Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

wdwgreek

I like how we've come to call it the rat ride, I was just too lazy to write out the full name. Is there a time table for this? Would we know in the next few months if this has been green lite.

Grimley1968

Given their history I imagine WDW would choose to clone a ride from another Disney park versus doing the research, engineering, etc. for a whole new ride. I have no idea how popular the rat ride is in Paris. But if it's a staple of that park, I'd think they'll bring that over in a heartbeat (well, a multi-year heartbeat as is the recent custom). Even though Disney tries to promote both DL and WDW to US visitors, there are very few rides in either location that are truly unique to that location.

I don't really have a problem with this. I just want them to add something to the value of vacations there and absorb crowds, rather than subtract like they've been for years now.

Bandini

Ahh. Never been.

By clone, I was thinking more like how Magic Carpets and Triceratops Spin are essentially the same as Dumbo, etc.
That's what I wondering. So having an attraction from another park added to France wouldn't necessarily be an issue. I agree with you.

Grimley1968

TBH, that's an appealing ride to me. It's not 100% an omnimover ride because it's trackless, but then again maybe that will still have the omnimover quick-load benefit. It looks like it would fit probably better than just about anything else, with the possible exception of a ride like Luigi's in DLR, but this looks more fun than Luigi's.

Kevin_W

TBH, that's an appealing ride to me. It's not 100% an omnimover ride because it's trackless, but then again maybe that will still have the omnimover quick-load benefit. It looks like it would fit probably better than just about anything else, with the possible exception of a ride like Luigi's in DLR, but this looks more fun than Luigi's.

We were in Paris this summer and rode it 2-3 times. We liked it, and it is certainly in the top 2-3 most popular rides in the park. That said, it wasn't "spectacular" to me and merely "good". If Epcot were to add a new attraction, I'd like it to be "spectacular".

I don't know the hourly capacity numbers, but loading/unloading seemed pretty efficient.

DDLand

We were in Paris this summer and rode it 2-3 times. We liked it, and it is certainly in the top 2-3 most popular rides in the park. That said, it wasn't "spectacular" to me and merely "good". If Epcot were to add a new attraction, I'd like it to be "spectacular".

I don't know the hourly capacity numbers, but loading/unloading seemed pretty efficient.
To me not everything has to be spectacular. I'm fine with smaller simpler offerings. The one caveat is the smaller offerings have to cost like their scale. The Rat was expensive, but garnered only moderate results. I want something that is E Ticket priced to be of E Ticket Quality and scale. Adding diversity of attractions can only be looked at as a plus, so long as they're not blowing through capital (like Toy Story Land).

Kevin_W

To me not everything has to be spectacular. I'm fine with smaller simpler offerings. The one caveat is the smaller offerings have to cost like their scale. The Rat was expensive, but garnered only moderate results. I want something that is E Ticket priced to be of E Ticket Quality and scale. Adding diversity of attractions can only be looked at as a plus, so long as they're not blowing through capital (like Toy Story Land).

Very true. I was basing my comments off of the wikipedia estimate of $270 million for the cost of the ride. For that price, I want "spectacular". I'm fine with a lesser ride for a lesser investment.

P_Radden

I just want an new attraction heavy with new technology & effects, new AAs and physical sets. Oh yeah, and can it please be something original?

Too much to ask, I know, I know.

DinoInstitute

The one caveat is the smaller offerings have to cost like their scale. The Rat was expensive, but garnered only moderate results. I want something that is E Ticket priced to be of E Ticket Quality and scale.
Why is that some big caveat you care about though? It's not your money, I don't understand why so many people concern themselves with how much attractions cost.

Grimley1968

Why is that some big caveat you care about though? It's not your money, I don't understand why so many people concern themselves with how much attractions cost.
Because the more the attractions cost for Disney, the more the tickets, resorts and everything else will cost for guests.

As expensive as it has gotten recently, I care very much about keeping future price increases to a minimum.

Bandini

Because the more the attractions cost for Disney, the more the tickets, resorts and everything else will cost for guests.

As expensive as it has gotten recently, I care very much about keeping future price increases to a minimum.
Yup, I don't think Bob Iger will take a pay cut.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Very true. I was basing my comments off of the wikipedia estimate of $270 million for the cost of the ride. For that price, I want "spectacular". I'm fine with a lesser ride for a lesser investment.
Is that the Wiki price? Way too much. Roughly $150m euros in whatever exchange rate you want to use.

That included R&D and the construction of a lavish self contained area (which Epcot would not get as such) plus the inbuilt TSR (which Epcot would not get)

Assuming it came to Epcot of course.

21stamps

I don't pay attention to this side of Disney..so maybe someone with more knowledge on that end could answer this, Has there been a trend of immediate substantial ticket price increase every time a new attraction opens?

Example- in 2016 our local park made 3 new announcements- They will be doing a "Winterfest" next year..park open during the winter holidays (and all of what that entails) when they've previously been closed November-April. They are also building a new GCI coaster, and expanding 2 of the pool areas. All opening in 2017. We expected a price hike, but there wasn't one. I'm definitely not complaining about that and am very glad that my assumptions were wrong.

Edit- @ParentsOf4 would probably know the answer to this. Chime in please?

Last edited:

rle4lunch

It is. And there's no argument it dumbed down the Mexico pavilion. But El Rios storyline was so highbrow any change would probably have been a step down no matter what.

True, but it didn't need to. They could've done a quality storyline that didn't have a friggin' Mexican restaurant mariachi band following them around... Frozen didn't 'dumb' down Nor-Vay. IMO, Maelstrom was quite stupid on its own, without any help from oil rigs or cruise liners. And if I wanted to see a damned infomercial for visiting Norway, I sure as hell wouldn't watch it on my vacation to Disney.

FigmentForver96

True, but it didn't need to. They could've done a quality storyline that didn't have a friggin' Mexican restaurant mariachi band following them around... Frozen didn't 'dumb' down Nor-Vay. IMO, Maelstrom was quite stupid on its own, without any help from oil rigs or cruise liners. And if I wanted to see a damned infomercial for visiting Norway, I sure as hell wouldn't watch it on my vacation to Disney.
You're right, frozen didn't dumb down Norway. It blew it into chunks. Maelstrom at least was about Norway where Frozen is just a ride that happens to be "inspired" by Norway with no actual settings in Norway.

rle4lunch

You're right, frozen didn't dumb down Norway. It blew it into chunks. Maelstrom at least was about Norway where Frozen is just a ride that happens to be "inspired" by Norway with no actual settings in Norway.

Yes, the "rich history" of Norway was thoroughly explained with 3 trolls, an oil rig, and a cruise liner. Thx, but no thx. It was a joke of a ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom