a city's metro area? Last stats I saw Las Vegas was still #1 in the US with over 170,000 hotel rooms but Orlando moved ahead of NY for #2 on the list. To be bigger than Vegas and NY combined you would probably need to stretch from the gulf to the Atlantic in central FL and call that the Orlando area. Either way there's still a huge number of rooms in Orlando and it's all due to a guy who drew a mouse cartoon. Pretty crazy.

Edit: here's the stats from 2016:

IMG_0685.PNG

Last edited:

21stamps

I understand that.. but people have different preferences, for me- my preference is an ocean city rather than an inland one.
sitting on a beach, or in a boat, with a mojito in my hand- this is my idea of relaxation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom