News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

rushtest4echo

I am very interested to hear how management took the news that a bunch of fans on a fourm figured out their super secret gondola project before their big magical announcement! Will be interesting to hear what our insiders have to say once they are free to talk more regarding the subject. I am sure a few at TDO blew a gasket lol

They really don't care. In fact, besides Avatar land, Disney's been exceptionally loose lipped on nearly every project in their history. WDI people blurt stuff out with reckless abandon to superfans on a daily basis about a myriad of projects- many that aren't even greenlit.

People usually know everything that happening in Glendale/Burbank or TDO/TDA well before anything's announced. Be it a new ride, a new policy, or even a change in management structure. They don't try to keep secrets, it's all out in the open and you don't normally even need to sign an NDA when you're invited to the buildings where such things are being developed/discussed. Universal Creative is the opposite, fiercely protective of potential projects and crawling with NDA's. Which is ironic, because if any company has their plans made public before an announcement worse than WDI, it's Universal Creative. ;)

Speaking of Avatarland though, just got a taste of the lighting/electrical lay of the land and I almost cried. People can't fathom how complex it's going to be but that's for another thread.

Kamikaze

The thing that strikes me odd about this project is it the apparent lack of direct link between EPCOT and the Studios. Granted, it's designed as a transportation link for resort guests, but it doesn't even do that efficiently ("L" and "T" curves). I'm not convinced that there would be enough capacity and that it would be fast enough to be convenient.

There is already a link between the two parks by boat. The shape of the lines (from whats been said/hinted in this thread) has more to do with them not encroaching on possible future resorts.

Also, it is going to be much faster than waiting for and taking a bus, simply by the fact that buses are 20 minutes apart and this runs constantly.

P_Radden

They really don't care. In fact, besides Avatar land, Disney's been exceptionally loose lipped on nearly every project in their history. WDI people blurt stuff out with reckless abandon to superfans on a daily basis about a myriad of projects- many that aren't even greenlit.

People usually know everything that happening in Glendale/Burbank or TDO/TDA well before anything's announced. They don't try to keep secrets, it's all out in the open and you don't normally even need to sign an NDA when you're invited to the buildings where such things are being developed. Universal Creative is the opposite, fiercely protective of potential projects and crawling with NDA's. Which is ironic, because if any company has their plans made public before an announcement worse than WDI, it's Universal Creative. ;)

Speaking of Avatarland though, just got a taste of the lighting/electrical lay of the land and I almost cried. People can't fathom how complex it's going to be but that's for another thread.
Not saying you are wrong, but if they "really don't care" then why rush out the Coronado Tower announcement less than 24 hrs after us blowing the lid off the gondola plans?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I was hoping for a people mover, actually. If USO could link their parks together via Hoggswart Express with a themed people mover/ride/attraction, Disney could have done something equally as creative....

I went back and looked at the first post (realizing after that I had seen it before), that layout could definitely be a people mover. It doesn't sound like it will be, but boy oh boy what if it was!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
The thing that strikes me odd about this project is it the apparent lack of direct link between EPCOT and the Studios. Granted, it's designed as a transportation link for resort guests, but it doesn't even do that efficiently ("L" and "T" curves). I'm not convinced that there would be enough capacity and that it would be fast enough to be convenient.

Not odd at all, there is already alternate transport between Epcot and DHS, something else isn't needed. There have been discussions of the possible speed of these gondolas and we are looking at possible only a few minutes between CBR and either DHS or Epcot.

Maeryk

I was hoping for a people mover, actually. If USO could link their parks together via Hoggswart Express with a themed people mover/ride/attraction, Disney could have done something equally as creative....

HE is't a peoplemover, it's a funicular.. two trams (that are built to look like the Flying Scotsman) which are pulled via cable back and forth, always at the same point on the cable from each other.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
They didn't rush the announcement. They had that planned in advance of this thread existing. The announcement would have most likely come from CA anyway.

Not disagreeing with you regarding the announcement, however it was my understanding that the announcement was planned soon but pushed up to stop the gondola talk. The other reason I find it hard to belive that the discovery of the gondola did not ruffle feathers is that they dumped 40+ permits the next day. Poor Dan had to wade threw all of that nonsense. It just seems odd. I could be wrong and TDO just brushed it off, however their actions the hours and days that followed don't necessarily support that.

rushtest4echo

Not saying you are wrong, but if they "really don't care" then why rush out the Coronado Tower announcement less than 24 hrs after us blowing the lid off the gondola plans?

Those two things have nothing to do with each other. Disney has never (to my knowledge) "rushed an announcement" due to the filing of permits or the revelations of fan forums. Again, they could care less. People usually know about projects before Disney even decides to break ground, and often before the project is even approved. We knew about almost every aspect of Star Wars land well before ground was broken. Same for Carsland. Same for Toy Story Land. It's not automatic, some things just don't slip out (which means Spirit or Tom Corless haven't heard and blurted it out). But there's also the discussion between people who know things and aren't at liberty to discuss them. I don't usually follow that trade, but it's a healthy industry of rumors that are often viable. Then again, I stumble on projects that aren't even discussed here (and don't bring them to light) and I don't believe that Disney would care if I linked/made mention of them. Proprietary information is another matter, which is something I and others are better off not discussing. It's still pretty common knowledge though.

Please don't think that Disney's ever had a "oh no, the cat's out of a bag" moment. And even if they did, it wouldn't be for a transportation system and a new hotel wing. Hotel additions are some of the first things that come to light well before announcements. It's never bothered them before, so unless they've had a massive change in philosophy- they really don't care.

Last edited:

truecoat

If they run say one gondola with an average of 5 people every 30 seconds, they could fill a bus every 5 minutes and it's continuous. I used smaller numbers than what's been quoted for an example. They travel fast enough without having to stop for intersections, traffic and lights.
As far as going from Epcot to DHS, I think I mapped roughly 13,000 ft by the maps provided. The rumored gondola moves at up to 8.5 meters per second. If you take 2/3 that speed, the trip takes about 12 minutes. The only part that might bottleneck would be the line from CBR south to DHS. We'll know more once they announce specifics.

P_Radden

Those two things have nothing to do with each other. Disney has never (to my knowledge) "rushed an announcement" due to the filing of permits or the revelations of fan forums. Again, they could care less. People usually know about projects before Disney even decides to break ground, and often before the project is even approved. It's not automatic, some things just don't slip out (which means Spirit or Tom Corless haven't heard and blurted it out). But there's also the discussion between people who know things and aren't at liberty to discuss them. I don't usually follow that trade, but it's a healthy industry of rumors that are often viable.

Please don't think that Disney's ever had a "oh no, the cat's out of a bag" moment. They haven't, and they don't care.
Really? I don't know of any examples to give (except maybe these gondola pIans), but I find it pretty hard to believe a company that was founded in 1923 has never had a "cat out of the bag" moment...

Grimley1968

I would think Disney higher ups would LOVE that this has leaked to sites like this, and that people's imaginations have been stimulated about the possibilities of it. If they can even get a Disney cynic like me gushing about this thing and hyping it with other Disney fans who I know don't frequent this site or others like it, it makes it a brilliant leak.

IMHO, it's a big time conversation-changer in re Disney.

P_Radden

They didn't rush the announcement. They had that planned in advance of this thread existing. The announcement would have most likely come from CA anyway.

Those two things have nothing to do with each other. Disney has never (to my knowledge) "rushed an announcement" due to the filing of permits or the revelations of fan forums. Again, they could care less. People usually know about projects before Disney even decides to break ground, and often before the project is even approved. We knew about almost every aspect of Star Wars land well before ground was broken. Same for Carsland. Same for Toy Story Land. It's not automatic, some things just don't slip out (which means Spirit or Tom Corless haven't heard and blurted it out). But there's also the discussion between people who know things and aren't at liberty to discuss them. I don't usually follow that trade, but it's a healthy industry of rumors that are often viable. Then again, I stumble on projects that aren't even discussed here (and don't bring them to light) and I don't believe that Disney would care if I linked/made mention of them. Proprietary information is another matter, which is something I and others are better off not discussing. It's still pretty common knowledge though.

Please don't think that Disney's ever had a "oh no, the cat's out of a bag" moment. And even if they did, it wouldn't be for a transportation system and a new hotel wing. Hotel additions are some of the first things that come to light well before announcements. It's never bothered them before, so unless they've had a massive change in philosophy- they really don't care.

According to @WDW1974 :
"First, a sincere thanks to @danlb_2000 and @P_Radden for their hard work breaking that crazy (but true!) gondola story and Disney's rush to get ahead of their resort plans (massive as they were described to me) and changes coming and rushing out the Coronado tower and admitting changes were coming to CBR, just not with a new transport system, a new DVC deluxe resort and reduced capacity at CBR."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not disagreeing with you regarding the announcement, however it was my understanding that the announcement was planned soon but pushed up to stop the gondola talk. The other reason I find it hard to belive that the discovery of the gondola did not ruffle feathers is that they dumped 40+ permits the next day. Poor Dan had to wade threw all of that nonsense. It just seems odd. I could be wrong and TDO just brushed it off, however their actions the hours and days that followed don't necessarily support that.

Although I did make a joke about the permits, that was a coincidence. The large batch of permits hit on the 14th, and they were signed on the 12th, but the gondola story really didn't grow legs until the 15th.

rushtest4echo

If you want me to take something seriously, you can begin by not using that particular source of information. ;)

Disney, like all companies, times their patent/permit/copyright applications in line with a schedule of a project. That often means a dump right before an official announcement. It's how almost all big industry works. Of course it's meant to provide a bit of cover and try to keep the press away from digging- but it's standard practice. As far as this particular announcement- Spirit is free to waltz in and claim he was privy to information (of course, without disclosing it before it was announced), but as usual- he's spinning. It's a formula, you can see it in nearly everything he posts. It's not some expose or scandal that somebody found permits for a gondola or a hotel renovation/expansion. Dan should be commended for the work he does- he's got more relevant information that Spirit ever will (from real sources, even if they're just filings and such). I'm surprised he's not working for OBJ! I I'm very glad to see people doing their diligence and finding out what Disney's doing next. I enjoy the conversation, and I like to be a part of it. But to think that Disney cares about this conversation is silly.

Really? I don't know of any examples to give (except maybe these gondola pIans), but I find it pretty hard to believe a company that was founded in 1923 has never had a "cat out of the bag" moment...
That's not what I was referring to. I was discussing WDI and Parks & Resorts in general, and the current (long running) attitude that the company has had. Lax disclosure policies, lax filings of paperwork, lax job postings that reveal future projects, lax 3rd party non-disclosure agreements and so on. This dates back to before Disney/MGM Studios. Obviously, the Florida Project was a "cat out of the bag" moment, but that was 50 years ago (and consequently, only a few years after Imagineering was even a thing). For decades, there haven't been many things that Disney has played close to the vest- if any.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom