A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

RSoxNo1

I think the main annoyance lots of people had is down to their own racism - a black man got an Oscar out of it, which wound people up the wrong way.

I really like Song of the South and think trying to ban it is far more racist than the movie itself - I wonder if some of the people who want it kept locked away haven't even seen it?
disclaimer.jpg

Magenta Panther

Have you seen the new film? It's actually really beautiful and simple, evocative of a more sentimental, old-fashioned type of Disney storytelling. The new design for Elliot works in the new film as it is a completely different story than the original. It's not really a remake at all - it shares a title and some character names, and that's it. I would seriously recommend seeing it with an open mind, as movies like it don't often get made these days.

You know, I have heard and read good things about it, and I'll definitely rent it. The thing is, the movie isn't doing as well as it might have, and I wonder if the new Elliott design had something to do with it, because nostalgia. But if the new version tells a great story, then that's awesome. I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks. :)

doctornick

So, Netflix will be replacing the "premium" cable channel release (was previously Starz getting the releases for Disney). Is there any "basic" cable channel that would get the movies eventually in the future, like I think FX has done? Usually movies end up on more basic cable channels after a number of months on the "premium" channel.

Does anyone know?

michmousefan

You know, I have heard and read good things about it, and I'll definitely rent it. The thing is, the movie isn't doing as well as it might have, and I wonder if the new Elliott design had something to do with it, because nostalgia. But if the new version tells a great story, then that's awesome. I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks. :)
It's certainly not a big hit, but it only dropped 36% last weekend, and has grossed more in three weeks than The BFG struggled to make in nine (BFG is doing better internationally, but I bet that would be the case for any film with a Spielberg pedigree). I wonder how much better it might have performed with a superior release date. I really liked the movie, but might not be an objective critic as I did not hold the original in any favor.

Figments Friend

Tony Baxter RULES.

This concept of his ( that he created as a teenager, mind you...) is the perfect example of a timeless, truly unique Disney Theme Park experience that even today's jaded Guests could enjoy.
Who wouldn't be charmed by riding a carousel horse and then suddenly having said horse 'leap' off the merry-go-round and go on a colorful adventure...?
Regardless of if you like the film 'Mary Poppins' or not, the ride experience itself is full of appeal on it's own.
Pure fantasy.
That is utterly timeless and appeals to everyone.
It has everything going for it...and has a truly imaginative way of using a unique ride system to boot!

Why was this never built...?
I already know the answer.....but i just have to vent -

Why oh why does 'today's Disney' waste money and creative resources on Marvel overlays and IP branding on things that don't even need it when they have incredible and UNIQUE experiences like this ...in house.....sitting on a shelf...?

A teen aged Tony Baxter created this!
What are today's Imagineers doing...?
Slapping 'Guardians of The Galaxy' overlays wherever Burbank insists they need to go...

Grrrr....

Drives me absolutely nuts to see such incredible talent and Attraction potential wasted.

-

Last edited:

Mike S

Tony Baxter RULES.

This concept of his ( that he created as a teenager, mind you...) is the perfect example of a timeless, truly unique Disney Theme Park experience that even today's jaded Guests could enjoy.
Who wouldn't be charmed by riding a carousel horse and then suddenly having said horse 'leap' off the merry-go-round and go on a colorful adventure...?
Regardless of if you like the film 'Mary Poppins' or not, the ride experience itself is full of appeal on it's own.
Pure fantasy.
That is utterly timeless and appeals to everyone.
It has everything going for it...and has a truly imaginative way of using a unique ride system to boot!

Why was this never built...?
I already know the answer.....but i just have to vent -

Why oh why does 'today's Disney' waste money and creative resources on Marvel overlays and IP branding on things that don't even need it when they have incredible and UNIQUE experiences like this ...in house.....sitting on a shelf...?

A teen aged Tony Baxter created this!
What are today's Imagineers doing...?
Slapping 'Guardians of The Galaxy' overlays wherever Burbank insists they need to go...

Grrrr....

Drives me absolutely nuts to see such incredible talent and Attraction potential wasted.

-
Wasn't it Tony who said "nobody ever dreamed of riding a flying tire" regarding the failure of Luigi's? I hope his pupil who did Frozen moves on to bigger and better projects.

Now that we've seen it, the big question: would this be acceptable in the UK pavilion? Yay or nay?

Figments Friend

Wasn't it Tony who said "nobody ever dreamed of riding a flying tire" regarding the failure of Luigi's? I hope his pupil who did Frozen moves on to bigger and better projects.

Now that we've seen it, the big question: would this be acceptable in the UK pavilion? Yay or nay?

Yes, that is a recent quote from Tony regarding that Attraction.
And he was right.

The Flying Saucers 'worked' because everyone at some point has had fun fantasizing about flying in a alien spacecraft.
That has appeal in itself.
What is so appealing about flying on a car tire...?
Who has ever dreamed about doing that..?
Darn few.

Tony 'gets it'.
More people currently working on projects need to take a lesson from his wisdom.

Regarding Michel ( Tony's 'apprentice' ) .....he is working on the forthcoming 'Frozen' themed land for one of the overseas Parks i believe.
I could be wrong, but i thought i had heard his name attached to the project.
The concept art i have seen looks like his work.
Should be quite nice.
I'm interested in learning if he will also be in charge of Disneyland's 'copy' that has been rumored to happen in the future.

Despite the placement of 'Frozen Ever After' in Epcot, i was rather impressed with how nice the queue and loading area came out.
The overall Attraction was a lot better then i was expecting, but when i learned his name was attached to it i felt better knowing we might see something decent.
Michel has a good eye and a good design sense.
His artwork is lovely to look at.
He will do very well on future projects, i am sure, but the question is how much will he be 'allowed' to do...

Regarding placing a Attraction based on Tony's 'Jolly Holiday' concept within the UK Pavilion at Epcot -
I say 'yay'.
I would be all for it.

It 'fits' the theme of the area within the context of the UK Pavilion well, has a charming exterior, and offers a great new Attraction that is unique and much needed in that particular Park.
I would love to see something like that concept come to life there.
Seems like the perfect fit to me.
Tony originally designed it for Disneyland's Fantasyland, but i see it as a excellent foil to World Showcase.

-

Last edited:

truecoat

Sad thing is, if they build a Poppins attraction, it will probably be based on the newer movie coming out.

Magenta Panther

It's certainly not a big hit, but it only dropped 36% last weekend, and has grossed more in three weeks than The BFG struggled to make in nine (BFG is doing better internationally, but I bet that would be the case for any film with a Spielberg pedigree). I wonder how much better it might have performed with a superior release date. I really liked the movie, but might not be an objective critic as I did not hold the original in any favor.

Frankly, the original isn't a fave of mine either. But I was still kind of appalled by Elliot's new design in the remake. I can't help but think that it may have been a little off-putting to those who loved the original.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom