News Tomorrowland love

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes, it's all speculation until approved/announced/actually being build.

Given the IP obsessive nature of the company at this time, what does everything think could be used? Wreck It Ralph might still be used (either as a video game or using Hero's Duty/Sugar Rush/Fix It Felix Jr) for the "new" attraction. Other options might be: Tron, Big Hero Six, GotG (or maybe another Marvel property, maybe something based on SHIELD?), Stitch, Star Wars (seems unlikely they'd put it in two parks), Wall-E. The Incredibles?

Tomorrowland could be an option, but given the reception, doesn't seem plausible. Same with other "bombs" like John Carter, Treasure Planet, or The Black Hole. I'm skeptical they would use Miles from Tomorrowland as an IP for a major project given the relatively obscurity of the property.

Computers:
1. Wreck-it Ralph
  • Ralph v. Fix-it Felix
  • Candy Rush fast ride (could be simulated)
  • Hero's Duty Bug Crusher
2. Tron
  • Light Cycle
  • Any version of black light games, could be several... build it like Toy Story Mania

Space:
1. Wall-E
2. Stitch in Space
3. Muppets: Pigs in Space
4. Miles from Tomorrowland (either a kiddie ride, or, a really good innovative family ride where the IP doesn't matter too much)
5. Star Wars (Frozen is in three different parks, so, hey, why not SW?)
6. Mission to Mars (hey, this time, it's not some far off pipe dream, only this time, add your favorite IP character who's a tourist to Mars with you)
7. Flight of the Navigator

Supers:
1. Incredibles
2. Big Hero 6
3. SHIELD (hunting bad inhumans)
4. The Inhumans
5. Sky High

Supers in Space:
1. GotG
2. Ms. Marvel

Science!
1. Self-driving Cars demonstration, but by the cars from Cars. As the demo gets underway, the cars hear a favorite song on the radio and start dancing like Luigi's Cars in Cars Land.
2. Goofy's Time Traveling Machine (or any other favored IP who stumble upon and in a time travel machine with lots of stops in the future.
3. Honey! I Shrunk the Kids!
4. The Rocketeer
5. Cross Dimensions: Professor Honeydo's experiment goes haywire and you transverse multiple dimensions going to the worlds of Monsters Inc., Cars, Zootopia, Wonderland, Mickey's Cartoon World, Wreck-it Ralph, Star Wars, etc...

PiratesoftheHM

And it saves Tower of Terror and Universe of Energy.

By far the biggest reason I want it in Tomorrowland! I want EPCOT Marvel-free and to save TOT. They don't seem keen on a new build for Marvel in DHS, I'd prefer that for GOTG over Tomorrowland, but I'll take what I can get.

Any chance one of the new rumored attractions could be non-IP? Probably not. I'd be okay with GOTG.

I would really prefer TRON for the expansion pad over most other IPs because it is still an IP but it is not as mainstream or a cartoon so it feels like less of an overbearing IP presence than say, The Incredibles.

Kman101

Isn't the Speedway still a possibility as well, either for updates or a replacement? It's becoming hard to keep track of all the "maybes" so on top of Stitch's replacement that leaves the expansion pad as well as the Speedway site (no that's not just my wishing, I really thought Martin might have hinted at that area being looked at)

I'm sure Martin will chime in and clarify whatever he can. Sounds like a lot of places are being "looked at" ...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Computers:
1. Wreck-it Ralph
  • Ralph v. Fix-it Felix
  • Candy Rush fast ride (could be simulated)
  • Hero's Duty Bug Crusher
2. Tron
  • Light Cycle
  • Any version of black light games, could be several... build it like Toy Story Mania

Space:
1. Wall-E
2. Stitch in Space
3. Muppets: Pigs in Space
4. Miles from Tomorrowland (either a kiddie ride, or, a really good innovative family ride where the IP doesn't matter too much)
5. Star Wars (Frozen is in three different parks, so, hey, why not SW?)
6. Mission to Mars (hey, this time, it's not some far off pipe dream, only this time, add your favorite IP character who's a tourist to Mars with you)
7. Flight of the Navigator

Supers:
1. Incredibles
2. Big Hero 6
3. SHIELD (hunting bad inhumans)
4. The Inhumans
5. Sky High

Supers in Space:
1. GotG
2. Ms. Marvel

Science!
1. Self-driving Cars demonstration, but by the cars from Cars. As the demo gets underway, the cars hear a favorite song on the radio and start dancing like Luigi's Cars in Cars Land.
2. Goofy's Time Traveling Machine (or any other favored IP who stumble upon and in a time travel machine with lots of stops in the future.
3. Honey! I Shrunk the Kids!
4. The Rocketeer
5. Cross Dimensions: Professor Honeydo's experiment goes haywire and you transverse multiple dimensions going to the worlds of Monsters Inc., Cars, Zootopia, Wonderland, Mickey's Cartoon World, Wreck-it Ralph, Star Wars, etc...
So basically any character, any movie, as long as it has a vague reference to space or science? Why are single layered themed attractions heralded as some feat of creativity?

aladdin2007

I believe plans for a lot of Tland are still being finalised. It's no surprise the Speedway and area are flagging a lot of points due to age, noise, need for upkeep and investment and being expensive to run.

All of that makes sense for sure. Its still very popular though with families. I have had several friends who have children tell me "oh we love the speedway in tomorrowland, my daughter loves it, my son loves it etc, its one of our favorite things to do in the park"...its just kinda a shame it cant be modernized and more efficient because people really do enjoy it together.

Kman101

All of that makes sense for sure. Its still very popular though with families. I have had several friends who have children tell me "oh we love the speedway in tomorrowland, my daughter loves it, my son loves it etc, its one of our favorite things to do in the park"...its just kinda a shame it cant be modernized and more efficient because people really do enjoy it together.

If they really want Sugar Rush in the park, well, there ya go. A very easy update. It could even be fully enclosed and turned into a nice little car ride. They could even keep you driving your vehicle. I mean, it kind of writes itself, no? Also would be an OK transition between Fantasyland and whatever Tomorrowland will be.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Perhaps, but guest satisfaction is also low. Add this to the points I mentioned above and the alarm bells ring.

Of course a major overhaul, update and overlay could also happen. The bulldozers haven't been booked just yet.

Kman101

Perhaps, but guest satisfaction is also low. Add this to the points I mentioned above and the alarm bells ring.

Of course a major overhaul, update and overlay could also happen. The bulldozers haven't been booked just yet.

Any idea why a Sugar Rush overlay doesn't seem to be the most obvious answer (and I guess it could be)? Just wondering if that's ever even been on the table? I get the problems they see with the attraction and that is prime real estate, but it just seems like a no brainer if they want WiR in the parks. Especially if they decide on an overhaul instead of bulldozing it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Any idea why a Sugar Rush overlay doesn't seem to be the most obvious answer (and I guess it could be)? Just wondering if that's ever even been on the table? I get the problems they see with the attraction and that is prime real estate, but it just seems like a no brainer if they want WiR in the parks. Especially if they decide on an overhaul instead of bulldozing it.
WiR in general seems to have gone very quiet.

HORIZONS_83

While Sugar Rush could be a good overlay to the Speedway, there's the Nintendo land coming to Universal. Would Disney want to invest in an overlay that could be perceived as a cheap/outdated response to whatever Universal builds, themed to Mario Kart, with a more state of the art approach? Personally, I would like to see Disney develop some new and (dare I say) cutting edge on this valuable real estate.

Kman101

If They actually moved fast on projects WIR could have been up and running at this point long before the Nintendo announcement.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So basically any character, any movie, as long as it has a vague reference to space or science? Why are single layered themed attractions heralded as some feat of creativity?

Well, the attractions there now are not really shining examples of a great big beautiful tomorrow...

1. A cart on a track that gives you a tour of the place and sells you on the attractions of TL
2. A spinner whose cart is shaped like a rocket
3. A history of domestic technological advances with only a few references of what's coming 'Tomorrow.'
4. A gas-powered lane-enforced go-kart
5. A basic roller coaster in an enclosed cone with some cool lights and projected spacey stuff
6. A slow moving shooter themed to a character from a non-Tomorrowlandy movie who's toy-character is a space ranger
7. A comedy show themed to creatures from another dimension
8. An encounter with a mischievous alien

And "Future World" suffers from the same problems. In all of the parks, the attractions that really fit the theme of "Tommorrowland" or "The Future" would be:
  • Mission Space
  • Living with the Land
And if you allow fantasy-Tomorrowland (Sci-Fi):
  • Stitch (or Alien) Encounter
  • Star Tours
  • Buzz Lightyear
  • Monster Inc Laugh Floor (trans-dimensional encounter)
Then there's "It's just a ride with spacey decorations"
  • Space Mountain
  • Astro Orbiter
Then there's the "hey it's the Future... oh, no, wait... it's just current tech"
  • Test Track
  • People Mover
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Speed Track
  • Ellen's Energy
  • Spaceship Earth

Then there's the "why is that here theme-wise?"
  • Soarin'
  • Figment (yes, I know you can't have progress without imagination, but you can't have progress without math... do you want a dark ride about math? Besides, with all that imagination, how is it being used to show the future?)
  • Disney/Pixar Shorts
  • Colortopia

So, in the end, the theming of Tommorowland and Future World has always been a hot mess. If you're sticking with those themes (and we're getting hints that WDW may be abandoning those themes anyway), then there are IPs that can help theme it... some better than others.

clemmo

So is SGE still going to close early this year without anything solid for its replacement? Also if we are going to have a larger scale overhaul of TL i'd like to see Speedway, SGE and Laugh Floor get replaced along with a Space mtn year long refurb. I enjoy the laugh floor I just don't think it fits there.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
What's sparking the current rumours of mass investment all Disney World?

Are they actually faltering in the growth they want and have come to the realisation they need to invest. Are they running scared of Uni's aggressive plans? Iger cementing his legacy across domestic parks?

I dare you to cram in more digs at Disney while maintaining the appearance of simply asking a question!

Mike S

While Sugar Rush could be a good overlay to the Speedway, there's the Nintendo land coming to Universal. Would Disney want to invest in an overlay that could be perceived as a cheap/outdated response to whatever Universal builds, themed to Mario Kart, with a more state of the art approach? Personally, I would like to see Disney develop some new and (dare I say) cutting edge on this valuable real estate.
If they truly cared about competing on that level they wouldn't be building TSL. It'll be the cheap/outdated new land for families when compared to Nintendo. There's really no comparison to be made beyond that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom