New MK welcome show debuts Jan. 9th

brb1006

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either, it just lacks a little something but it gets the job done nice and quick. I'll probably watch it once and the other days I'll be stood at the rope for Tomorrowland or Liberty Square getting ready to make a brisk walk to the mountains. But overall I'm happy that it moved to the castle, the crush outside and under railroad station is usually a nightmare.

I have a read a lot of unnecessary hate for the new show across a couple of different news sites but it's this new show or you could have ended up with this like the others parks around the world:

Which would you prefer? Though to be honest I'm surprised WDW didn't just go down the announcement route since it takes no effort at all and that's what TDO seems to like unfortunately.

Even Epcot used to make the opening for the park feel special

Brad Bishop

The issue is just that the new show is lacking...something. Kind of low energy, not very creative or memorable. They didn't seem to put much effort into it and just seem to be going through the motions. The monotone announcer certainly doesn't help. Not a huge deal by any means, but it certainly is a downgrade from the previous show.

I've seen the old show in person a few years back and really liked it. It blended in nicely with the morning Main Street entertainment.

The new show, which granted I've only seen on YouTube, seemed "Generic Disney".

brb1006

Well I have always thought the majority of MK shows were corny, but I still enjoy them.lol

I don't think it should be a choice of good vs bad..or worse anyway. I just think that right now this is the better solution...regardless of the show itself, and I hope people realize that. Maybe they made a quick decision and will improve the show..who knows. Either way I'm just glad that a huge crowd of people were moved inside of security lines.

All right -- I'm corny. But I think there's just about a hundred and forty million people in this country that are just as corny as I am.
- Walt Disney

chrisbarry

Absolutely loved the old show. Loved where it was. Loved the train. The countdown. Loved the fact that you were pretty much outside the park and then being let in. If I'm already at Cinderella Castle then I'm already in...way in. I understand that the entrance area with bag searches becoming what they have become may have necessitated this move but I will miss the old show terribly.

Donaldfan1934

Everyone is assuming this is all safety related. I think another aspect is that Mr Mayor and Smoky are not getting any younger and have a hard time filling their roles so this relieves them of that task.
While the fact that they're getting older certainly doesn't help, I don't think it's a coincidence that more metal detectors were added the exact same day the Welcome Show was moved to the castle stage.

Baloo62

Absolutely loved the old show. Loved where it was. Loved the train. The countdown. Loved the fact that you were pretty much outside the park and then being let in. If I'm already at Cinderella Castle then I'm already in...way in. I understand that the entrance area with bag searches becoming what they have become may have necessitated this move but I will miss the old show terribly.
I completely agree and totally understand where you're coming from. I am heart-broken at the loss of the Main Street Station morning show. That may sound overly-dramatic, but I would wager everyone has one special thing they look forward to each and every trip. One thing that gives them actual chill bumps. For me, that special thing was always the opening show at Magic Kingdom. I loved the "Good Mornin'" number and the entry of the train with the characters. Truly magical and set the tone for the entire day. I felt none of those things with the new castle show...not a criticism of the show itself...it was humanly impossible for Disney to create anything there that would have filled the void for me personally. My whole family is still in utter disbelief.

radiohost

Feel bad for the train engineers, many of the ones with seniority had the privlage of operating the train for the welcome show, definitely a cool gig.

Rambler

My wife and I have loved the opening show at the main entrance. The main street singers and characters were a big hit and seeing the smoke and steam of the train coming in were great! Why not move security more the toward water and do the original show earlier to greet those coming into the kingdom and then open main street like the most recent plans like shopping and coffee. The stage show at the castle could introduce the rope drop.

NearTheEars

Of course...the new Muppet's show in Liberty Square is a recent example. I mean, you cannot please all, but I think it was generally accepted as a good thing, with good execution, by most around here...

When it was first leaked, people threw a fit. When it debuted, it was praised. I was pleasantly surprised.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom