Most nostalgic for you?

Adam Snider

Original Poster
I recently saw a thread that asked a favorite part about the people mover which inspired me to write this. I briefly talked about how when I was younger seeing the Epcot prototype and going through the Buzz ride were pretty much all I remembered about Disney World. I went once when i was a kid and recently started going around twice a year and those two parts of the ride always bring back great memories. So I wanted to ask what show, attraction, restaurant or really anything at Disney is nostalgic for you for whatever reason and why?

Siren

I miss the giant fountain in the Polynesian lobby -- entering the lobby felt like walking into the ocean or something. That was very nostalgic for me.

But, since that's no longer here, I guess it would be Splash Mountain and ToT. We were all used to Cedar Point and Kings Island.

So, the first time I rode Splash Mountain, I was totally blown away. And, at the bottom of the huge drop, I honestly thought the ride was over, but there was more. I think I was hooked from that moment. LOL.

And, it was the same thing with Tower of Terror. I thought it was going to be like the Power Tower at Cedar Point, where you just drop down and the ride is over. So, I was totally taken by surprise with all of the theming and the ghost scenes looked so real. I had never seen anything like it before.

Also, AK -- like, the entire park. It was totally brand new and it didn't have much at the time but the energy and excitement I felt will stay with me forever.

The Empress Lilly

Most nostalgic...of what is still there?

The monorail through the Contemporary. The music in the bathroom at Imagination. The dinosaurs at Energy. Going up into SSE, even without the fog.

Most nostalgia has been firmly beaten out of the MK, which now feels like a mean old hag who's had too much plastic surgery rather than the innocent princess of old. I get nostalgic on the odd ride at JC, Tiki, or anything RoA. Small World too, the Teacups, and for some reason eating at the Tomorrowland Terrace (the old one), because I've got vivid memories of that. Most of all Space, everything, from the music to the queue to the ride.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

If You Had Wings. One of my few memories from my first trip.
God I loved that ride. I think I've ridden it more than that boy did Snow White.

The music still kills me. I realise you wouldn't build it anymore nowadays, but for my liking they could've left it for all eternity and I would've returned to it to the end of time.

It's so seventies, so decidedly MK. Even if it was a big commercial it embodies a certain innocence of the young WDW.

KBLovedDisney

My nostalgic spot is standing in the walkways at Epcot, listening to the Innoventions loop with my eyes closed. ...I can see the glorious yesteryear of Epcot with Horizons and World of Motion off in the distance (and Journey Into Imagination with Dreamfinder...that was my childhood favorite ride)...I made myself sad.

Weather_Lady

it's a small world was my first-ever ride at WDW, and although I remember little of that first visit, it holds a special place in my heart.

There is also a bench seat along the walkway between Tomorrowland and the Magic Kingdom hub that is very special to me. On my mother's last visit to WDW before her death -- her health was failing and we all knew it would be the last -- she and my Dad slow-danced to the music of "Wishes!" in that spot while my sister and me and our respective husbands watched the fireworks bursting overhead. I get teary-eyed every time I pass that place, thinking of that magical night.

Last edited:

GVentola

it's a small world was my first-ever ride at WDW, and although I remember little of that first visit, it holds a special place in my heart.

There is also a bench seat along the walkway between Tomorrowland and the Magic Kingdom hub that is very special to me. On my mother's last visit to WDW before her death -- her health was failing and we all knew it would be the last -- she and my Dad slow-danced to the music of "Wishes!" in that spot while my sister and me and our respective husbands watched the fireworks bursting overhead. I get teary-eyed every time I pass that spot, thinking of that magical night.

That is such a sweet and bittersweet memory you shared of your mother and father slow dancing. I had to read it more than once.

GVentola

Speaking of nostalgia, I have noticed the background music in Tomorrowland plays instrumental versions of "If You Had Wings" and "The Best Time of Your Life" ("Now Is the Time" from Carousel of Progress). It makes me feel giddy, like the past and modern days are somehow both present at once. A theme park where the extinct (or updated) attractions exist side by side with the new ones.

The Empress Lilly

There is also a bench seat along the walkway between Tomorrowland and the Magic Kingdom hub that is very special to me. On my mother's last visit to WDW before her death -- her health was failing and we all knew it would be the last -- she and my Dad slow-danced to the music of "Wishes!" in that spot while my sister and me and our respective husbands watched the fireworks bursting overhead. I get teary-eyed every time I pass that spot, thinking of that magical night.
tr12.gif

TXDisney

My parents took us I believe 7 times to WDW growing up (before I was 18). And there's so many memories between all the trips, some still there some gone. In liberty square we always took a picture in the thing where you put you head and arms through (not sure what it's called). They'd always take us to a character breakfast each trip as well, but would change where. The jumping water fountains at Epcot was where we'd take a rest quite a few trips. I remember being scared of ToT asa kid and hated even going near the ride. Oddly it's one of my favorite rides at WDW now. But for me the best memories are just spending a whole week with my family. Still is my favorite part about WDW.

Incomudro

Most nostalgic for me are the classic rides; Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and the Jungle Cruise.
That trio harkens me back to my very first trip, before there was an Epcot.
Of course, add the walk up Main Street towards the castle to that.
Since bringing my children there, I've got my own new nostalgia's created with them.
These center around Space Mountain, Everest, Aerosmith, and ToT.
Add to this, the Beach Club hotel, and the two water parks.

JIMINYCR

Walking into the Poly...even though there have been changes. It was the first resort we ever stayed at. Any visit to Poly gives me reminders of that first time.
PoTC... reminds me of Walt Disney World TV show in my youth that gave me the life long desire to visit WDW.
Goofy statue in MK.... We always took photo of DS next to it every trip and we have a sequence of shots as he grew up.
Splash Mtn... My most loved attraction, always the first one I hit when returning to WDW. Everything about SM screams Disney to me and connects me to WDW. Watching a video on line or hearing a line from the ride or a few bars of a song makes me think about past trips and thinking about a next trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom