The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

Is the golf course to the right or left in this picture?

To the right.
And, it sounds like you already know the Match Play Tournament started today. :) I drive past the Austin Country Club and golf course to and from the office on my commute. One of the partners took the rest of the week off to go to the tournament. It's only about 2 miles down the road (north) of our office.

Goofyernmost

To the right.
And, it sounds like you already know the Match Play Tournament started today. :) I drive past the Austin Country Club and golf course to and from the office on my commute. One of the partners took the rest of the week off to go to the tournament. It's only about 2 miles down the road (north) of our office.
Yes, I have been watching it. It seems to me that I remember you posting a picture once of that bridge. Must be that because when I saw it I thought about the fact that you live there in that area.

MOXOMUMD

Your family must have had very strong vertigo resistance... I honestly cant read in a car, I get horribly dissy and then vertigo for almost hours.
I read all the time in the car. Lots of trips Ohio-Texas-Ohio when I was a younger. We had a station wagon when I was little that had two bench seats in the back that would fold up from the floor and we could face each other. We also had a little black and white tv that we'd lay down and watch while on the road. Of course this was all before seatbelt laws.

donaldtoo

Yes, I have been watching it. It seems to me that I remember you posting a picture once of that bridge. Must be that because when I saw it I thought about the fact that you live there in that area.

Yep, I've posted pics with that bridge in 'em several times over the years.
Although they're runnin' a bunch of shuttles, traffic is still a bit nuttier with the tournament goin' on.
But that's the sacrifice we make to bring a major tournament to town. :rolleyes: ;) :)

ETA:
I posted a pic similar to this one several days ago, actually... :)

pennybacker-bridge-and-the-austin-skyline-autumn-colors.jpg

Last edited:

MOXOMUMD

Reading in a moving vehicle never bothered me. I had an hour bus ride home from school and I would work on homework or read. Most of the time I skipped the homework and read my book. I would do a lot of reading on family road trips as well. We would play some games too. I also liked the books with the magic pen that I would get at the Cracker Barrel, those were a hoot. Does anyone remember those?
I remember those. We had Mad Libs sometimes. Anyone remember those?

StarWarsGirl

Wow! That was just so Beautiful and Amazing!:happy: What an honor for you! What a thing to have on your resume!!
It was quite an experience. I spent about two weeks learning my part and making sure it was perfect. I bought a microphone for my computer to ensure the sound quality was good.

The recording part was the fun part. I had to have a dark background, so I hung up a dark blue sheet behind me. You had to use earbuds to hear as you were recording, but they had to be hidden. I think I did 20 different recordings until I was sure it was perfect. It took me a good two hours on the day I actually recorded between setup and all the takes. And then I wasn't even sure I had made it. Sopranos were most competitive; about 500 auditioned and only 150 were selected, and of course, I'd gone soprano. There were also some pretty amazing singers, lots of music teachers. When I found out I was in and had beat out some professionals, I think it was one of my proudest moments. I also was only barely 18 (you had to be 18 to audition), so I was one of the youngest in there, if not the youngest.

It's a pretty cool story to bring up now and then. :)

donaldtoo

I think between your recollections and that of @Gabe1 's, part of what I miss about the older cafeteria models was just the interaction between the customers and the food staff behind the counters. @Cesar R M , with a buffet style restaurant, the customer pays a fixed price and self-serves from a buffet section. There's nothing technically "wrong" with that in itself, and buffet restaurants are sometimes the way to go, under certain circumstances.

For me, maybe it's just a small thing; but the loss of so many of these cafeteria style restaurants is just another example of the impersonal trend in our society. This evolving trend filters into other businesses such in some supermarkets and in places like Lowes & CVS. There are self-service checkouts in both. I refuse to go to those, and have actually waited in line for a "live" person at the regular checkout line.

Yes, I too avoid those self-service checkouts. I just don't like them, mostly for the reasons you stated.
But, I do like the way they tend to thin out the regular cashier-attended checkout lines...! :D ;) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom