A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

MerlinTheGoat

EDIT- Actually i'm wondering something, is Micechat's information perhaps more current than the May quarterly report? If so, perhaps spending HAS actually declined at WDW recently.

Before anyone else responds to me: I didn't say that attendance was not down at WDW, we know that is true. I'm saying that Micechat always frames their comments in a way to be overly negative regarding WDW. Why say "With attendance and profitability problems now hampering the Walt Disney World property out in Florida"? "problems"? "hampering"? You can comment on WDW's attendance decline without making it sound like they are struggling to pay the bills.
I don't consider them incapable of paying the bills (and i'm certain that neither does Micechat), but Disney would definitely consider it a problem that needs addressing. Where it becomes a problem for myself and likely others on this site (and probably what Micechat is referring to) is HOW Disney goes about addressing this perceived problem. The go-to solution during the past decade or two has generally been to cut budgets from the guest experience (upkeep, cleanliness, food quality, attraction projects etc) and increasing prices across the board (later providing "discounts" to manufacture an artificial "value" for customers).

Last edited:

Mike S

The comments on Disneyland's Facebook post about the "celebration" of the Tower of Terror has overwhelmingly bad comments. I'm just seriously shocked (I guess, not really given who we're dealing with) that they have such total disregard for the fans. I've never seen such a negative reaction from such a wide audience about Disney Parks decision.
Good. I couldn't be happier to hear that they're getting slammed hard for this. They deserve every last bit of it for their arrogance.

TP2000

All of a sudden, within the last 90 days, there's a huge amount of construction and expansion heading to Disneyland that's been officially announced. Some of it hasn't been announced directly, but it's obvious something is happening, like the clearing out of the bus loading zones and re-routing of the monorail system to allow DCA to expand northward by 10 acres or so.

Eastern Gateway complex, 4-Star Hotel on Downtown Disney parking lots, Guardians of the Galaxy being "the first in a growing universe" of Marvel attractions for DCA, Fantasyland expansion pad being cleared next to Star Wars Land, Fantasmic! 2.0, stealing MSEP from WDW while Paint The Night gets a rehab, etc.

There's got to be a reason for that, after all the expansion and additions the Disneyland Resort already saw from 2010 to 2015. Micechat's continuing thesis in their last few updates is that Bob Chapek loves Anaheim, loves the executive team there, loves the current financial results from Anaheim, and has been convinced there's more growth possible there. This latest Miceage Update from Micechat just furthers that Chapek-Anaheim thesis with more solid information and rumors.

If that upsets some CM's in WDW, then so be it. But obviously something big is going on in Anaheim. And you can't blame Micechat for that.

Mike S

All of a sudden, within the last 90 days, there's a huge amount of construction and expansion heading to Disneyland that's been officially announced. Some of it hasn't been announced directly, but it's obvious something is happening, like the clearing out of the bus loading zones and re-routing of the monorail system to allow DCA to expand northward by 10 acres or so.

Eastern Gateway complex, 4-Star Hotel on Downtown Disney parking lots, Guardians of the Galaxy being "the first in a growing universe" of Marvel attractions for DCA, Fantasyland expansion pad being cleared next to Star Wars Land, Fantasmic! 2.0, stealing MSEP from WDW while Paint The Night gets a rehab, etc.

There's got to be a reason for that, after all the expansion and additions the Disneyland Resort already saw from 2010 to 2015. Micechat's continuing thesis in their last few updates is that Bob Chapek loves Anaheim, loves the executive team there, loves the current financial results from Anaheim, and has been convinced there's more growth possible there. This latest Miceage Update from Micechat just furthers that Chapek-Anaheim thesis with more solid information and rumors.

If that upsets some CM's in WDW, then so be it. But obviously something big is going on in Anaheim. And you can't blame Micechat for that.
Where's WDW's champion :(

ThemeParkJunkee

For giggles I decided to check out Disneyland's Facebook page to read comments about the "farewell to ToT" events scheduled. Wow. I had a preconceived notion the DL/CA fans were more neutral on this but it appears they are just a vehement in their hatred as WDW fans. Apparently, some people only get hoppers in order to ride ToT at CA.

BrianLo

I've never seen such a negative reaction from such a wide audience about Disney Parks decision.

The same reaction occurred for Aladdin. Maybe with less people, but equally as vocal.

That's precisely why they feel justified ignoring the blow back. Rightly or wrongly. I personally can't blame them for not letting fans dictate any and every decision.

Long gone are the days of any sort of unifying voice on the Internet.

PiratesoftheHM

The same reaction occurred for Aladdin. Maybe with less people, but equally as vocal.

That's precisely why they feel justified ignoring the blow back. Rightly or wrongly. I personally can't blame them for not letting fans dictate any and every decision.

True, people like that, who don't want to change Aladdin or Fantasmic at all, or the eventual people who will be upset about Monsters Inc leaving (I'm sure there will be people, not nearly as many though) make the big problems like IP overload in Epcot and Guardians Tower of Terror seem like similar fan whining.

Unfortunately the Aladdin freak-outers didn't realize that stage shows aren't meant to be permanent, and they make things like this seem just silly. This is a much bigger issue than replacing an IP stage show with a different IP (and the new show is well done, imo).

It's like the boy who cried wolf.

GiveMeTheMusic

True, people like that, who don't want to change Aladdin or Fantasmic at all, or the eventual people who will be upset about Monsters Inc leaving (I'm sure there will be people, not nearly as many though) make the big problems like IP overload in Epcot and Guardians Tower of Terror seem like similar fan whining.

Unfortunately the Aladdin freak-outers didn't realize that stage shows aren't meant to be permanent, and they make things like this seem just silly. This is a much bigger issue than replacing an IP stage show with a different IP (and the new show is well done, imo).

It's like the boy who cried wolf.

Fans need to be more picky about what they protest and whine about. The Aladdin backlash was so disproportionate that I'm sure any remaining fan credibility was lost in most newer TDA execs' eyes.

Cesar R M

Don't know what drivel you've been reading, but Disney has not stated anything about guest spending declining. Here are the May numbers:
View attachment 158329
As you can plainly see - Parks & Resorts reported a 4% increase in revenue.
Here is the 3rd quarter results:
View attachment 158333
And here they report a 6% increase in revenue. A little research, besides listening to certain people here, goes a long way towards reality.
4% to 6% growth is pretty clearly related to the approximate 10% price hike in almost everything ( plus "dynamic" park pricing)?

JoeCamel

4% to 6% growth is pretty clearly related to the approximate 10% price hike in almost everything ( plus "dynamic" park pricing)?

Yes, they are forcing people to pay more for rooms, tickets and food. Gee I wonder how long that goes on before the uninformed say "enough!"? The informed left several years ago leading to the attendance decline, those that are still going are footing the bill for those who left and that will not last for long. Maybe 2018 or so?????

RSoxNo1

For me, removal of the Aladdin musical hurts more than the removal of DCA's Tower.

RSoxNo1

Fans need to be more picky about what they protest and whine about. The Aladdin backlash was so disproportionate that I'm sure any remaining fan credibility was lost in most newer TDA execs' eyes.
I disagree here. Aladdin is the best Disney stage show I've ever seen. It's removal hurt more than Horizons, Imagination, Toad, Alien Encounter, DCA's Tower, you name it. They tried to remove it for Toy Story years ago before Cars Land and the backlash saved it. They just needed to get Frozen in the park and that was the venue to do it. It was a mistake.

Nick Pappagiorgio

Since Soarin' is now over the world and not California and ToT is being rethemed to GotG, the California Adventure theme is being lost in this park. Will this become TPFKACA?

I think that park is just going to be the catch all much like DMGMS/DHS has been. A core celebrating vintage California, with a bunch of random stuff on the perimeter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom