Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

flynnibus

Premium Member
But it's not a problem at all. It's not even a symptom. I understand the argument about profitability initiatives that harm customer satisfaction. But this is a profitability initiative that has absolutely no impact on customer satisfaction, so win-win. The only people harmed by this are people who would otherwise steal soda, and I don't feel badly for those people. How is customer satisfaction harmed by RapidFill in even the slightest way?

If you ever had a mug that didn't work... you'd feel otherwise
If you had to deal with back to back bookings... you'd feel otherwise
If you ever had to get up and help your kids/grandma/other with getting the dispenser to do what you want.. you'd feel otherwise
If you were the type that wants more than one cup full at once... you'd feel otherwise
If you were the type that liked to mix/match or sample.. you'd feel otherwise
If you didn't understand english well.. you'd probably feel otherwise

It boils down to artificial constraints that are not really needed and impede what are normal, acceptable behaviors to the detriment of your customers. Even if a good percentage of customers never encounter those.

Nevermind the cost of the system, etc

flynnibus

Premium Member
If the Coke was coming out clear, that's not the fault of RapidFill. That's the fault of the cast member for not changing the BIBs in a timely fashion. It's like blaming your car that you ran out of gas.

You're oblivious to the actual point is that the castmember was not able to perform guest recovery. Accidents happen... it's what you do in their wake that really leave an impression. Here, the impression is 'stupid technology is blocking me' because they can't use the soda machine even tho they should be entitled to do so. You really need to get out and experience some actual customer interaction...

CaptainAmerica

If you ever had a mug that didn't work... you'd feel otherwise
If you had to deal with back to back bookings... you'd feel otherwise
If you ever had to get up and help your kids/grandma/other with getting the dispenser to do what you want.. you'd feel otherwise
If you were the type that wants more than one cup full at once... you'd feel otherwise
If you were the type that liked to mix/match or sample.. you'd feel otherwise
If you didn't understand english well.. you'd probably feel otherwise
I go to WDW quite often. As I've said before in other threads, my two year old daughter will have been down for five full week trips before her third birthday, and we get mugs every time. I've never experienced any of those things you're describing. As a matter of fact, I do mix beverages from time to time, and again it's never been an issue. I'm not denying that these things happen, but they can't be anything significant if I've never even witnessed a single one of them.

CaptainAmerica

You're oblivious to the actual point is that the castmember was not able to perform guest recovery. Accidents happen... it's what you do in their wake that really leave an impression. Here, the impression is 'stupid technology is blocking me' because they can't use the soda machine even tho they should be entitled to do so. You really need to get out and experience some actual customer interaction...
I worked in a McDonald's for five years. I understand guest recovery. It's not difficult. "I'm sorry ma'am. If you'd like to take a seat, I'll refill this mug for you as soon as I am able and bring it to your table."

flynnibus

Premium Member
I go to WDW quite often. As I've said before in other threads, my two year old daughter will have been down for five full week trips before her third birthday, and we get mugs every time. I've never experienced any of those things you're describing. As a matter of fact, I do mix beverages from time to time, and again it's never been an issue. I'm not denying that these things happen, but they can't be anything significant if I've never even witnessed a single one of them.

You are taking your anecdotal exposure and making blanket statements about how no one could ever see this system as a hinderance. Let that sink in...

CaptainAmerica

You are taking your anecdotal exposure and making blanket statements about how no one could ever see this system as a hinderance. Let that sink in...
No. I am not saying "no one." I am saying "not enough to matter." It's called sampling. I've spent a lot of time in resort QS F&B locations and I have never witnessed a single RapidFill issue. That is not proof that there are never RapidFill issues, but it's very strong evidence that there is no large number of RapidFill issues on any type of regular basis.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No. I am not saying "no one." I am saying "not enough to matter." It's called sampling. I've spent a lot of time in resort QS F&B locations and I have never witnessed a single RapidFill issue. That is not proof that there are never RapidFill issues, but it's very strong evidence that there is no large number of RapidFill issues on any type of regular basis.

Hey, the goalposts were over there...
But this is a profitability initiative that has absolutely no impact on customer satisfaction, so win-win. The only people harmed by this are people who would otherwise steal soda, and I don't feel badly for those people. How is customer satisfaction harmed by RapidFill in even the slightest way?

You got examples... now you are trying to minimize them and change the game to say "not enough to matter". Tsk tsk.

KrzyKtty

So here is a slightly off topic question then. If we are checking in the 10th and checking out on the 18th, with a DDP that would be 8 days worth of meal points. Does the RFID for the cup turn off after we leave on the 18th, or at 11:59 on the 17th?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So, we have reached the point in our society that taking things that don't belong to them is OK as long as there is no posted sign that says don't do that. That we are not responsible for being thoughtful, reasonable and honest for the sake of honesty not because of the consequence of our dishonesty. Or that it comes under the category of "nobody said I can't take it so it must be alright to do so. They didn't say no and the only other answer is yes.

Why wouldn't it work the other way. Why wouldn't one be looking for a sign that says "Please help yourself, take whatever you want" instead of "if you take this we will prosecute".
Pretty much that's what I'm saying. I'm not saying it's right but it's a fact. If people perceive that a rule is not going to be enforced and it's a minor violation they are much more likely to break the rule. A simple sign telling people they are planning to enforce the rule would have probably helped. Nobody wants to be accused of wrong doing or get caught. Even if it's something trivial or minor.

Nubs70

What limit in volume?
If you noticed over the years, the height of the mug remains the same but the inside diameter has changed.

One could simply compensate by increasing refill rate.

Now that refill rate is constrained, WDW has completed the circle on limiting volume.

Jon81uk

If the Coke was coming out clear, that's not the fault of RapidFill. That's the fault of the cast member for not changing the BIBs in a timely fashion. It's like blaming your car that you ran out of gas.

And solvable by ensuring that front line cast have the over ride key on them. So as soon as the syrup is fixed they can issue an instant refill.

EOD K9

Someone with the training and skills needs to confront these people.
IMG_0323.JPG

G00fyDad

True, but my husband would still be peeved that he couldn't get soda for another 3 minutes lol!

Then your husband would be peeved regardless because regular soda machines use syrup just like the Rapid Fill. They can both run out. Having Rapid Fill on the machine is not going to change that. As a matter of fact having no Rapid Refill would probably cause your husband to get peeved a lot more often as the syrup will run out MUCH faster if morons are filling up 2 liter bottles and gallon jugs. :)

KrzyKtty

Then your husband would be peeved regardless because regular soda machines use syrup just like the Rapid Fill. They can both run out. Having Rapid Fill on the machine is not going to change that. As a matter of fact having no Rapid Refill would probably cause your husband to get peeved a lot more often as the syrup will run out MUCH faster if morons are filling up 2 liter bottles and gallon jugs. :)
No, not running out, just having to wait 2 minutes to try a different drink instead. Granted, at that point he normally would say forget it and get sweet tea!

But from what I read, you can mix drinks, and you could get another drink quickly without waiting the two minutes, the key is to not fill it to the 16 ounce limit. As long as you don't exceed the 16 ounce fill gauge, from what I read you can mix and could probably get a fill of at least 5-12 ounces depending on how long it took you to figure out the line you were using wasn't good. If you fill all 16 ounces before you realize that the mixture is off, you are SOL for 2 minutes. :)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
No, not running out, just having to wait 2 minutes to try a different drink instead. Granted, at that point he normally would say forget it and get sweet tea!

But from what I read, you can mix drinks, and you could get another drink quickly without waiting the two minutes, the key is to not fill it to the 16 ounce limit. As long as you don't exceed the 16 ounce fill gauge, from what I read you can mix and could probably get a fill of at least 5-12 ounces depending on how long it took you to figure out the line you were using wasn't good. If you fill all 16 ounces before you realize that the mixture is off, you are SOL for 2 minutes. :)
Just enjoy your cup of iced, sparkling water -- after all, Disney said "unlimited refills" but did not promise any particular flavor. You just need to reset your expectations a little bit lower.

G00fyDad

True.

I guess the reason I am all for this is I have seen my fair share of "special" people taking gallon jugs to fill at the drink station before leaving. One looked at me, knew he was doing something wrong, and before I even said anything (I wasn't planning on it anyway) told me to "STFU and mind your own business." Yeah. THAT is when I started getting in his face and chewing him out. I made him feel like a real piece of trash before he left. I know he felt that way by how small he was trying to make himself as he left. He just wanted everyone to stop staring at him with those looks. It was fabulous. I wasn't even going to say anything to the gutter trash in the first place until I got my button pushed.

Laketravis

I worked in a McDonald's for five years....."

And there are thousands of McDonald's (and Taco Bells, and Whataburgers, etc) that have the fountains out in the dining areas. Not all of them, but many of them across the country. Are they not susceptible to the same supposedly rampant level of "theft" that WDW resorts are? Why have those chains not adopted RFID and metered usage technology at the POS level? As sensitive as their sales and margins have been lately to slumps I'd think that area would be a prime target for revenue optimization.

Laketravis

True.

I guess the reason I am all for this is I have seen my fair share of "special" people taking gallon jugs to fill at the drink station before leaving. One looked at me, knew he was doing something wrong, and before I even said anything (I wasn't planning on it anyway) told me to "STFU and mind your own business." Yeah. THAT is when I started getting in his face and chewing him out. I made him feel like a real piece of trash before he left. I know he felt that way by how small he was trying to make himself as he left. He just wanted everyone to stop staring at him with those looks. It was fabulous. I wasn't even going to say anything to the gutter trash in the first place until I got my button pushed.

Wow. Yeah, that would definitely sway my view on the matter. What resort was that? I've never personally witnessed such abuse but the resorts I stay at are a small representation of the entire site.

dmatt87

And there are thousands of McDonald's (and Taco Bells, and Whataburgers, etc) that have the fountains out in the dining areas. Not all of them, but many of them across the country. Are they not susceptible to the same supposedly rampant level of "theft" that WDW resorts are? Why have those chains not adopted RFID and metered usage technology at the POS level? As sensitive as their sales and margins have been lately to slumps I'd think that area would be a prime target for revenue optimization.
Cost, cost and cost... At the price Disney sales those mugs, it can afford to put RFID chips in them. The paper cups from fast foods like McDonalds would cost way too much to include the chips in them. It would probable end up costing them more than the "lost" of soda they encounter in the year.

Laketravis

Cost, cost and cost... At the price Disney sales those mugs, it can afford to put RFID chips in them. The paper cups from fast foods like McDonalds would cost way too much to include the chips in them. It would probable end up costing them more than the "lost" of soda they encounter in the year.

How much is a WDW mug now? $18? And that's good for the duration of your stay. A large Coke at McDonald's is somewhere between $2-$3, right? And that's supposed to be for one-time use. I think the economics among millions of guests on both sides of the equation are close to the same assuming the level of theft is as great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom