Express Transportation starting Dec 7th

DisneyPan

I am somewhat puzzled by this. I participated in a survey a few months back about alternate transportation for a fee. so am not surprised to see something offered. What does surprise me is that it is for park to park transport, vs. resort to resort, which is more what the survey seemed to lean toward. While I don't think that I would utilize this since there is already sufficient (in my experience/opinion) transport from park to park, it does ruffle my feathers a bit that it sounds as though regular PH ticket holders can opt for a multi day option, but those of us with AP's can't. That seems just so wrong to me that they wouldn't offer that to AP holders as well. Now if they offered something for going resort to resort at a reasonable cost, I might consider that as I often opt to catch an Uber vs. doing the usually long and convoluted trip with the current transport options.
According to the Cast Member FAQ, AP holders and CMs can buy the $15 AND the $24 option, and the $24 option is available for 7 consecutive days.

Is this service available for Cast Members with Main Entrance Passes and Annual Passholders? Cast Members and Annual Passholders may purchase the single-day service for $15 or the multi-day service for $24 (valid for seven consecutive days from day of sale).

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Exactly. It is a perk. You aren't paying for it. It doesn't cost anything and it acts as an incentive to stay on property. But nobody is changing the existing transportation arrangements. They still exist...and they are still a "Perk". They simply created a new option and decided to charge for it. You want free...you still got it. You want express...well, there is an option for that.

21stamps

Says the lady who just said over an 8 day trip they used the bus once...

I'll repeat the line again...
But I caught an Uber or Cab right next to the bus stop, and read the sign. None of them were even a 20 min posted wait. 8 minutes was the longest one that I read.

I'm about to Uber to Fantasia Gardens. I'll take a photo of the WL bus stop on the way out.

Disneyhead'71

Exactly. It is a perk. You aren't paying for it. It doesn't cost anything and it acts as an incentive to stay on property. But nobody is changing the existing transportation arrangements. They still exist...and they are still a "Perk". They simply created a new option and decided to charge for it. You want free...you still got it. You want express...well, there is an option for that.
The "Free" service isn't free nor is it a perk. It is one of the things that allows Disney charge the high prices it does for it's resorts. If you have to pay to get around the resort, why pay the high on property prices?

21stamps

IMG_8605.JPG

michmousefan

Because TSApre is not about paying to bypass the line. It was a system designed to reduce the load and complexity of screening by reducing the screening needed by not needing to screen everyone equally. It's actually free for most people.

I don't know if you have TSApre or not... I do, and it is not a free service... for anyone. When you apply you pay a fee of $85 for background check and interview, that's good for five years. Nobody gets it for free unless they get "selected" on a given day by an agent in order to open up the lines at security. Those people who are selected at the airport on an ad-hoc basis aren't "known travelers" like those who went through the screening are.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
You also must go through an "interview" in addition to the background check for TSAPre and Global Entry. Gosh I hope Disney isn't going to make us do that for the new "transfer"......but.......they already have our fingerprints........just sayin'

We pay a lot for tickets and for staying at Disney Resort. The prices are upper than years ago. I think paying for transportation is unfair. Disney must consider that they are losing people on the grounds that there are more theme parks. They should take care of their costumers.

vershine

The Harvard Business grads are at it again. Sorry, after paying for a deluxe resort stay and Ultimate pass, I don't like being nickled and dimed for something that is and should remain complimentary. Next will be the free Disney Magic Express from MCO to the resorts for an added-on fee.

One item of note: They state in the article that this "express" bus will run every 30 minutes. What is express about that? Since I tend to leave the park at odd times, I have never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus to get back to my resort.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I don't like being nickled and dimed for something that is and should remain complimentary

The Express Transfer did not exist a week ago. It did not exist a month ago. It was never complimentary. In this specific instance - Disney is not taking something that was free and now decided that they want to charge for it. Disney created a brand new option (that will benefit a certain type of guest) and said: for this type of experience there will be a charge.

Like you, I share the opinion that this is not something I will use. My park hopping day consists of a park in the morning/afternoon hours - a couple of hours recharging back at the resort - and then a second park at night. Going from one park directly to another isn't something that interests me. But it is a "brand new" option. Not an up-charge on an existing one.

Last edited:

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Just because it isn't itemized on your hotel bill doesn't mean it's free. Each resort pays into the transportation system from their budget. Where do you think that money comes from? I'll give you a clue, it's not coming out of Mickey's wallet...

drizgirl

Just because it isn't itemized on your hotel bill doesn't mean it's free. Each resort pays into the transportation system from their budget. Where do you think that money comes from? I'll give you a clue, it's not coming out of Mickey's wallet...

Does Mickey even have a wallet? Does he even NEED a wallet? I mean, when he needs something, doesn't he just reach into one of our pockets? ;)

vershine

The Express Transfer did not exist a week ago. It did not exist a month ago. It was never complimentary. In this specific instance - Disney is not taking something that was free and now decided that they want to charge for it. Disney created a brand new option (that will benefit a certain type of guest) and said: for this type of experience there will be a charge.

Like you, I share the opinion that this is not something I will use. My park hopping day consists of a park in the morning/afternoon hours - a couple of hours recharging back at the resort - and then a second park at night. Going from one park directly to another isn't something that interests me. But it is a "brand new" option. Not an up-charge on an existing one.

I wasn't aware that it was available previously. However, it does sound like they may push it when checking in next week. I am leery that service on the complimentary buses will diminish. I will post of my findings when I return on the 18th. Luckily, I am staying at the Beach Resort and can walk to 2 parks.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

It is 100% free. If I drove to Disney Springs and then decided I wanted to eat at the Wilderness Lodge, I'd simply take a WDW bus from DS to WL. There is no cost to do so. No fare, no ticket, no pass, and no money necessary. Its Free.

You are correct that the hotel pays into transportation. But it is a cost of doing business. Chances are: that if a local, or non-resort guest takes a bus to their property, more than likely they will be eating there/drinking there/shopping there. If they want to mark up their room rates so that a percentage of the nightly fee goes into their transportation, landscaping, holiday decorations budget etc.., that is their prerogative.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I like that they are adding options. I'll probably never use it but it is another transportation option. Don't understand all the fuss. Disney provides free transportation. They aren't required to provide free transportation, yet they do. Yeah, sometimes the wait can be long depending on seasonality and other factors, but hey...you ain't paying for it. It's amazing how many people complain about something that is free (cue the.."for what they charge for food, tickets and rooms - it should be free" folks) . You do have other options, like a car, a taxi, uber, and now an express Disney transfer. You don't want to pay for it...great...don't use it.

Please tell me you are joking

You really think what they provide is "free" and we "ain't paying for it" - you can't be serious.

For one example DVC members pay for transportation as a part of their dues

flynnibus

Premium Member

What if I offered you a perk for doing business with me.. say.. a free gas fill-up. It's a great perk.. one you actually go out of your way to do business with me because you are expecting that free gas. But then one day.. I say 'sorry, I'm all out'. No biggie you say.. but it keeps happening again and again.. but irregularly. Now the thing you shaped your decisions around.. keeps letting you down.

Do you say 'oh well, its just a perk'.. or do you start to lower your opinion of me because I can not consistently give you what I promised you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom